Pats contract

49 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

That's what is so frustrating; this idea that somebody always needs to reset the market. QB, DE, CB are the 3 positions that are already well paid. Hell, at what point is enough, enough? $75m a year QB? I'd love to see a 3 tier QB salary cap percentage structure then add additional incentives for whatever stats, awards, or championships you win. Top it at 15% then however many million for incentives. Want more money, play better than you did last year. If your a bottom tier QB, hit a certain performance which allows you to opt out early. 

Commie

It is what it is.  I've been expecting 50 million per year.  Mahomes is likely going to make 700-800 million dollars over the course of his career between salary and endorsements.  Lucky for us, the combination of that sick amount of money and his competitiveness, the back end of his contract will likely end up with the Chiefs getting him for less than what he actually deserves.  As for now, he's not even 25 and he ended the Chiefs curse, has a SB MVP, regular season MVP, and has played in more AFC Championship games in 2 seasons as a starter than the Chiefs had played in in my entire 38 years of life.  If he wants 50 mill a year with a limo full of hookers and blow, he's getting 50 mill a year with a limo full of hookers and blow.   

19 minutes ago, moons314 said:

It is what it is.  I've been expecting 50 million per year.  Mahomes is likely going to make 700-800 million dollars over the course of his career between salary and endorsements.  Lucky for us, the combination of that sick amount of money and his competitiveness, the back end of his contract will likely end up with the Chiefs getting him for less than what he actually deserves.  As for now, he's not even 25 and he ended the Chiefs curse, has a SB MVP, regular season MVP, and has played in more AFC Championship games in 2 seasons as a starter than the Chiefs had played in in my entire 38 years of life.  If he wants 50 mill a year with a limo full of hookers and blow, he's getting 50 mill a year with a limo full of hookers and blow.   

Minus the blow and hookers i get to first.

39 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

His resetting the market is a good thing in all honesty because now all those other teams with good qb's are going to have to overpay.  Better to be first than wait.  Veach knows this.

This.  If we're paying 50 mill a year for Pat, then average QBs like Dak are suddenly going to become 35 mill a year guys.  It really screws the teams with average QBs. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

This.  If we're paying 50 mill a year for Pat, then average QBs like Dak are suddenly going to become 35 mill a year guys.  It really screws the teams with average QBs. 

Yep.  Alex Smith with Sammy Watkins isn't better than Pat Mahomes without Sammy Watkins.   I'll take our chance with the best.

5 hours ago, West said:

Agree Xen....

Mahomes (like other great players in other sports) knows true GREATNESS is measured in Championships. He also has really good advisors to include his dad, Derek Jeter and his agent.

While the agent is all about the green, I think his father and Jeter will be solid advisors.  Pat Mahomes likes to win and he likes to win Super Bowls....

Also, like Suggs...players will come to KC for the opportunity to WIN and for the high quality organization and great Coaches....

Reid and Veech have built the right formula to date, keeping Pat Mahomes as a Chief is not an ingredient in the recipe....Its the Oven that enables a real product to be brought to consumers every game day....

w

Well Suggs didn’t have a choice but yes I agree that we will have to get those cheap vets chasing a ring.  

I think we saw another advantage after the draft this year with having such a dynamic offense and a defense that will always be needing plug and play guys and diamons in the rough, in the udfa pool.   Offensive guys that missed out or fell because of other reasons are definitely gonna want to come and play with Mahomes and in an offense that will be churning through playmakers in a few years.   On defense there should always be opportunities to step in and contribute because of the size of contracts to certain players the need will be large to fill some holes via player development.    

Gonna be hard to keep that defensive staff together for long though.   Daly could be getting DC calls as soon as the of this year if our Dline has another good year like last year and especially if he can keep developing Kpass, Saunders, Nnadi and guys like Charlton.   House is another name, but since our talent pool hasnt' been as good as the dline we might be able to hide him for a couple years.  Either way player development will be a premium as long as Pat is a Chief.....which we all hope is for 15 more years.

On 5/30/2020 at 3:41 AM, moons314 said:

If the average QBs really know they are average that shouldn't be that bad of a problem but overrated QBs (like Dak) that are actually average but think of themselves as solid franchise guys will be a major issue. I can see a guy like him asking for 40 per year under such circumstances. 

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

If the average QBs really know they are average that shouldn't be that bad of a problem but overrated QBs (like Dak) that are actually average but think of themselves as solid franchise guys will be a major issue. I can see a guy like him asking for 40 per year under such circumstances. 

What I like is that the teams that will give us the biggest issues moving forward will have to overpay to keep their qbs who aren’t as good as Pat.  Balt will have to probably pay LJ more and Deshaun Watson will be in the same breath by the time those deals get done.   Again smart that Veach is focusing on Pat now and that should dictate what we are capable of doing with Chris Jones and others.   

Also interesting Veach went out and grabbed a possible future OT in this years draft with Laremy Tunsil and probably Ronnie Stanley resenting the OT market.   Some talks Stanley is likely to make 25 million per year.   Sheesh....Balt gonna lose a lot of talented people when they have to overpay for LJ.

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

What I like is that the teams that will give us the biggest issues moving forward will have to overpay to keep their qbs who aren’t as good as Pat.  Balt will have to probably pay LJ more and Deshaun Watson will be in the same breath by the time those deals get done.   Again smart that Veach is focusing on Pat now and that should dictate what we are capable of doing with Chris Jones and others.   

Also interesting Veach went out and grabbed a possible future OT in this years draft with Laremy Tunsil and probably Ronnie Stanley resenting the OT market.   Some talks Stanley is likely to make 25 million per year.   Sheesh....Balt gonna lose a lot of talented people when they have to overpay for LJ.

LT sure is important but that's basically a decent QB money. If we add a solid QB to the mix that's close to a 3rd of team's entire cap on 2 players. That will definitely hurt GMs. 

I think we are in a position where Pat will allow us to only really pay 3-4 guys on offense with the rest being cheap youngsters (via draft or FA) or 2nd/3rd tier FAs. Pat is ready to turn a lot of lame guys into stars to bring in some picks for our future drafts.