Chiefs Weakest Position Group

SBN had an article today. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2020/6/16/21293376/identifying-the-chiefs-weakest-position-entering-2020

Opinions all over the board. For me?

#1 Interior OL: We have great depth there, but unfortunately they are starting. Nough said.

#2 LB: Hitch became fantastic at reading and calling D, but slow to react. Wilson solid but slow. Willie Gay was called out as a big improvement but hard to count on him for 2020 with his lack of experience.

#3 TE: We have Travis and... 

#4 CB: They look weak especially with Breeland facing who knows with suspensions. I like Ward and Fenton and with Honey Badge and Thornhill we will look better than we are. Just need a young player to step up early.

That’s really it for me. Other than swing tackle maybe. I think it’s a solid roster. Great coaches. I will be shocked if we win less than 12.

My order would be:

#1 Interior OL: A lot of youngsters but no proven answer. Some of these guys remind me of the time we had Kush in town expecting him to become a starting caliber guy that ended up being cut. Reiter was terrible in 2019 and looks like he'll be the starter at OC.

#2 LB: Unless Gay is an absolute beast and DOD makes a big leap we are in trouble here. Wilson isn't really an answer and we might not even have enough bodies in the entire group.

#3 CB: With Breeland likely out we could have some huge trouble starting the season and we still need some youngsters to play at a high level to actually have a decent secondary. Injuries could be a huge issue here. 

I'm not that worried about the rest. I still think we need some TE depth but it's not as high of a priority as long as Kelce is healthy with so many needs elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see some trades for back of the roster guys similar to Ward.

My order of weakness would be LB, CB, IOL, TE.

The good news is that the Chiefs took a possible big step at upgrading LB with the addition of Willie Gay.  If his head's right and he listens to HB and Hitchens, he could be a real help at WIL.  House has to teach him to take on blocks to handle the run defense in the base. 

I'm also high on Snead at CB with his speed and versatility.  The Chiefs may struggle without Breeland for a while, but Snead has good potential.

The IOL remains the biggest problem.  OC is a real weakness and no help on the horizon.  LDT may play better with another year since his injury and who knows what Rankin or Allegretti can contribute.  Maybe pick up another guy after the TC cuts.

Less worry about the TE backups.  The Chiefs have the receivers there and are only missing a blocking type.  Andy can scheme around that. 

23 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I hope Snead hits the ground running. Gay too. Those two would be huge. Even if one of the two can step in early.

Honestly, can't expect much early in the season without rookie camp, OTAs, mini camp, etc.  But all the teams will need time to blend in the rookies and the Chiefs have tons of returning starters.  I just feel that by the latter part of the year, the Chiefs have good prospects with Snead, Gay, CEH, and maybe a spot for Niang.  It's unrealistic to expect all four top picks to be contributors, but the talent is there. 

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

Honestly, can't expect much early in the season without rookie camp, OTAs, mini camp, etc.  But all the teams will need time to blend in the rookies and the Chiefs have tons of returning starters.  I just feel that by the latter part of the year, the Chiefs have good prospects with Snead, Gay, CEH, and maybe a spot for Niang.  It's unrealistic to expect all four top picks to be contributors, but the talent is there. 

Unfortunately that would be when we have Breeland back and Thornhill fully recovered. Could be a rocky first quarter of the season with Breeland our and Thornhill getting his legs back under him.

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Here were our top 4 picks in 2019:

Hardman, Thornhill, Saunders, Fenton. Which of those players was not a contributor year one?

Good point, and it could happen again, but we can't expect it every year and the lack of summer work could be a factor. 

4 hours ago, DieHard said:

Unfortunately that would be when we have Breeland back and Thornhill fully recovered. Could be a rocky first quarter of the season with Breeland our and Thornhill getting his legs back under him.

Any recent news about Thornhill? Would be awesome if he makes the camp at least in August but haven't heard anything after the surgery. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Good point, and it could happen again, but we can't expect it every year and the lack of summer work could be a factor. 

I could see Niang not playing because we have returning starters in front of him. But CEH, Gay, and Sneed...I expect them involved very early on.

Unless they sign a vet CB. Then Sneed could be eased in. But as of now all he has in front of him are Ward, Fenton, and Hamilton. Breelands suspension might throw that kid into the fray quickly. 

I see Breelands suspensión as an opportunity to see some of these young guys, which will be important to know what we actually have.  

It happens at the perfect time because of our continuity and this offseason.  Should soften the blow just a bit.  I have high hopes one of the new guys will pan out and be a steal for us.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I could see Niang not playing because we have returning starters in front of him. But CEH, Gay, and Sneed...I expect them involved very early on.

Unless they sign a vet CB. Then Sneed could be eased in. But as of now all he has in front of him are Ward, Fenton, and Hamilton. Breelands suspension might throw that kid into the fray quickly. 

Did Flowers and Carr both start their rookie season?  Don't remember them getting torched too much then.  Maybe Snead and/or Bopete can step in. 

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Flowers was solid from day one but Carr had some growing pain early on, still I would consider any rookie CB playing at that level a big win for the draft. 

Carr started every game as a rookie and Flowers started 14 that same season. Pretty amazing two rookies could play that well. Fenton in a more limited role overall but played well when given the opportunity including several starts. 

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Carr started every game as a rookie and Flowers started 14 that same season. Pretty amazing two rookies could play that well. Fenton in a more limited role overall but played well when given the opportunity including several starts. 

May have been the best CB draft in our history.

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yep, and Carr was drafted in a later round.  Wasn't that still in the Peterson era? 

Yep, CP's last draft in KC and we had like a million picks that year. Carr was a 5th if I remember correctly. 

On 6/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, DieHard said:

SBN had an article today. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2020/6/16/21293376/identifying-the-chiefs-weakest-position-entering-2020

Opinions all over the board. For me?

#1 Interior OL: We have great depth there, but unfortunately they are starting. Nough said.

#2 LB: Hitch became fantastic at reading and calling D, but slow to react. Wilson solid but slow. Willie Gay was called out as a big improvement but hard to count on him for 2020 with his lack of experience.

#3 TE: We have Travis and... 

#4 CB: They look weak especially with Breeland facing who knows with suspensions. I like Ward and Fenton and with Honey Badge and Thornhill we will look better than we are. Just need a young player to step up early.

That’s really it for me. Other than swing tackle maybe. I think it’s a solid roster. Great coaches. I will be shocked if we win less than 12.

TE- you are one Hamstring away from changing the offense to compesnate

DB's next with Breeland's suspension. Nelson actually played better on Pitt this year- got away from Werthers and became a player.

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

TE- you are one Hamstring away from changing the offense to compesnate

DB's next with Breeland's suspension. Nelson actually played better on Pitt this year- got away from Werthers and became a player.

Ah Werthers.....good riddance.   In my opinion Werthers cost Andy a ring maybe two.