Center or Guard

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Meh. We aren’t f*cked at all.  We just won the World Championship with Reiter starting every game. 

Probability has a way of biting people in the butt.   Put enough trash in front of Mahomes and and that probability increases more than any of us are comfortable with.   

What’s your all’s thoughts on Kelvin Beachum, OT?  If you read up on him you will see he plays above his size, 6’3 308, at tackle.  Has had some great years and some crappy ones.  Maybe it’s time he finally moves down to guard.  He might be looking for a ring even though he is only 30.  Is still a free agent

1 hour ago, Balto said:

What’s your all’s thoughts on Kelvin Beachum, OT?  If you read up on him you will see he plays above his size, 6’3 308, at tackle.  Has had some great years and some crappy ones.  Maybe it’s time he finally moves down to guard.  He might be looking for a ring even though he is only 30.  Is still a free agent

I'd rather see them take their lumps and throw Niang into the fire than spend money here. I mean LDT is gonna get our QB hit anyway. Might as well have Niang in there learning and growing, instead of this bum who's already reached his super low ceiling.

Warford I could see, because he actually played RG, and RG is the position we are in need of most. But if they're gonna convert a tackle to guard, let it be the kid they drafted who has a sky high ceiling.

11 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'd rather see them take their lumps and throw Niang into the fire than spend money here. I mean LDT is gonna get our QB hit anyway. Might as well have Niang in there learning and growing, instead of this bum who's already reached his super low ceiling.

Warford I could see, because he actually played RG, and RG is the position we are in need of most. But if they're gonna convert a tackle to guard, let it be the kid they drafted who has a sky high ceiling.

Makes sense

I'd prefer we put Wylie back at RG where he looked his best, and Rankins at LG with an open competition between Reiter, Allegretti and Williams at C.   LDT can be a backup and Niang can be the swing tackle.   That's my preference if we don't make any other moves.   I don't like paying LDT that kind of money as a backup but I like the fact he has lots of experience.   If Allegretti, who i've heard has a mean streak, could take over that spot then we might be avg across the front which is a good bit better than last year.   We seem to know what to look for in centers and I believe the rumors that Cesar Ruiz was probably our #1 guy.   If true that means we realize Reiter is not a long term answer.   

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I'd prefer we put Wylie back at RG where he looked his best, and Rankins at LG with an open competition between Reiter, Allegretti and Williams at C.   LDT can be a backup and Niang can be the swing tackle.   That's my preference if we don't make any other moves.   I don't like paying LDT that kind of money as a backup but I like the fact he has lots of experience.   If Allegretti, who i've heard has a mean streak, could take over that spot then we might be avg across the front which is a good bit better than last year.   We seem to know what to look for in centers and I believe the rumors that Cesar Ruiz was probably our #1 guy.   If true that means we realize Reiter is not a long term answer.   

They better not have used their 3rd rounder on a swing tackle unless the plan is 100% for him to start at one of the tackle spots next year.

I honestly can't believe that your goal is for us to be average up front. I think Rankin and Niang (who Veach already said is gonna start off at OG) can both be above average players and our tackles already both are. 

14 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

They better not have used their 3rd rounder on a swing tackle unless the plan is 100% for him to start at one of the tackle spots next year.

I honestly can't believe that your goal is for us to be average up front. I think Rankin and Niang (who Veach already said is gonna start off at OG) can both be above average players and our tackles already both are. 

I think our tackles are very good.  I meant the interior of the line being good.   Which would be an upgrade over last year.   Niang is the future starter at one of the tackle spots next year.    I honestly think they move away from Fisher which would be a huge savings.   Being the swing this year would be important because last year it cost us Rankins and it reinjured Mahomes ankle.   

12 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think our tackles are very good.  I meant the interior of the line being good.   Which would be an upgrade over last year.   Niang is the future starter at one of the tackle spots next year.    I honestly think they move away from Fisher which would be a huge savings.   Being the swing this year would be important because last year it cost us Rankins and it reinjured Mahomes ankle.   

Thats true. But if they stayed healthy all year at OT,  you'd have a SB team trying to run it back that used a 3rd rounder on a guy who doesn't play. That would bother me.

The rook should be at LG and be the swing Tackle. I don’t know why he can’t do that. It makes to much sense to get him reps as a rook even if G isn’t the long term plan for him. Plus our Gs are no prize. He should start there pretty easily. 

Also, I have heard that Rankin likely won’t be ready to start the season. Anyone have a health update on him?

16 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Thats true. But if they stayed healthy all year at OT,  you'd have a SB team trying to run it back that used a 3rd rounder on a guy who doesn't play. That would bother me.

Not sure when we actually had both OTs play the whole season without injuries but nevertheless both our OTs are FAs in 2 years and there's a very good chance that we won't be bringing back both. Due to lack of high picks (thankfully) we need to invest in mid rounds to take over within a year or two so Niang is probably "business as usual" for us for the next decade. 

13 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Careful....Fisher is the only reason we won the Super Bowl and teaches Pat everything he knows

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

The rook should be at LG and be the swing Tackle. I don’t know why he can’t do that. It makes to much sense to get him reps as a rook even if G isn’t the long term plan for him. Plus our Gs are no prize. He should start there pretty easily. 

Also, I have heard that Rankin likely won’t be ready to start the season. Anyone have a health update on him?

To be honest he is a 3rd pick and if he develops into at least a above avg guard then I think we would all be happy.  Like others have said this will be our MO for the next decade and I’m glad they keep adding to the pile.  Eventually you find a keeper.  

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

To be honest he is a 3rd pick and if he develops into at least a above avg guard then I think we would all be happy.  Like others have said this will be our MO for the next decade and I’m glad they keep adding to the pile.  Eventually you find a keeper.  

The Chiefs have plenty of options at OG although none of them may be all-pro.  The real question is at OC.  If Allegretti isn't up to the job, it's Reiter and who knows what back up. 

2 hours ago, Balto said:

I’ve only mentioned to trade him for a 1st round pick.....

I know Balto, I’m just giving you a hard time.  And I don’t mind your trade scenarios.   Keeps content moving during the slow times.  

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I know Balto, I’m just giving you a hard time.  And I don’t mind your trade scenarios.   Keeps content moving during the slow times.  

Wait, did I miss another trade Fisher scenario? Damn it...

Hahahaha

On 5/26/2020 at 1:04 AM, Lamardirts said:

Probability has a way of biting people in the butt.   Put enough trash in front of Mahomes and and that probability increases more than any of us are comfortable with.   

So you are predicting we are screwed then?  Not buying it.  

31 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

So you are predicting we are screwed then?  Not buying it.  

No I'm predicting that if we don't put better lineman in front of Mahomes we might end up being the GB Packers 2.0.  Looking back at the end of his career and realizing we didn't protect him well enough to win more SB's or we get him nicked up and we don't get to see top shelf Pat as much as we would like.    We will always be good with Mahomes but we are looking at a potential GOAT and protecting him should be important.  Doesn't mean we need our 2002 Oline but we need to continue churning OL until we find above avg players.   We don't need to sign avg players to huge contracts and keep plugging him in when he's clearing not the best option.

16 hours ago, DieHard said:

His IG seems pretty positive. 

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

No I'm predicting that if we don't put better lineman in front of Mahomes we might end up being the GB Packers 2.0.  Looking back at the end of his career and realizing we didn't protect him well enough to win more SB's or we get him nicked up and we don't get to see top shelf Pat as much as we would like.    We will always be good with Mahomes but we are looking at a potential GOAT and protecting him should be important.  Doesn't mean we need our 2002 Oline but we need to continue churning OL until we find above avg players.   We don't need to sign avg players to huge contracts and keep plugging him in when he's clearing not the best option.

The Packers didn't fail because the oline wasn't good enough, they failed because they refused to surround Rodgers with enough weapons at the skill positions.  And also because they failed to modernize their offense (McCarthy has admitted this since he got fired).  As long as Andy and Veach are here we should not have that problem).   But I do agree we have to get better on the line.