Chiefs run defense in 2020

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

It doesn't even take one hit.  Jamaal Charles tore two ACLs in non contact injuries.  The more you run the ball in the NFL the higher your chance of injury. 

True any player is a cut away from an acl.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

It doesn't even take one hit.  Jamaal Charles tore two ACLs in non contact injuries.  The more you run the ball in the NFL the higher your chance of injury. 

I honestly believe some players are at a higher risk because of the construction of their bodies vs others. Brandon Carr hasn't missed a start in 13 years at Cornerback/Defensive Back. Hard to explain that.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

I honestly believe some players are at a higher risk because of the construction of their bodies vs others. Brandon Carr hasn't missed a start in 13 years at Cornerback/Defensive Back. Hard to explain that.

I don't think there's any question that genetics are part of it.  And your home field plays a role.  And luck.  But there's also no doubt that 176 rushing attempts is putting him at higher risk of serious injury.  

Statistical variation is also a thing --- there are ~1500 players in the NFL at any given time, then factor in the year-to-year (or even month-to-month) turnover rate.  Genetics are probably a factor, but you'd also expect some long, relatively injury-free careers just as outliers from a large sample.  It's really hard to determine whether something is just random variation or if there is an underlying cause when you're talking about those sorts of cases.

10 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I don't think there's any question that genetics are part of it.  And your home field plays a role.  And luck.  But there's also no doubt that 176 rushing attempts is putting him at higher risk of serious injury.  

3 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Statistical variation is also a thing --- there are ~1500 players in the NFL at any given time, then factor in the year-to-year (or even month-to-month) turnover rate.  Genetics are probably a factor, but you'd also expect some long, relatively injury-free careers just as outliers from a large sample.  It's really hard to determine whether something is just random variation or if there is an underlying cause when you're talking about those sorts of cases.

I noticed here in Baltimore that when they went to a grass field a few years back, there have been less knee injuries than on Turf.

That being said, of all the plays of his I watched over the last 2 years, he's been hit hard about 5-6 times. Not like Cam was abused or Luck just didn't get down.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, xen said:

The chiefs being more effective on 4th down really just supports the argument that we need to go for it even more on 4th.  

Just a little fuel for the fire.  The aggressiveness index sorts out situations where most head coaches have historically gone for it on fourth down.  This gives a clearer picture of which coaches are more aggressive.  Warning, read the methodology first. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/aggressiveness-index-2019

This really shows how historically aggressive Harbaugh was this year.  Nobody in nfl history has come close.  Ironically the 4 guys that were most aggressive in 2019 were all from Andy's coaching tree, yet Andy ranks pretty low.

Both superbowl coaches this year ranked in the bottom 10.  Interesting.

20 hours ago, xen said:

Just a little fuel for the fire.  The aggressiveness index sorts out situations where most head coaches have historically gone for it on fourth down.  This gives a clearer picture of which coaches are more aggressive.  Warning, read the methodology first. 

This really shows how historically aggressive Harbaugh was this year.  Nobody in nfl history has come close.  Ironically the 4 guys that were most aggressive in 2019 were all from Andy's coaching tree, yet Andy ranks pretty low.

As I said before, You could feel it on 3rd down, no matter the distance, they would be going for it and succeed....

4th and 2 from the 7 yd line at Seattle....

On 7/5/2020 at 7:40 PM, xen said:

Any notion that teams should simply use a chart and go for it on 4th down in any situation according to it its plain wrong in my opinion. It's more information for a good coach and play caller. But they better understand whats actually happening at that point and time and how player matchups and scheme are dictating different actions. You should never play call scared (which is what many coaches do at critical times) but you also shouldn't play call stupid. (which means not adapting to what is actually happening).  

On 7/6/2020 at 1:49 PM, Handswarmer said:

As I said before, You could feel it on 3rd down, no matter the distance, they would be going for it and succeed....

4th and 2 from the 7 yd line at Seattle....

How worried are you about Jackson aging and getting slower and has to rely just on his passing game?  

2 hours ago, Balto said:

How worried are you about Jackson aging and getting slower and has to rely just on his passing game?  

Not at all.

PFF- Highest graded 2nd-year QBs since 2015 Patrick Mahomes (2018) - 93.2 Lamar Jackson (2019) - 91.1 Carson Wentz (2017) - 84.9 Deshaun Watson (2018) - 82.7

Looking at QBR numbers — from inside the pocket. The Top 5 QBs in ‘19...
1. Matthew Stafford — 82.7 (8 games)
2. Lamar Jackson — 77.5
3. Drew Brees — 76.6
4. Patrick Mahomes — 75.6
5. Russell Wilson — 67.9

Highest first down rate on dropbacks in 2019:
1. Ryan Tannehill - 41%
2. Drew Brees - 40%
3. Lamar Jackson - 39%
4. Dak Prescott - 38%

Lamar Jackson's 2019 play-action passing stats:

▫️
14 TDs (T-1st)

▫️
0 INTs

Not at all.

PFF- Highest graded 2nd-year QBs since 2015 Patrick Mahomes (2018) - 93.2 Lamar Jackson (2019) - 91.1 Carson Wentz (2017) - 84.9 Deshaun Watson (2018) - 82.7

Looking at QBR numbers — from inside the pocket. The Top 5 QBs in ‘19...
1. Matthew Stafford — 82.7 (8 games)
2. Lamar Jackson — 77.5
3. Drew Brees — 76.6
4. Patrick Mahomes — 75.6
5. Russell Wilson — 67.9

Highest first down rate on dropbacks in 2019:
1. Ryan Tannehill - 41%
2. Drew Brees - 40%
3. Lamar Jackson - 39%
4. Dak Prescott - 38%

Lamar Jackson's 2019 play-action passing stats:

▫️
14 TDs (T-1st)

▫️
0 INTs

Yeah, the Chiefs should have passed on Mahomes and taken Jackson the next season.  What could they have been thinking to have made such a blunder?

18 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yeah, the Chiefs should have passed on Mahomes and taken Jackson the next season.  What could they have been thinking to have made such a blunder?

JFC, you guy really take the cake. The man asked me if I was worried about LJ's passing game, I provide stats that say I am not and you turn it into a Mahomes vs LJ post?

I have repeatedly said the Pat is a better overall QB than LJ8- let me say it again so it sinks in:

Patrick Mahomes is a better QB than Lamar Jackson- overall - I do not regret my team drafting LJ8. He is getting better every day.

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

JFC, you guy really take the cake. The man asked me if I was worried about LJ's passing game, I provide stats that say I am not and you turn it into a Mahomes vs LJ post?

I have repeatedly said the Pat is a better overall QB than LJ8- let me say it again so it sinks in:

Patrick Mahomes is a better QB than Lamar Jackson- overall - I do not regret my team drafting LJ8. He is getting better every day.

Lighten up, Francis.  It was a weak attempt at sarcastic humor. 

8 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Lighten up, Francis.  It was a weak attempt at sarcastic humor. 

Plus, and I know Hands will never admit this, but Patrick Mahomes is a better QB than Lamar Jackson- overall - One can only assume that he deeply regrets his team drafting LJ8 since he's getting worse every day.