Pats contract

Saw on ESPN that it starts at $40M with $100M guaranteed.  With possible some language that always makes him the highest paid QB

Starting to really worry that even though he is the best at the most important position....his cap will just be to much to continue winning SBs

43 minutes ago, Balto said:

Saw on ESPN that it starts at $40M with $100M guaranteed.  With possible some language that always makes him the highest paid QB

Starting to really worry that even though he is the best at the most important position....his cap will just be to much to continue winning SBs

maybe we can bundle him and Fisher for someone's first over all and their entire draft..

that # was right in line with what is expected.. a little shy I'd think. I bet that is the starting #'s for negotiations.

to be real to think that MVPat would be the Highest paid QB for his entire career with the Chiefs is a bit of a stretch.. I'd say thats FAKE NEWS 

I'll worry when the numbers actually come in.  Neither chiefs nor the agents are talking so who knows.  I certainly will not worry based on baseless media speculation.  Lot of players, agents and owners watching for this contract though.

I still think it makes the most sense to tie the contract to a % of the cap, but have also read that the owners are very much against that and are prepared to die on that hill.

40 would be steep but next year's 5th year option is already 25 million so whats 15 more for the best player in the NFL.   The guy still hasn't peaked which is really scary.   I think Veach has done a nice job of positioning us to get out of some contracts next year so we can make this work.   Obviously we won't be nearly as talented overall and it will force us to hit more than miss on draft picks but having the best player at the most important position gives us a chance each and every year.   

28 minutes ago, xen said:

I'll worry when the numbers actually come in.  Neither chiefs nor the agents are talking so who knows.  I certainly will not worry based on baseless media speculation.  Lot of players, agents and owners watching for this contract though.

I still think it makes the most sense to tie the contract to a % of the cap, but have also read that the owners are very much against that and are prepared to die on that hill.

I agree and I hope those owners die like dogs three amigos GIF

52 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

maybe we can bundle him and Fisher for someone's first over all and their entire draft..

that # was right in line with what is expected.. a little shy I'd think. I bet that is the starting #'s for negotiations.

to be real to think that MVPat would be the Highest paid QB for his entire career with the Chiefs is a bit of a stretch.. I'd say thats FAKE NEWS 

Forget to put your readers on?  I even made starts bold and underlined haha

If the contract did have some language in it that he is always the highest paid QB I’d think it’s tied to also having better stats than who ever got paid more......I mean what if a team gives there QB the same contract.  That would start a never ending loop!  Pat $45M, new QB got $46M, so Pat gets $46.1M, new QB gets $46.2M and so on and so on hahaha

12 minutes ago, Balto said:

Forget to put your readers on?  I even made starts bold and underlined haha

If the contract did have some language in it that he is always the highest paid QB I’d think it’s tied to also having better stats than who ever got paid more......I mean what if a team gives there QB the same contract.  That would start a never ending loop!  Pat $45M, new QB got $46M, so Pat gets $46.1M, new QB gets $46.2M and so on and so on hahaha

tired excuse me GIF by Spotify

1 hour ago, xen said:

I’d be fine with a % based contract and I even believe Pat is good enough to carry a cap strapped team.  Just saying that it’s a fact no team has won the super since like Steve Young that took up over 13% of the cap.  Brady in later years was are 10%.  Pat last season was about 2%.  Cap is suppose to be like $200M so say he wants his $40M low end to $50M high end....that’s between 20-25% of the cap!  That’s about double the cap % of any QB in the past to win.  I know there is roll over money and such but that will probably be zero going forward with Pat going from 2% of the cap to 22% of the cap lol.

53 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

40 would be steep but next year's 5th year option is already 25 million so whats 15 more for the best player in the NFL.   The guy still hasn't peaked which is really scary.   I think Veach has done a nice job of positioning us to get out of some contracts next year so we can make this work.   Obviously we won't be nearly as talented overall and it will force us to hit more than miss on draft picks but having the best player at the most important position gives us a chance each and every year.   

Ya I’m also believing that $40M is the lowest we can hope for...Or about 20% of the cap.  What’s $25M+an extra $15M?  Another elite player or multi starters.  Even Pats owner and Bill have said that if Brady was the highest paid QB in the NFL it would of been almost impossible to win like they did.  Brady was never more than like 10% of the cap.

34 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Veach has proven he is a rising star at his “position”

He is knows how the cap is going to increase incrementally. 

He is not going to hamstring the club and neither is Pat.

Have faith.

But a % based contract means the cap could go up a billion dollars and we as a team can never benefit from that.

IF Mahomes agent really needs the Cap % built into the contract I’d like to see something like this.

16% of the cap or NFL’s highest paid, which ever is lowest.  With 100% of the cap being guaranteed 

Russel Wilson is a little over 15.5% atm but only about 75% guaranteed 

I think the only hope Veach has is Mahomes and his agents value guaranteed money more than the actually “numbers”. As I’m sure all of us would have zero problem with giving Pat a 100% contract if it means saving enough cap to be competitive 

It is an interesting option that would give both sides risk/reward. I have heard this discussed nationally as a way to give Pat a profound contract.

I did some quick math. If it goes up a billion and Pat is 20%, the team has 800 million left to play with. 

17 minutes ago, DieHard said:

It is an interesting option that would give both sides risk/reward. I have heard this discussed nationally as a way to give Pat a profound contract.

I did some quick math. If it goes up a billion and Pat is 20%, the team has 800 million left to play with. 

I get what your saying, but all players salaries go up as well. There's never a cushion and good competitive teams are always strapped for cap money year after year. Takes money to keep good players.

1 hour ago, Balto said:

IF Mahomes agent really needs the Cap % built into the contract I’d like to see something like this.

16% of the cap or NFL’s highest paid, which ever is lowest.  With 100% of the cap being guaranteed 

Russel Wilson is a little over 15.5% atm but only about 75% guaranteed 

I think the only hope Veach has is Mahomes and his agents value guaranteed money more than the actually “numbers”. As I’m sure all of us would have zero problem with giving Pat a 100% contract if it means saving enough cap to be competitive 

Give it all guaranteed. He will be worth it short of a career ending injury. This way the cap number is lower but the guaranteed is the highest ever for a qb. 5 years and say 180 million guaranteed? 36 mil per year or even better pay a huge amount up front and the cap hit lowers later on.

c16ff284-c293-4408-9148-1d1dbfbd0e10.thumb.JPG.aafdf2d27d3fe63866987ae1b1b511af.JPGSaw this on twitter and actually thought it was very well done.  I mean I was hoping Pat might take 35 and work up to 40 but lets be honest.  He's worth 40 in comparison to what other qbs are making and his cap hit the next three years allows us a little wiggle room.  The first year looks to make room for a Chris Jones deal.   Just thought I'd post and mention that the salary cap really is flexible.

22 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

c16ff284-c293-4408-9148-1d1dbfbd0e10.thumb.JPG.aafdf2d27d3fe63866987ae1b1b511af.JPGSaw this on twitter and actually thought it was very well done.  I mean I was hoping Pat might take 35 and work up to 40 but lets be honest.  He's worth 40 in comparison to what other qbs are making and his cap hit the next three years allows us a little wiggle room.  The first year looks to make room for a Chris Jones deal.   Just thought I'd post and mention that the salary cap really is flexible.

As much money as Pat will make everyone in the chiefs organization, he's worth whatever he can get.  We just have to hope it doesn't hamstring the team.

He's kind of in a bad spot.  Other players are looking at him to change the market.  After all, he may have more leverage than almost anybody in nfl history.  If he signs too big of a team discount there's gonna be some pissed off players.  He has to move the needle somewhere... of course that could just be in something like guaranteed money vs taking every last dollar.

28 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Couple of things to consider.... in this scenario we lose 5,683,587 in cap space this year and @ 5 mil in cap space next year over what he's currently set to earn.

If Pat sets the standard, which he should, won't other quality teams face the same problem?  What will Lamar want next year from the Ravens?  Same question with Watson, Prescott or any other city with a top QB.  I doubt the SB is going to be won every year by a team with a QB on his rookie contract or a released back up from another team.  The Chiefs can lose a Jones and still win, but very few teams can lose the QB and make a run.  Maybe for a part of the season (Wentz/Foles), but not long term. 

Agree Xen....

Mahomes (like other great players in other sports) knows true GREATNESS is measured in Championships. He also has really good advisors to include his dad, Derek Jeter and his agent.

While the agent is all about the green, I think his father and Jeter will be solid advisors.  Pat Mahomes likes to win and he likes to win Super Bowls....

Also, like Suggs...players will come to KC for the opportunity to WIN and for the high quality organization and great Coaches....

Reid and Veech have built the right formula to date, keeping Pat Mahomes as a Chief is not an ingredient in the recipe....Its the Oven that enables a real product to be brought to consumers every game day....

w

50 minutes ago, xen said:

As much money as Pat will make everyone in the chiefs organization, he's worth whatever he can get.  We just have to hope it doesn't hamstring the team.

He's kind of in a bad spot.  Other players are looking at him to change the market.  After all, he may have more leverage than almost anybody in nfl history.  If he signs too big of a team discount there's gonna be some pissed off players.  He has to move the needle somewhere... of course that could just be in something like guaranteed money vs taking every last dollar.

That's what is so frustrating; this idea that somebody always needs to reset the market. QB, DE, CB are the 3 positions that are already well paid. Hell, at what point is enough, enough? $75m a year QB? I'd love to see a 3 tier QB salary cap percentage structure then add additional incentives for whatever stats, awards, or championships you win. Top it at 15% then however many million for incentives. Want more money, play better than you did last year. If your a bottom tier QB, hit a certain performance which allows you to opt out early.