I know he got restructured,  but many don't seem to be very happy with him at RG. But he seems to be a smart guy (doctor). I wonder if a move to center would be better for him? 

LT- Fisher, Senat

LG- Rankins, Wylie

C - LDT, Reiter/ Williams

RG- Niang, Durant

RT- Schwartz, Barton

According to over the cap we basically restructed him for 2 years for what he was going to make this year alone.  The down side is cutting him post june cost us his total contract in dead money so might as well keep a familiar face on the team.   I mean it did make sense as cutting him before would have only saved a million or two,.    I think in hind site cutting him with a guy like Warford makes more sense but how could Veach have known.   My hope is getting a better C next to him will help elevate his play but lets get real, he's playing next to the best RT in the L who didn't give up a single sack last year.   All we can do is hope he returns to at least an avg guard this year.    I wouldn't mind trying him at center though, does his thick french accent make it hard for him to communicate under game conditions?

I am hopeful this year LDT will step up his play being one more year removed from his injury and feeling confident to be more aggressive. One thing is for sure...if we noticed his weak ass play last year then the coaches saw it too. Look for a bounce back year perhaps.

This is a contract year for LDT and he'll be a free agent at 30. Unless he's going to retire to become a full time doctor then I think his play will improve but considering that he already earned a decent sum I think he'll opt to retire and become a doctor before risking any more injuries. Still a long career in front of him as a MD.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

This is a contract year for LDT and he'll be a free agent at 30. Unless he's going to retire to become a full time doctor then I think his play will improve but considering that he already earned a decent sum I think he'll opt to retire and become a doctor before risking any more injuries. Still a long career in front of him as a MD.

He’s signed next year at 4 million.  Post June cut next year is a 2 million savings.  

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

He’s signed next year at 4 million.  Post June cut next year is a 2 million savings.  

I thought we just restructured to give him guarantees over next 2 seasons instead of a real extension. This blows :( 

4 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

If he can’t play guard well with schwartz on his right to help him I can’t imagine he could handle center

Because sometimes a players skill set fits better as a center,  or guard  or tackle.

16 hours ago, Palangi said:

Because sometimes a players skill set fits better as a center,  or guard  or tackle.

Move LDT to center and sign Warford as our new RG!  Would love this

On 5/25/2020 at 12:04 AM, Lamardirts said:

does his thick french accent make it hard for him to communicate under game conditions?

If baseball, basketball, and hockey teams can deal with all kinds of languages and accents, we should sure be able to handle one guy's.  Additionally, this wasn't an issue when he was playing at a very high level before his injury, so at this point, its just reaching...

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

If baseball, basketball, and hockey teams can deal with all kinds of languages and accents, we should sure be able to handle one guy's.  Additionally, this wasn't an issue when he was playing at a very high level before his injury, so at this point, its just reaching...

He was never play center before his injury.  Stadiums are loud and protections are called out by centers.   That isn’t done in baseball and or basketball and there also isn’t a helmet that muffled voices/hearing.  Hockey maybe,  but again they aren’t calling our coverages to players.  Clear communication is really important.  Again I’m not saying it is a problem just a possibility.  

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

He was never play center before his injury.  Stadiums are loud and protections are called out by centers.   That isn’t done in baseball and or basketball and there also isn’t a helmet that muffled voices/hearing.  Hockey maybe,  but again they aren’t calling our coverages to players.  Clear communication is really important.  Again I’m not saying it is a problem just a possibility.  

And he also wasn't playing at a "very high level" before his injury. The dude played well during the latter half of 2016 and Dorsey paid him like he was Will Shields. He's been dog shit ever since.

I think LDT is pretty average among Chiefs Gs which is below average among NFL Gs. I am a big advocate of not dumping a starter until you have his replacement. We have a similar cast of characters on the interior O line with a mid round rookie added to the mix. LDT will be important to us this year even if overpaid. 

Didn't these O-Line Chumps just win us a Super Bowl?

Guys, Reid is an ex O-lineman.  He sees the middle of the line as area that he can swap at the drop of a hat and has done so forever.

Just sayin....

1 hour ago, West said:

Didn't these O-Line Chumps just win us a Super Bowl?

Guys, Reid is an ex O-lineman.  He sees the middle of the line as area that he can swap at the drop of a hat and has done so forever.

Just sayin....

And had never won a ring before he got a QB that is so good he actually transcends shitty line play. I rewatched the big game again Saturday. Make no mistake...our line played like shit in the SB.

If they want more rings, and to keep Mahomes healthy, they need to quit with the shitty investments on the line.

In the last 20 yrs the Pats have spent 20 picks on offensive lineman in the first 4 rounds (including four 1st rounders). They wanted Brady protected, and acted like it. The Chiefs have spent 10 in that time in the first 4 rounds, including 2 in the last 5 years (Niang and Ehringer).

Thats not enough. It needs to be more of a priority. Especially when we have a player who has a chance to be mentioned in that same breath when its all said and done. Enough patchwork shit. Let's dominate passing, running, all of it. 

30 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

And had never won a ring before he got a QB that is so good he actually transcends shitty line play. I rewatched the big game again Saturday. Make no mistake...our line played like shit in the SB.

I

are you totally discounting the fact the  the SF Defense was no slouch?  The 49rs didn't go 13-3 being the greatest show on turf- ..is our Oline great? ..not hardly. Do they need improvement? you betcha but we have seen much worse in recent years.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

are you totally discounting the fact the  the SF Defense was no slouch?  The 49rs didn't go 13-3 being the greatest show on turf- ..is our Oline great? ..not hardly. Do they need improvement? you betcha but we have seen much worse in recent years.

No. Im not gonna say they played ok because the opponent was really good. They didn't. Mahomes was under pressure damn near every time he dropped back in the first half. The line was terrible. 

Our interior Oline is ok.  Not good but ok. The good news is many games it doesn't matter cause most teams don't have the interior dline to exploit it.  San Fran happens to have made a ton of olines look bad.  

Doesn't mean they don't need to improve.  But that also doesn't mean we have to go blowing first round picks searching for interior oline.  Those guys can be found as Andy has proven. 

I know, Blah blah blah didn't win the big one until Pat blah blah yadda yadda.  That's a bad arguement.   4 straight NFC championship games.  Took 2 different teams to the superbowl, which is an amazingly short list of coaches.   First coach in chiefs history to win back to back afc west titles, and with alex smith to boot.  He'll he won nearly 70% of his games with Alex Smith.  

And he just won a superbowl with that shitty interior line proving it's not nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be.  

6 hours ago, xen said:

Our interior Oline is ok.  Not good but ok. The good news is many games it doesn't matter cause most teams don't have the interior dline to exploit it.  San Fran happens to have made a ton of olines look bad.  

Doesn't mean they don't need to improve.  But that also doesn't mean we have to go blowing first round picks searching for interior oline.  Those guys can be found as Andy has proven. 

I know, Blah blah blah didn't win the big one until Pat blah blah yadda yadda.  That's a bad arguement.   4 straight NFC championship games.  Took 2 different teams to the superbowl, which is an amazingly short list of coaches.   First coach in chiefs history to win back to back afc west titles, and with alex smith to boot.  He'll he won nearly 70% of his games with Alex Smith.  

And he just won a superbowl with that shitty interior line proving it's not nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be.  

Agreed. Having Pat is a great motivational factor as well. If you can't block for him, we'll find someone who can. And there's a lot who would love to block for the mvp. 

7 hours ago, xen said:

Not sure if I agree with all of it. Our run game has been terrible up the middle and the interior OL has rarely formed a good pocket for Mahomes. Mahomes' abilities seem to hide their deficiencies, which sort of means that we can win with a worse OL than most other teams due to Mahomes but we cannot allow the OL to turn Mahomes into Luck if we want to keep being successful. 

10 hours ago, xen said:

That's a bad argument? And going to championship games played 16, 17, 18, and 19 years ago is a good one? Having a 1-4 playoff record with Alex Smith is a good one?