Chiefs run defense in 2020

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Running QBs need to forget what they have done in college before they can actually start in the NFL. RG3 was a great example of a very good arm ruined by the QB not learning the NFL and LJ is likely going to be next. Watson was a similar guy who ended up playing NFL-style and flourished. Young QBs need to learn that mobility in the NFL is rarely about moving the chains but rather keeping the play alive. 

LJ is a totally different runner than RG3 or any other running QB

43 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

2018 Chiefs 12 of 15 4th Down Conversions

2019 Ravens  17 of 24 4th down conversions

Goes against your stat above for ounts whem you try it 9 more times on 4th done with less times percentage wise converting it.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Goes against your stat above for ounts whem you try it 9 more times on 4th done with less times percentage wise converting it.

actually, it supports the argument. We wemt for it more whereas you scored more on downs 1-3.

2018 Chiefs scored a total of 63 TD's, 2019 Ravens scored 58 TD's

80% vs 70% in 4th down conversions. The more you try the more chance of being stopped.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

LJ is a totally different runner than RG3 or any other running QB

Every running QB comes up as different than others, that's why they make a big impact early on but defenses end up adjusting to them and career starts going downhill. 

9 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

actually, it supports the argument. We wemt for it more whereas you scored more on downs 1-3.

2018 Chiefs scored a total of 63 TD's, 2019 Ravens scored 58 TD's

80% vs 70% in 4th down conversions. The more you try the more chance of being stopped.

But you had more 4th downs. Meaning not as effective on 3rd downs etc in moving the chains. I guess i see it is if we had 9 more chances we would have had 9 less punts and more than 52 tds?

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Umm

Yes but it shows just how more lethal we were. All i am saying is if the 4th down chances were equal it would have been even better stats for us. We did not need as many 4th downs to score more Tds than punts. That is all as to why i was saying it ran counter to your stat of 4th down.

13 hours ago, dhitter said:

I would hate for Lamar Jackson to suffer the same fate as RG3, Jackson is a different style runner than RG3, He changes direction much quicker and seems to glide by defenders. He is fun to watch. No shame in admitting it.

I think the Redskins sending RG3 back out onto the field to start that playoff game when he was clearly injured is what did him in. Shredded his knee. 2 ligaments and a meniscus all torn. He was never the same after that. 

After investing what they did in him, sending him out to start that game against Seattle with a brace and pronounced limp was borderline criminal. 1 wildcard game is not worth the face of the franchise.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:56 PM, kkuenn said:

Yes but it shows just how more lethal we were. All i am saying is if the 4th down chances were equal it would have been even better stats for us. We did not need as many 4th downs to score more Tds than punts. That is all as to why i was saying it ran counter to your stat of 4th down.

I was agreeing with you!

On 6/25/2020 at 4:48 PM, xen said:

The chiefs being more effective on 4th down really just supports the argument that we need to go for it even more on 4th.  

I agree. It would be interesting to see the avg distance needed that was converted and was not converted for all teams

17 hours ago, dhitter said:

I would hate for Lamar Jackson to suffer the same fate as RG3, Jackson is a different style runner than RG3, He changes direction much quicker and seems to glide by defenders. He is fun to watch. No shame in admitting it.

He is fun to watch- I admit it even as much as I was a Joe Flacco fan. But with Lamar on the field, there is no more getting up to go to the bathroom on 3rd and 9 or 3rd and 15 because you know either a) they will get the 1st down or b) they will go for it on 4th down.

Plus, he does not take any brutal hits. You stand in the pocket and get hit harder than Lamar did last year. Or you can get injured on a QB sneak

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think the Redskins sending RG3 back out onto the field to start that playoff game when he was clearly injured is what did him in. Shredded his knee. 2 ligaments and a meniscus all torn. He was never the same after that. 

After investing what they did in him, sending him out to start that game against Seattle with a brace and pronounced limp was borderline criminal. 1 wildcard game is not worth the face of the franchise.

Probably because it was Shanahan and he didn't know what he had in Cousins who was on the bench

Came across this reading an article. Man I hope he learns to protect himself. I like having good QBs in the league.

Lamar Jackson’s playing style worries us long term

Lamar Jackson has 323 rushes for 1,900 yards in his first two seasons in the NFL. He’s also been sacked 39 times. That means he has taken more than 400 hits in two years when you factor in hits not resulting in sacks.

It’s unlikely Jackson — or anyone — has as long of a career as someone who runs less than half as much. While he has yet to show durability concerns in the NFL, they feel almost inevitable. In fact, sports analytics group “Sports Injury Predictor” speculates that there is a 25 percent chance of significant injury for the Baltimore quarterback in 2020.

https://fansided.com/2020/06/26/patrick-mahomes-or-lamar-jackson-best-qb/4/

On 6/25/2020 at 10:34 AM, Handswarmer said:

2018 Chiefs 12 of 15 4th Down Conversions

2019 Ravens  17 of 24 4th down conversions

So you team needed to go for it more because ..........they couldn't get the first down in 3 attempts?   

Also Mahomes was successful 80% to LJ's 70%.....

Thanks for proving what we already knew. 

Again, I like LJ and he's really really good but his season wouldn't have won the MVP in 2018 any way you stack it.

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Came across this reading an article. Man I hope he learns to protect himself. I like having good QBs in the league.

Lamar Jackson’s playing style worries us long term

Lamar Jackson has 323 rushes for 1,900 yards in his first two seasons in the NFL. He’s also been sacked 39 times. That means he has taken more than 400 hits in two years when you factor in hits not resulting in sacks.

It’s unlikely Jackson — or anyone — has as long of a career as someone who runs less than half as much. While he has yet to show durability concerns in the NFL, they feel almost inevitable. In fact, sports analytics group “Sports Injury Predictor” speculates that there is a 25 percent chance of significant injury for the Baltimore quarterback in 2020.

https://fansided.com/2020/06/26/patrick-mahomes-or-lamar-jackson-best-qb/4/

Honestly, I only saw about 5-6 hits that were considered real hits. He's not getting crushed on every play. Most of his runs are to the outside and he steps out of bounds at the last second.

And you lost Mahomes last season on a QB sneak so I am not worried.

11 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

So you team needed to go for it more because ..........they couldn't get the first down in 3 attempts?   

Also Mahomes was successful 80% to LJ's 70%.....

Thanks for proving what we already knew. 

Again, I like LJ and he's really really good but his season wouldn't have won the MVP in 2018 any way you stack it.

Were you not paying attention? I made that point earlier in the thread.

If his 2019 season were to be put against Mahomes 2018 the conversation in the National media would be entertaining.....

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Honestly, I only saw about 5-6 hits that were considered real hits. He's not getting crushed on every play. Most of his runs are to the outside and he steps out of bounds at the last second.

Yeah i would be. I mean Mahomes was injured on a sneak. Lamar does a lot more running and any freak thing can happen. Remember Jimmy G and his dumb ass trying to cut back in and blowing his knee? I hope it does not happen but chances go up the more your qb runs.

19 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah i would be. I mean Mahomes was injured on a sneak. Lamar does a lot more running and any freak thing can happen. Remember Jimmy G and his dumb ass trying to cut back in and blowing his knee? I hope it does not happen but chances go up the more your qb runs.

Why did Luck retire? Got hit in the pocket alot.

Cam Newton threw himself all over the place and paid the price. Not worried about LJ8

On 6/25/2020 at 4:48 PM, xen said:

The chiefs being more effective on 4th down really just supports the argument that we need to go for it even more on 4th.  

100% agree, I think if we had this mentality it would change our play calling also making us more aggressive on 1st and 2nd down.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:53 PM, kkuenn said:

" For a quarterback who runs as frequently as Jackson does, he has also done an excellent job of avoiding big hits. When I checked in on Jackson last October, I found that he was only brought down with a tackle by an opposing player on about half of his rushing attempts. He almost never slides, but he's adept at getting out of bounds and often gives himself up before running the risk of taking a hit in the middle of the field. This is a skill, especially in light of how Andrew Luck and current Ravens backup Robert Griffin had their careers altered by taking so many big hits."- Bill Barnwell, ESPN.com

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

" For a quarterback who runs as frequently as Jackson does, he has also done an excellent job of avoiding big hits. When I checked in on Jackson last October, I found that he was only brought down with a tackle by an opposing player on about half of his rushing attempts. He almost never slides, but he's adept at getting out of bounds and often gives himself up before running the risk of taking a hit in the middle of the field. This is a skill, especially in light of how Andrew Luck and current Ravens backup Robert Griffin had their careers altered by taking so many big hits."- Bill Barnwell, ESPN.com

All it takes is one hit.  Of course that could happen to any player, but he more you expose yourself as a QB the greater your chances.  I do agree that lamar is good at limiting the big hits but the history of running qbs is not good unless you have freaky Randall Cunningham flexi-knees.

1 hour ago, xen said:

All it takes is one hit.  Of course that could happen to any player, but he more you expose yourself as a QB the greater your chances.  I do agree that lamar is good at limiting the big hits but the history of running qbs is not good unless you have freaky Randall Cunningham flexi-knees.

Lamar has them Flexi-knees....and some extra jukes

1 hour ago, xen said:

Mike Vick got hurt in a preseason game on a routine tackle.

The Dog thing cost him more missed games than anything

1 hour ago, xen said:

It doesn't even take one hit.  Jamaal Charles tore two ACLs in non contact injuries.  The more you run the ball in the NFL the higher your chance of injury. 

On 6/28/2020 at 7:59 AM, Handswarmer said:

Agree the guy has great vision and the speed/agility to avoid the big hit. He might be the 1 running qb who can last. I guess as long as age and his body permits. Hasn't been a qb with his running skills ever, and at his size only benefits him.