Mahomes 5th year option exercised

it gives the team flexibility to address Jones and to see how the cap numbers will work. Announcing this just removes any media bullshit that Mahomes himself or the chiefs organization has to deal with. Its a good move as long as Mahomes is happy. Sure...it may cost more down the line, but that is a okay risk with a player such as Mahomes.

2 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

it gives the team flexibility to address Jones and to see how the cap numbers will work. Announcing this just removes any media bullshit that Mahomes himself or the chiefs organization has to deal with. Its a good move as long as Mahomes is happy. Sure...it may cost more down the line, but that is a okay risk with a player such as Mahomes.

I don't know about that.  I mean he wasn't even league MVP this year.  Plus he hasn't won a superbowl in, like, months.

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I do have a question, this doesn’t concern pat but in general.

in the new cba 5th year options now cost almost as much as franchise tags. I wonder if this is retroactive to draft picks prior to this season

14 hours ago, xen said:

Yeah I would have thought Pat needed the competition.  Guess they're just going to hand Pat the job instead of making him earn it. 

At first releasing Kyle was a real head scratcher, but it looks like they were going with pat all along. Probably because of the shortened offseason and wanting continuity. He’s familiar with the offense and has super bowl experience. 

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

At first releasing Kyle was a real head scratcher, but it looks like they were going with pat all along. Probably because of the shortened offseason and wanting continuity. He’s familiar with the offense and has super bowl experience. 

This could be a mistake.  I hope it works out for us.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:32 PM, jetlord said:

What's the advantage of announcing that now?  There's probably a good reason, but Mahomes will cost more when he finally is signed long term. 

Teams have to submit their decision to the NFL at the beginning of May. So NFL or NFLPA probably announces all the 5th year options at the deadline.

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

Teams have to submit their decision to the NFL at the beginning of May. So NFL or NFLPA probably announces all the 5th year options at the deadline.

Still confusing.  Mahomes is just going into his fourth year so why do the Chiefs need to announce a fifth year option.?

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Still confusing.  Mahomes is just going into his fourth year so why do the Chiefs need to announce a fifth year option.?

Gotta do it a year in advance....I believe the 5th year option is also ONLY guaranteed for injuries and the player can be released/traded anytime before the start of that 5th year season and the team is not on the hook....unless the player fakes an injury 

So I guess we could still cut Pat before next season muahaha

33 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Have to do it a year in advance otherwise the option is lost. Not that Mahomes would hit FA but that's what would happen after year 4 in case of no tags.