Just fell out of my chair laughing - Dee Ford

The One Contract Holding Back the San Francisco 49ers"

"Even after the Buckner move, the 49ers are still dealing with salary cap issues, which can largely be attributed to the contract the team gave defensive end Dee Ford." 

"...Ford made a rather minimal impact for this squad.  He was limited to just 11 regular season games in 2019 due to injury, and recorded just 14 tackles and 6.5 sacks."

https://www.12up.com/posts/one-contract-holding-back-the-san-francisco-49ers-dee-ford-01e7ds5peagj

I wasn't thrilled with how much the Chiefs gave up for Clark, but I was happy to see they traded Ford.  WOW, Ford injured?  Who coulda see that coming???

Glad he's gone and we didn't overpay but when he was in the lineup that 49ers Dline was nasty.   That one trick forces a qb up into a pocket or over into Bosa's lap.   Like I said glad we didn't give him a contract but his one trick is a nice trick.

34 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Glad he's gone and we didn't overpay but when he was in the lineup that 49ers Dline was nasty.   That one trick forces a qb up into a pocket or over into Bosa's lap.   Like I said glad we didn't give him a contract but his one trick is a nice trick.

But he only does that half the time because he’s hurt so often. It’s why the 49ers couldn’t move him.  Not to mention reality Frank Clark had more sacks in one playoff game for us this year than Dee Ford has in eight playoff games in his career.  

23 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

But he only does that half the time because he’s hurt so often. It’s why the 49ers couldn’t move him.  Not to mention reality Frank Clark had more sacks in one playoff game for us this year than Dee Ford has in eight playoff games in his career.  

No I get it.   I'm beyond glad we didn't sign him and I'm not at all upset with what we gave up for Clark.    

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

No I get it.   I'm beyond glad we didn't sign him and I'm not at all upset with what we gave up for Clark.    

Dee Ford had really won me over as a pash rusher in 2018 and I mainly didn't want to sign him because of the back issues. He seemed like a good guy to actually have play under the franchise tag. But after he completely dissappeared in the AFC Title game (outside of the unexusable mental gaffe) I was ready to move on. 

If I could be a fly on the wall for one thing about this current iteration of the Chiefs, it might be what the other players thought of Dee Ford.  For the most part they seem like a very tight-knit group but you had both Clark (who wasn't on the team at the time) and Kelce go after Ford about the offsides in public comments.  Usually guys have their teammates' backs, even over a dumb mental mistake.  Was it just that unforgivable from an on-field perspective or was there more to the story about why they didn't like Ford?

9 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

If I could be a fly on the wall for one thing about this current iteration of the Chiefs, it might be what the other players thought of Dee Ford.  For the most part they seem like a very tight-knit group but you had both Clark (who wasn't on the team at the time) and Kelce go after Ford about the offsides in public comments.  Usually guys have their teammates' backs, even over a dumb mental mistake.  Was it just that unforgivable from an on-field perspective or was there more to the story about why they didn't like Ford?

I think part of it is the change in coordinators.  Sutton had some talented guys--Ford, Peters, Houston, Berry, DJ for example--But they never seemed to act like or play like a cohesive unit.  And they didn't seem to have a team first approach.  And I think some of that came from the top.  Spags seems to have a better ability to get these guys on the same page. 

13 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I think part of it is the change in coordinators.  Sutton had some talented guys--Ford, Peters, Houston, Berry, DJ for example--But they never seemed to act like or play like a cohesive unit.  And they didn't seem to have a team first approach.  And I think some of that came from the top.  Spags seems to have a better ability to get these guys on the same page. 

I think what you're saying is true but doesn't totally explain what I'm asking.  Regardless of how cohesive they are or aren't on the field it's uncommon for guys to throw someone under the bus like that.  Did they dislike Ford personally?  Did they think he wasn't tough enough (injuries, mentally, etc.)?  Or did they just see him as a scapegoat for the Sutton era?

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

I think what you're saying is true but doesn't totally explain what I'm asking.  Regardless of how cohesive they are or aren't on the field it's uncommon for guys to throw someone under the bus like that.  Did they dislike Ford personally?  Did they think he wasn't tough enough (injuries, mentally, etc.)?  Or did they just see him as a scapegoat for the Sutton era?

I guess I'm saying that I believe that they didn't really care about each other or like each other that much. And the concept of team 1st and us against the world didn't exist. 

5 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I guess I'm saying that I believe that they didn't really care about each other or like each other that much. And the concept of team 1st and us against the world didn't exist. 

If that's true - and I'm not saying it is or it isn't - then some of that's on Reid.  The Kelce-Ford thing is crossing between the offense and defense and isn't really an issue for the DC.

I do think there was probably some resentment between the offense and the defense, like the stories of Patrick going ballistic in the locker room after the AFCCG.

Clark was really disappointing early in the year. Especially regular season against Texans when he wiffed on a tackle that basically gave them the W. His undisclosed and unreported injury may be to blame for early season disappointment. But Clark at least had some fire in the locker room and never stopped trying to rally. Ford isn’t a leader. Just having a more versatile guy who is a leader and lights a fire under everyone was worth it in the end. Bob Sutton and the prior roster seemed to be filled with “gosh golly jee wiz” guys. Honey Badger and Clark seemed to change the culture instantly. And they were actually on the field almost all year.

5 hours ago, reesebobby said:

One year change from a 3 4 to a 4 3 along with coordinators and this is what they did. This is from a link in another thread.

defense that rose from 26th in defensive DVOA and 24th in points allowed per game in 2018 to 14th in DVOA and seventh in points allowed in 2019

Ever since the weird 'wrong way to chase Frank Gore' gaff early his first year, I figured he's a KNUCKLEHEAD!

AFC Championship game proved it, but at huge cost!  smh

Tbh, makes me fear for Thompson and his fumble recovery against the Titans . . . .

Just now, the Warparty said:

Tbh, makes me fear for Thompson and his fumble recovery against the Titans . . . .

Do you mean the kickoff fumble recovery against the Texas?

I too wonder what he's thinking every time I watch that replay.

16 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I am guessing maybe they have given up on Thompson.  Signed Washington, used first round pick on RB.  That shows me that they have moved on from him, maybe officially come training camp.  Could be wrong though but we have a lot of RB and they all won't make the team.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:27 PM, Adamixoye said:

Yep

On 5/6/2020 at 11:57 AM, timmy_6262 said:

I am guessing maybe they have given up on Thompson.  Signed Washington, used first round pick on RB.  That shows me that they have moved on from him, maybe officially come training camp.  Could be wrong though but we have a lot of RB and they all won't make the team.

IMO Edwards-Helaire is a better more proven version of what they thought Thompson is.