Chris Jones may sit out 2020 season

Let’s see no team wanted to trade for him and give him the money he asked for this year after being a complete beast for multiple years. Next year he will be a year older and the chances are less he gets his money.

teams are wising up and not giving 20+ million for any non qbs.

sucks for jones but its just the reality of the situation, he is one of the most valuable defensive players in the nfl, probably top 5, but sadly in todays nfl that doesn’t hold a 20+ million dollar value 

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

so if he sits out does that free up his $16Mil? Or does it get pro rated  as time goes on?

He loses the money based on number of weeks he sits out but I think that cap is rolled over to next year. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

He loses the money based on number of weeks he sits out but I think that cap is rolled over to next year. 

Yes. He could sign it any time but after week 10 he is done for the season. So we will just free up money for next year plus tag and trade him then. The only thing though is his value will take a hit for us in a trade.

58 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yes. He could sign it any time but after week 10 he is done for the season. So we will just free up money for next year plus tag and trade him then. The only thing though is his value will take a hit for us in a trade.

I wouldn't mind trading him for a 1st and may be a 3rd at this point unless they think we can sign him long term. Players never get better by sitting out so we'll be losing quite a bit of value in Jones' case. 

15 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Let’s see if he leaves 16 mill guaranteed on the table. I would be surprised. Holding out to opening day is more likely. 

If he sits all season and we tag him a second time with this years tag rolling over....well he will have lost money then averaged over 2 seasons. Plus we can either sign or trade him and save 16 million. He has no leverage.

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Player being selfish

Fuckin right. Healthcare workers right now are on the front lines, risking their lives. They are saving others lives. An ICU nurse or respiratory therapist won't make anything close to that if you add up all the income they accrue their entire god damn careers. 

But this fuckin asshole thinks he's being insulted by being asked to somehow make ends meet earning $15, 000 dollars an hour?

Fuck him. 

How much of this is Jones and how much is agent talk/greed?  Jones could play this year for $16 million.  He could sign with the Chiefs for probably $19 million.  He could sit out and hope for $21-22 million long term.  So how long does it take him to make up for the loss of $16 million to gain $3 million/year for maybe five years, not all guaranteed?  Plus as pointed out, how successful will he be getting the big contract after taking a year off?  I think Jones has to play under the tag.  He may wait until the season starts just to be macho, but sitting out is his worst option. 

Who was the D-lineman who sat out a year for the Chiefs in the mid-late 1990s?  When he came back, he wasn't worth spit. 

6 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Would actually be GREAT if he stays out until week 10 and then comes back fresh for the rest of the season plus playoffs.  That would give us $10M in cap rollover for next season which could be huge!  I think our O with Pat can keep us just fine for the first 10 weeks without Jones.

Jones  need to smarten up.. He has nothing to gain by sitting. He knows and his agent knows it. His comment about listening to Bell...well didn’t that year off screw Bell? He got less $ on a shitty team. 
jones will sign it, it’s just a matter of when. 
If he sits, screw him. The team will move on as it always does and just like it did with hunt. 

With the money they earn they can get very smart financial advice and invest to turn any million into a lifetime income and achieve financial freedom. Don't need to soak up every million playing football to achieve this. 

Especially if you're a superstar with multiple Superbowls. 

He will sign the tag or sign a deal.  Just postering.  We see this with a few players every year.   Look how holding out worked out for Leveon Bell. I believe he was the last one to try sitting out all season.   Melvin Gordon held out half a season.   Lost his job pretty much and earned less money the next year.  Holding out bites these guys in the ass.  

7 hours ago, beltranfan said:

He will sign the tag or sign a deal.  Just postering.  We see this with a few players every year.   Look how holding out worked out for Leveon Bell. I believe he was the last one to try sitting out all season.   Melvin Gordon held out half a season.   Lost his job pretty much and earned less money the next year.  Holding out bites these guys in the ass.  

Yeah Gordon got a decent payday, but certainly not what he expected. These players need to take their feelings out of it and look at it like the business transaction that it is. I'm sure they care about him a lot as a person. But if the cap goes down and we have to pay Mahomes the largest contract in the league...Jones is smart enough to see why we are stuck.

But he's all in his feelings because he is being asked to play the game he loves for a measly 600 grand every 2 weeks. How will he eat?

13 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

Jones  need to smarten up.. He has nothing to gain by sitting. He knows and his agent knows it. His comment about listening to Bell...well didn’t that year off screw Bell? He got less $ on a shitty team. 
jones will sign it, it’s just a matter of when. 
If he sits, screw him. The team will move on as it always does and just like it did with hunt. 

Good point about Hunt.  No player is indispensable except for Mahomes. 

You know one thing I've appreciated about this situation, there hasn't been a lot of stupid "pay the man" or "the man deserves to get paid" comments.  The "man" has already made millions, so he has been "paid."  And to put it bluntly, we can "pay" everyone.  Shall we cut both of our tackles so we can afford to "pay" Jones?  Maybe we can let our tight end walk so was can "pay the man."  How about we cut the honey badger today and give Jones his money. 

We can't "pay" everyone.  And considering most who get "paid" never live up to it,  we shouldn't worry about it too much.  And if they feel "disrespected" by a mediocre deal that will guarantee them tens of millions with "only" $16 or $18 million a year, so be it.