Dustin Colquitt done in KC

Sounds like he’s being released. Move would save about 2 million.  

Harold R. Kuntz

@HaroldRKuntz3
· 35m
Dustin Colquitt just posted this on Instagram. This may be it after 15 years in a #Chiefs uniform and countless efforts to help in the KC community. “Been an honor that I never took for granted. Thank You KC.”

2 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I wouldn't be surprised if LDT isn't far behind

What would be the rationale for redoing his contract?  Not saying I don't disagree but does it give us an advantage to cutting him this year while pushing some dead money towards next year or was it done just for the draft weekend?   

13 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

What would be the rationale for redoing his contract?  Not saying I don't disagree but does it give us an advantage to cutting him this year while pushing some dead money towards next year or was it done just for the draft weekend?   

Not sure. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised.  With his injuries and now being a licensed doctor.  

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

Losing our offensive MVP for nearly a decade.

2 hours ago, xen said:

MVPunter

Man, I don't know why I hate this take so much but I do.  (Almost as bad as "Damien was the SB LIV MVP.")

First, a punter can never be an offensive MVP.  The value just doesn't work that way.

We still had LJ, then Bowe and JC, during the bad early team years of Colquitt's career.

Then before too long we transitioned into the Smith years where at the least the offense was no longer abysmal.  For receivers Bowe was around for a bit then Kelce started to emerge, then Hill.  Then of course we get to Patrick.  I'm skimming over a lot and I'm sure I'm missing some notable players but the point should be clear.

Longevity + being good at your position relative to the league doesn't make you a team or offensive MVP, even if the surrounding offense was really bad at times.

To quote the Michael Jordan .gif:  Stop it.  Get some help.

Having said that, he seems like a class guy and I'm glad he got a ring.

17 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Man, I don't know why I hate this take so much but I do.  (Almost as bad as "Damien was the SB LIV MVP.")

First, a punter can never be an offensive MVP.  The value just doesn't work that way.

We still had LJ, then Bowe and JC, during the bad early team years of Colquitt's career.

Then before too long we transitioned into the Smith years where at the least the offense was no longer abysmal.  For receivers Bowe was around for a bit then Kelce started to emerge, then Hill.  Then of course we get to Patrick.  I'm skimming over a lot and I'm sure I'm missing some notable players but the point should be clear.

Longevity + being good at your position relative to the league doesn't make you a team or offensive MVP, even if the surrounding offense was really bad at times.

He helped our defense with field positions more than the offense did for quite a while and it includes the Smith-era up to an extent. Says more about our offense than anything else but he was the one non-defensive player that actually did his job well consistently. Also glad he's leaving with a ring, wondering if last year would have been better but they probably wanted him to sitck around for one final push. 

Just now, sith13 said:

He helped our defense with field positions more than the offense did for quite a while and it includes the Smith-era up to an extent. Says more about our offense than anything else but he was the one non-defensive player that actually did his job well consistently. Also glad he's leaving with a ring, wondering if last year would have been better but they probably wanted him to sitck around for one final push. 

There's probably nothing I can say to convince you, but in short:  analytics have shown that the minor field position advantages from a great punter just don't contribute to winning as much as some people might believe.  Unlike QBs, being a great punter never is correlated with whether a team is winning or not, which I think we can see from Colquitt's career.  Even when the offense was bad, all those guys I mentioned were much better at contributing to points and wins.

No one is saying that he wasn't a good punter or that he wasn't valuable on some level.  But to suggest he was ever offensive team MVP just misunderstands the relative value of positions and plays within football.

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I always took that monicker as a diss to the pathetic offenses we had.  

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

There's probably nothing I can say to convince you, but in short:  analytics have shown that the minor field position advantages from a great punter just don't contribute to winning as much as some people might believe.  Unlike QBs, being a great punter never is correlated with whether a team is winning or not, which I think we can see from Colquitt's career.  Even when the offense was bad, all those guys I mentioned were much better at contributing to points and wins.

No one is saying that he wasn't a good punter or that he wasn't valuable on some level.  But to suggest he was ever offensive team MVP just misunderstands the relative value of positions and plays within football.

Early in his career it seems like a lot of his punts were muffed.  It was claimed that the left foot punting was spinning the ball the opposite way that returners were used to.  I don't know if that's true and, if it was, they seem to have figured it out.  Regardless, we can get a sufficient punter for this team for much less money.  Great chief and I wish him well. 

I think the MVP thing with a punter was mostly just a cute play on the initials. No one would seriously argue that the punter was any team's most valuable player.  Colquitt was great for us for a long time,  and deserves all the accolades he gets. All you can really ask a punter to do is punt,  and that he did well.

I get more aggravated by the recent drumbeat for "analytics". "If all you ignoramuses knew your analytics like I  do,  you would, of course,  agree with me. You should NEVER draft a RB in the first round, punters have no significant value, this is now strictly a passing game... " Yadda,  yadda, yadda.  If statistics were the end all and be all of football success,  there would  be little need for coaches or general managers. Just invest in some good software,  hire a few tech guys,  and some number-crunching "Analysts", and presto,  Super Bowl! 

I really respect guys like Veach, who not only can master the numbers,  but see talent with his eyes,  and recognize the subtle character and personality traits that make a championship team, all while navigating the NFL labyrinth of cap rules. 

23 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Early in his career it seems like a lot of his punts were muffed.  It was claimed that the left foot punting was spinning the ball the opposite way that returners were used to.  I don't know if that's true and, if it was, they seem to have figured it out.  Regardless, we can get a sufficient punter for this team for much less money.  Great chief and I wish him well. 

Absolutely true the spin of a left footed kick has an awkward opposite spin and it definitely caused problems for returners. Teams got smart though and used left footed Jugs machines, some would even bring in left footed punters to practice against before games to counter this. It’s still a challenge and helped make him unique. He was also an very reliable holder.  He’s got an outside shot at the HOF if he can play a few more seasons somewhere. Most likely he will have to settle for our ring of honor.  

3 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Well I don't know about you guys but I always used it ironically because at the time we sucked out loud as a team.  More of a statement on the teams lack of talent at the time.

36 minutes ago, AlwaysChiefs said:

I think the MVP thing with a punter was mostly just a cute play on the initials. No one would seriously argue that the punter was any team's most valuable player.  Colquitt was great for us for a long time,  and deserves all the accolades he gets. All you can really ask a punter to do is punt,  and that he did well.

I get more aggravated by the recent drumbeat for "analytics". "If all you ignoramuses knew your analytics like I  do,  you would, of course,  agree with me. You should NEVER draft a RB in the first round, punters have no significant value, this is now strictly a passing game... " Yadda,  yadda, yadda.  If statistics were the end all and be all of football success,  there would  be little need for coaches or general managers. Just invest in some good software,  hire a few tech guys,  and some number-crunching "Analysts", and presto,  Super Bowl! 

I really respect guys like Veach, who not only can master the numbers,  but see talent with his eyes,  and recognize the subtle character and personality traits that make a championship team, all while navigating the NFL labyrinth of cap rules. 

Analytics is just a tool like any other.  It should be there to help you sort and prioritize your evaluations, not to make your decisions.

6 minutes ago, xen said:

Analytics is just a tool like any other.  It should be there to help you sort and prioritize your evaluations, not to make your decisions.

Good analytics also understands its own limits and isn't just putting blind faith in any number that someone can come up with.

This bums me out.  That said, since Mahomes became our QB we have had the fewest punts in the league and the 3rd lowest punt return average.  As much as I love Colquitt, in theory a below average punter could do just fine in Kansas City.  Our special teams tackling and coverage has been stellar under Toub.  We just need a kicker with an okay leg and good hangtime while letting the special teamers clean up the rest.

I'm in no way trying to minimize what Colquitt has been able to do in the NFL.  I'm just understanding that its hard to pay a guy 2.6 million to do a job that will no longer require such a high amount of skill due to what the offense does for the kick return game.

This guy needs to go into the ring of honor immediately and maybe he can land a roll in the organization as a coach or ambassador instead of going to another team.