Salary CAP could contract 30-80 mil next season

I heard it mentioned today they might allow teams to exempt a few large contracts signed before this actually happens. If that’s the case the timeline for signing Mahomes just got a lot smaller.  If I was Jones I’d have that franchise tag signed tonight. 

chdGsw9A_bigger.jpg

Something to monitor: The salary cap in 2021 could potentially take a massive hit due to COVID-19. "The various estimates I've gotten from executives to owners is that the cap could be down anywhere $30M to $80M in 2021" — @AdamSchefter

33 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I heard it mentioned today they might allow teams to exempt a few large contracts signed before this actually happens. If that’s the case the timeline for signing Mahomes just got a lot smaller.  If I was Jones I’d have that franchise tag signed tonight. 

chdGsw9A_bigger.jpg

Something to monitor: The salary cap in 2021 could potentially take a massive hit due to COVID-19. "The various estimates I've gotten from executives to owners is that the cap could be down anywhere $30M to $80M in 2021" — @AdamSchefter

Only way this happens is missed games.  I didn’t even see this happening if games are played with no fans, tv money is that big.

4 minutes ago, Balto said:

Only way this happens is missed games.  I didn’t even see this happening if games are played with no fans, tv money is that big.

This breaks it down. Ticket sales and concessions are the least money makers for the NFL and its teams.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/062515/how-nfl-makes-money.asp

Tv money is the driving force and dwarfs everything else but if the math is correct each team stands to lose around 60 million for the year from ticket sales alone if the games are played with no fans.  I doubt the owners are going to just take that loss without trying to get some of it back.  

15 hours ago, Balto said:

No fans means a loss of a staggering 3.2 BILLION in revenue.  Owners aren’t gonna eat that! And the CBA means they have a means not to have too.  

15 hours ago, kkuenn said:

This breaks it down. Ticket sales and concessions are the least money makers for the NFL and its teams.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/062515/how-nfl-makes-money.asp

25% of revenue lost is a massive number. It’s not as much as tv which is why the NFL will go to extremes to play even with no fans. But it’s a HUGE revenue loss that could dramatically impact the salary cap with its numbers directly reflected in total revenue.  Good news is this should hopefully only be temporary. But nobody knows. 

Would be great if they actually gave some context to the rumors. Are they contemplating a shorter season leading to drop in TV money or do the fans spend too much money in the stadiums, etc?  Regardless, I just don't see the owners letting a season of low income mess up the cap structure. They will probably absorb the loss to be compensated by other means. 

58 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Would be great if they actually gave some context to the rumors. Are they contemplating a shorter season leading to drop in TV money or do the fans spend too much money in the stadiums, etc?  Regardless, I just don't see the owners letting a season of low income mess up the cap structure. They will probably absorb the loss to be compensated by other means. 

Agree.  I'd think the league would make some accommodation rather than forcing some teams to shed players.  Maybe just use the previous year's cap number rather than reduce it to fit the percentage of league revenues. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Agree.  I'd think the league would make some accommodation rather than forcing some teams to shed players.  Maybe just use the previous year's cap number rather than reduce it to fit the percentage of league revenues. 

I’m sure they can reduce the percentage of growth in following years to offset the loss of one year.   Would be crippling to every team minus the teams who have a ton of cap space and usually that is only 1-2 teams.  At the end of the day we got Mahomes and they don’t.