Raider Crosby Coming For Mahomes

Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 10:20 AM

Maxx Crosby 'coming' for Patrick Mahomes after sack-less meetings

Headshot_Author_JEREMY-BERGMAN_1400x1000

Jeremy Bergman

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Every game-changing play by Maxx Crosby | Week 11

In 2020, the football world can't help but play catch-up with Patrick Mahomes, the 24-year-old face of the league and reigning Super Bowl MVP. That's doubly so for AFC West pass rushers.

One rival defensive end, in particular, is setting his sights on taking down the Kansas City QB, and hopefully in doing so, the reigning champs, as well.

Raiders pass rusher Maxx Crosby, entering his second season, said on The Lefkoe Show this week that, following a stellar rookie campaign in which he recorded 10 sacks, he can only think of the QB he didn't sack: Mahomes.

"I was close a few times," Crosby said, per The Kansas City Star. "It pissed me off pretty much. Pretty much every second after that game was over, both times, I was just mad and blah blah blah, whatever.

"He's a different type of player too. He's one of those guys. He just backpedals, he'll throw the ball from weird angles, it's not like sacking a regular quarterback. Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to sacking him. It needs to happen. It's definitely going to happen."

Count Crosby among a slew of frustrated defenders to miss out on taking down the magical Mahomes. Among QBs with at least six starts in 2019, Mahomes ranked second in sacks taken (17) and sack percentage (3.4) behind Saints signal-caller Drew Brees. That, coupled with Mahomes' crazy-low 1.0-percent interception rate, makes the Chiefs star an equally elusive and careful quarterback and therefore one of the most dangerous. Not that that conclusion needed further examination.

In response to Mahomes' rise and Kansas City's supremacy, the AFC West teams have undergone extreme makeovers this offseason, mostly on offense. The Broncos added two receivers, Jerry Jeudy and K.J. Hamler, in the first two rounds to pair with Drew Lock; Los Angeles selected its QB of the future in Justin Herbert; and the Raiders picked up speed and versatility as well, drafting Henry Ruggs, Bryan Edwards and Lynn Bowden.

With Las Vegas' additions, Crosby feels the Raiders are closer to competing with K.C. than last year, when Jon Gruden's club lost twice to the Chiefs by a combined score of 68-19.

"Last year it was kind of back and forth," Crosby said. "We were 6-4, we were (nearly) tied with the Chiefs and we were like, 'All right, we're going to make a serious run at this.' We obviously didn't finish the way we wanted to.

"Now, everyone's in the mix. Obviously every team is going to look a lot different. It's gonna be awesome. It's super exciting. It's going to be great competition. I'm looking forward to it."

Crosby will get his chance to sack Mahomes on at least two occasions next season and twice every year as long as he's in Silver and Black.

While he took down the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers and Sam Darnold in 2019, the Raiders DE wants to make it known that his sophomore effort will be dedicated to face-planting the current face of the NFL.

His message to Mahomes? "You can do whatever you want," Crosby said. "Just know I'm coming, no doubt."

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Lol the Raiders in 2 games had 3 sacks. That is a miserable 24 sacks over 16 games. Maybe they should worry about them scoring more than 19 points and allowing 68? 

So judged just off KC games?

You all realize Crosby had 10 sacks last year right?

You all realize the Raiders increased their sack total from 13 to 32 last year right?

And they added Maliek Collins at DT who has the chance to push that total up a few more.

They are undeniably better at linebacker with the additions of Littleton and Kwiatkowski.

That front 7 is way better than last year and they may have gotten better at CB with Amukamara and Arnette.

And they got better on offense with Ruggs and Edwards at WR.

A difference a year makes. I wouldn't sleep on the Raiders, not even a little bit.

34 minutes ago, kccrow said:

You all realize the Raiders increased their sack total from 13 to 32 last year right?

And they added Maliek Collins at DT who has the chance to push that total up a few more.

They are undeniably better at linebacker with the additions of Littleton and Kwiatkowski.

That front 7 is way better than last year and they may have gotten better at CB with Amukamara and Arnette.

A difference a year makes. I wouldn't sleep on the Raiders, not even a little bit.

You realize he had 4 sacks in one game against Cincy. All other games totalled 6 more and against bad competition. The whole point of this was against KC and how he is coming for Mahomes. 32 sacks is not far off 24 total if it were just KC. Every year we hear how they got better and every year the same results. All the while drafting around the top 10. 8 first rounders in the last 5 years. Good luck to them.

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

You realize he had 4 sacks in one game against Cincy. All other games totalled 6 more and against bad competition. The whole point of this was against KC and how he is coming for Mahomes. 32 sacks is not far off 24 total if it were just KC. Every year we hear how they got better and every year the same results. All the while drafting around the top 10. 8 first rounders in the last 5 years. Good luck to them.

Reminds me how "beast" of a player Ford was. Always had a 3+ sack game or two against an OT you never heard of to pump up his totals and was lost against anyone that mattered. Don't know much about Crosby but Raiders may have found their Ford, let the frustrations begin. 

16 hours ago, kccrow said:

Why do'n't the Chiefs just concede the Raiders' games and save the wear and tear?  

18 hours ago, kccrow said:

Worn out Patrick | Kc chiefs football, Kansas city chiefs football ...

On 6/15/2020 at 10:49 PM, kccrow said:

Yawn, 4 of those sacks for Crosby came against the team drafting first.  Maybe he should be a little humble first before coming after the king.

32 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Yawn, 4 of those sacks for Crosby came against the team drafting first.  Maybe he should be a little humble first before coming after the king.

He was a 4th round rookie.   What you are saying is true but any team would be elated if their 4th round DE has double digit sacks.   They are a better team but without a good qb they remind me of the 2017 Chiefs.   Talented group but everything has to come together perfectly to win.    

4 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

He was a 4th round rookie.   What you are saying is true but any team would be elated if their 4th round DE has double digit sacks.   They are a better team but without a good qb they remind me of the 2017 Chiefs.   Talented group but everything has to come together perfectly to win.    

Raiders suck and they remind me of suck

14 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

2017 Chiefs could still dominate the AFC West 🙄

Every sack guy gets a big game. He played really fucking well for a 4th rounder and has an offseason of training under his belt. He's not an easy block and has a great motor. The Raiders have added a lot of talent the past couple of years. If Carr falls on his face, so be it, i get it. He probably will. That said, I don't see them as an easy out/door mat like they were. Collins and those linebackers were huge gets that help that team elsewhere on defense. I understand shitting on a rival, especially THIS rival... but we can't be blind.