Chris Jones may sit out 2020 season

2 hours ago, SarcasticOne said:

You know one thing I've appreciated about this situation, there hasn't been a lot of stupid "pay the man" or "the man deserves to get paid" comments.  The "man" has already made millions, so he has been "paid."  And to put it bluntly, we can "pay" everyone.  Shall we cut both of our tackles so we can afford to "pay" Jones?  Maybe we can let our tight end walk so was can "pay the man."  How about we cut the honey badger today and give Jones his money. 

We can't "pay" everyone.  And considering most who get "paid" never live up to it,  we shouldn't worry about it too much.  And if they feel "disrespected" by a mediocre deal that will guarantee them tens of millions with "only" $16 or $18 million a year, so be it.  

Pay the man!  The man deserves to get paid!!!

I respect his right to sit out, but I wouldn’t. Get a fat check. Showcase your talent and next year we can’t afford you. Injury could happen, but I wouldn’t lose my check and make teams wonder if I would be rusty after a year on the couch. 

I think he plays this year and then gone.

3 hours ago, xen said:

I think this is on the team.  If we didn't want to pay him the going rate we should have traded him before the draft.

The issue is no teams want to give up multiple 1-3 round picks in addition to the 23 million a year he wants. Chiefs can get a year of service from him plus a 3rd round comp pick, thats the floor teams have to outbid

6 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Hunt wasn't a contract issue; it was behavioral.

Doesn't change the point.  Hunt was the best offensive weapon the Chiefs had and they won without him.  If he had stayed with the Chiefs, folks would be hand wringing about having to extend him or the team would be mediocre.  NO player is indispensible except the QB.  Losing Jones would hurt in the short term, but the cap savings would take some of the edge off that. 

On 7/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, Iluvhouse24 said:

Fuckin right. Healthcare workers right now are on the front lines, risking their lives. They are saving others lives. An ICU nurse or respiratory therapist won't make anything close to that if you add up all the income they accrue their entire god damn careers. 

But this fuckin asshole thinks he's being insulted by being asked to somehow make ends meet earning $15, 000 dollars an hour?

Fuck him. 

I'm with this.  Appreciate what he did last year, but if he wants to sit, he can sit, and he can collect no money during the prime years of his career.   There's much uncertainty heading forward with the cap, and with an extension looming for Mahomes, well Jones can continue to be that way, because giving him a massive contract like he wants right now would do more harm to the team than good.  I wouldn't even trade him, I'd let him sit, tag him again, and if he sits again, laugh at him while he loses money.  

It seems strange that there is anger towards Jones. Nobody likes being tagged. Stud players want you to mortgage the future to get them what they deserve. He deserves to get paid, it just doesn’t make sense for us. We made this decision when we signed Clark and HB. He has a right to be mad,  but the team made the correct decision. There was never going to be a second contract.

On 7/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, xen said:

I think this is on the team.  If we didn't want to pay him the going rate we should have traded him before the draft.

I think they could absolutely pay him if the cap continued to climb like it has for the past decade.  Veach would have had to massage the cap but it could have been done ,but the issue was the drawn out covid pandemic is that will likely cause a drop in the cap next year which makes any sort of a long term deal very dicey.  Talk about the world conspiring against the Chiefs attempt at a dynasty run.    I think Chris is elite and I would rather have him than Hitchens, Sorenson and Wilson would combine make what Chris Jones is asking.   

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

It seems strange that there is anger towards Jones. Nobody likes being tagged. Stud players want you to mortgage the future to get them what they deserve. He deserves to get paid, it just doesn’t make sense for us. We made this decision when we signed Clark and HB. He has a right to be mad,  but the team made the correct decision. There was never going to be a second contract.

I think they did plan for it and I don't think they were lying to us about wanting him back. . Niang was Fisher or Schwartz replacement next year imo and Hitchens, Sorenson and Watkins all come off the books or can come off the books next year.   Covid and the Colts absolutely screwed the deal up imo. I'm not sure there is a better comparison in the league for Jones than Buckner.....yes Chris is a bit better but by every metric its pretty close.    Now all those moves needed to make it possible will just make it possible to get Mahomes done.   Better keep drafting well and churning old vets like Veach is known for.   

9 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think they could absolutely pay him if the cap continued to climb like it has for the past decade.  Veach would have had to massage the cap but it could have been done ,but the issue was the drawn out covid pandemic is that will likely cause a drop in the cap next year which makes any sort of a long term deal very dicey.  Talk about the world conspiring against the Chiefs attempt at a dynasty run.    I think Chris is elite and I would rather have him than Hitchens, Sorenson and Wilson would combine make what Chris Jones is asking.   

I suspect the idea is to keep all 4 for another run. You can’t dump those guys to keep Jones and still field a defense this year. Those 3 are likely on there way out as well after this year. 

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think they did plan for it and I don't think they were lying to us about wanting him back. . Niang was Fisher or Schwartz replacement next year imo and Hitchens, Sorenson and Watkins all come off the books or can come off the books next year.   Covid and the Colts absolutely screwed the deal up imo. I'm not sure there is a better comparison in the league for Jones than Buckner.....yes Chris is a bit better but by every metric its pretty close.    Now all those moves needed to make it possible will just make it possible to get Mahomes done.   Better keep drafting well and churning old vets like Veach is known for.   

Interesting take. I wouldn’t pencil in Niang as a starting tackle next year. That will not happen IMO. I do think your cuts make a lot of sense. But that money needs to go to the offensive side of the ball and to CB.

1 minute ago, DieHard said:

I suspect the idea is to keep all 4 for another run. You can’t dump those guys to keep Jones and still field a defense this year. Those 3 are likely on there way out as well after this year. 

Well it would only take Hitchens and Sorenson and yes we could absolutely field a good defense without those guys.   While Sorenson made some key plays in the playoffs his play overall is avg at best and Hitchens is atrocious.   If your best quality is getting guys aligned correctly....literally that is his only decent quality and you make 15 million a year......yikes!   It will go down as Veach's worst contract ever when its all said and done imo.   Yes the idea is to keep everyone together for a run it back tour and if all we get for Jones is a 3rd round comp but we get a back to back ship......then it was probably worth it.  

6 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Well it would only take Hitchens and Sorenson and yes we could absolutely field a good defense without those guys.   While Sorenson made some key plays in the playoffs his play overall is avg at best and Hitchens is atrocious.   If your best quality is getting guys aligned correctly....literally that is his only decent quality and you make 15 million a year......yikes!   It will go down as Veach's worst contract ever when its all said and done imo.   Yes the idea is to keep everyone together for a run it back tour and if all we get for Jones is a 3rd round comp but we get a back to back ship......then it was probably worth it.  

Yeah, Hitch will be gone if they trust someone to call the D. I don’t think they trust a rook there. Hopefully our new LB proves he can do it or we have to sign a FA for MLB. 

Just now, DieHard said:

Interesting take. I wouldn’t pencil in Niang as a starting tackle next year. That will not happen IMO. I do think your cuts make a lot of sense. But that money needs to go to the offensive side of the ball and to CB.

Yeah gotta keep the talent on O stocked thats our bread and butter.    If Niang isn't going to start next year at tackle then he needs to be starting at guard this year for us.  I'd prefer him wait but if he can be a potential pro bowl caliber guard then stick him there now and we worry about a tackle in two years.   

In light of recent developments maybe we ship him off for a 2nd and 4th and then sign Clowney who’s asking for what Jones tag is and then bring in a a big Rotational DT like Harrison.    Not saying I like that more but we would then potentially get a third for Clowney next offseason so in essence we could get a 2,3, and 4 for Jones.   

Just now, Lamardirts said:

In light of recent developments maybe we ship him off for a 2nd and 4th and then sign Clowney who’s asking for what Jones tag is and then bring in a a big Rotational DT like Harrison.    Not saying I like that more but we would then potentially get a third for Clowney next offseason so in essence we could get a 2,3, and 4 for Jones.   

Seattle thought they'd get a 3rd for Clowney this year.  How'd that work out again?

4 minutes ago, xen said:

Seattle thought they'd get a 3rd for Clowney this year.  How'd that work out again?

True but some of that was Clowneys demands.  If he came here and got 10 plus which I think he could do opposite of Clark then it’s very possible.  He’s already lowered his demands but with Covid everyone has to plan for a reduced cap next year.   But you are right that he might not met us a 3rd but what does a 1 /$16 million deal do for Seattle?   And we still get a very good player while adding draft capital by trading Jones.  

On 7/4/2020 at 3:16 PM, jetlord said:

Doesn't change the point.  Hunt was the best offensive weapon the Chiefs had and they won without him.  If he had stayed with the Chiefs, folks would be hand wringing about having to extend him or the team would be mediocre.  NO player is indispensible except the QB.  Losing Jones would hurt in the short term, but the cap savings would take some of the edge off that. 

Hunt was better than Hill? Kelce? Hardman? Mahomes? What?

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Not better than Mahomes and that's why I said "except for the QB". During his rookie year, his only full year with the Chiefs, Hunt did more for the offense than anyone except for the QB.  He didn't play a full season with Mahomes but in any case, the QB is the most important part of the offense as I posted.  The Chiefs won several games in 2017 due to some spectacular play by Hunt.   If CEH does all that the staff expects of him, he could become just as important as Hunt.  

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

No way is he betterthan Kelce and Hill. Kelce is the best TE in the league and s lot of people think Hill is the best WR. They won a Super Bowl without Hunt.

On 7/4/2020 at 3:16 PM, jetlord said:

Mahomes was not the best offensive weapon?

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Not better than Mahomes and that's why I said "except for the QB". During his rookie year, his only full year with the Chiefs, Hunt did more for the offense than anyone except for the QB.  He didn't play a full season with Mahomes but in any case, the QB is the most important part of the offense as I posted.  The Chiefs won several games in 2017 due to some spectacular play by Hunt.   If CEH does all that the staff expects of him, he could become just as important as Hunt.  

You said "NO player is indispensible except the QB"

6 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

No way is he betterthan Kelce and Hill. Kelce is the best TE in the league and s lot of people think Hill is the best WR. They won a Super Bowl without Hunt.

See above- I asked Jetlord the question. Th AVGAS fumes are getting to him.....LOL

44 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

And they might have won the SB the year before with him.  I'm not a Hunt fan, but recognize that the yards he put up in 2017 and the start of 2018 did big things for the Chiefs.  We're getting way off the original point which is that one non-QB player, no matter how important to the team, is going to make or break the season all by himself.  It takes a TEAM to be successful.