Chris Jones may sit out 2020 season

24 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

Do you think they would have won this year without Kelce? Maybe, but I don't  think so.

That can be said by any player. In reality we never know if someone would step up under the new circumstances. 

If we can’t find a lb whose best trait is merely getting guys in the right position then we are in trouble.   The only reason Hitchens is on the team is because it was Veachs worst deal and he’s making as much money as our NFL Dedensive MVP candidate last year.   Every team makes mistakes and has to live with them.  He will be almost assuredly cut post June 1 as soon as the season is over.    I’d love to see Harris take his job this year but with no offseason I doubt that is possible.

58 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

If we can’t find a lb whose best trait is merely getting guys in the right position then we are in trouble.   The only reason Hitchens is on the team is because it was Veachs worst deal and he’s making as much money as our NFL Dedensive MVP candidate last year.   Every team makes mistakes and has to live with them.  He will be almost assuredly cut post June 1 as soon as the season is over.    I’d love to see Harris take his job this year but with no offseason I doubt that is possible.

I hope Willie Gay comes out and kills it. Maybe he can be half of that 2 lb set. 

7 hours ago, DieHard said:

I hope Willie Gay comes out and kills it. Maybe he can be half of that 2 lb set. 

There is a lot of hype around him so he should be an answer at LB but not sure if this weird offseason will hamper his rookie season. He could emerge as the next Thornhill if the reports are correct. 

15 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Not a ton of cap savings with Hitch until after 2021 season.  Unless the cap tanks next year, I would look to see a cut until then.

6 hours ago, xen said:

Not a ton of cap savings with Hitch until after 2021 season.  Unless the cap tanks next year, I would look to see a cut until then.

I think he will get the post June 1 designation.   My opinion is he is easily replaceable.   The fact he didn’t get much better when almost every other player did  under Spags is super concerning.  

On 7/8/2020 at 3:02 PM, sith13 said:

That can be said by any player. In reality we never know if someone would step up under the new circumstances. 

I don't know, I would have hated going into the playoffs with Blake Bell as their starting TE.

27 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

I don't know, I would have hated going into the playoffs with Blake Bell as their starting TE.

I would imagine we would rely more on some formations with Sherman on the field rather than Bell. The TE depth has been a major issue for years but you never know who'll turn into a star at the most unexpected time. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I would imagine we would rely more on some formations with Sherman on the field rather than Bell. The TE depth has been a major issue for years but you never know who'll turn into a star at the most unexpected time. 

I was never a huge D. Harris fan but I felt he had the ability to step up for a game or two if needed.   I had no confidence Blake Bell could even catch the ball.    I think Ricky Seals-Jones has more ability than Harris and while he's not a great blocker we need a guy to at least plug in for Kelce so we don't have to alter the entire playbook if he went out.   The third TE can be used for the blocking TE.

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

I'm hoping that guy they got from Cleveland (,can't remember his name) works out. They say he's got some talent

5 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I was never a huge D. Harris fan but I felt he had the ability to step up for a game or two if needed.   I had no confidence Blake Bell could even catch the ball.    I think Ricky Seals-Jones has more ability than Harris and while he's not a great blocker we need a guy to at least plug in for Kelce so we don't have to alter the entire playbook if he went out.   The third TE can be used for the blocking TE.

Jones, that's the guy I was.talking about.

My guess is no one this year kkuenn.   He's already on the books for 16 million.  Wouldn't surprise me if they don't give him a good signing bonus and then dropping that cap hit down so they can extend Kelce which is another rumor I've heard.   Or if you really want to go all in rework it this year so we could bring in Clowney on a one year deal.   

20 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

My guess is no one this year kkuenn.   He's already on the books for 16 million.  Wouldn't surprise me if they don't give him a good signing bonus and then dropping that cap hit down so they can extend Kelce which is another rumor I've heard.   Or if you really want to go all in rework it this year so we could bring in Clowney on a one year deal.   

Wow that would be insane. I would cut or trade a few of these guys. Get him paid and man if we could bring Clowney in too? Probably wont cut anyone but i would like to see the hit now rather than kick it down the road when Mahomes deal hits.

We have a few guys to sign then too like Hill, Schwartz, Fisher, Kelce who you mentioned and HB all come to mind in the next 3 years. I would rather save now on cutting these guys and keeping us in play to extend the others.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Wow that would be insane. I would cut or trade a few of these guys. Get him paid and man if we could bring Clowney in too? Probably wont cut anyone but i would like to see the hit now rather than kick it down the road when Mahomes deal hits.

We have a few guys to sign then too like Hill, Schwartz, Fisher, Kelce who you mentioned and HB all come to mind in the next 3 years. I would rather save now on cutting these guys and keeping us in play to extend the others.

Just saw something on Twitter that said Clowney doesn't want to pay for Cleveland or Miami because he doesn't think they can win.  Rumors of a 1 year deal worth 9-10 to possibly to play with Philly...... Kent Swanson commented on it.

You could easily get 9-10 million plus rookie deals in if we got a Jones deal done.   Clowney, Jones, Nnadi, Clark makes up a nasty nasty Dline beastly against the run and well above avg pass rushing.   Gotta think Spags would be salivating at the mouth for that front 4 with Pennel, Saunders, Kpass, Okafor and Charlton as your backups.....not bad.

35 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Just saw something on Twitter that said Clowney doesn't want to pay for Cleveland or Miami because he doesn't think they can win.  Rumors of a 1 year deal worth 9-10 to possibly to play with Philly...... Kent Swanson commented on it.

You could easily get 9-10 million plus rookie deals in if we got a Jones deal done.   Clowney, Jones, Nnadi, Clark makes up a nasty nasty Dline beastly against the run and well above avg pass rushing.   Gotta think Spags would be salivating at the mouth for that front 4 with Pennel, Saunders, Kpass, Okafor and Charlton as your backups.....not bad.

Maybe this would get the deal done with Jones IF he knows we are going all out again for back to back rings.  Grabbing Clowney would be insane but gotta be careful because that would mean pushing probably Jones contract down hill so it’s even more expensive in the later with Clowney taking $10 or so Million in cap vs Jones taking it upfront

59 minutes ago, Balto said:

Maybe this would get the deal done with Jones IF he knows we are going all out again for back to back rings.  Grabbing Clowney would be insane but gotta be careful because that would mean pushing probably Jones contract down hill so it’s even more expensive in the later with Clowney taking $10 or so Million in cap vs Jones taking it upfront

I think he (Clowney) could have a great year and get to reenter FA when (hopefully) Covid isn't still terrorizing our country.   He could easily net us a 3rd or 4th rounder.   You are right pushing Jones contract down the line isn't great but if we did a 3 yr/60 m type deal by the time Mahomes big money kicks in we could get out.   I like having Jones around for the next 2-3 years as we have a wide open window to win multiple rings.   

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

I think he (Clowney) could have a great year and get to reenter FA when (hopefully) Covid isn't still terrorizing our country.   He could easily net us a 3rd or 4th rounder.   You are right pushing Jones contract down the line isn't great but if we did a 3 yr/60 m type deal by the time Mahomes big money kicks in we could get out.   I like having Jones around for the next 2-3 years as we have a wide open window to win multiple rings.   

That would be great but I just don’t think a short 3 year contract would work if we also pay Clowney $9-$10M.  3 year $60M plus Clowney 1yr/$9M would make Jones contract look something like this.

2020:  $8M, rest of cap would be rookies+Clowneys $9M

2021:  $26M

2022:  $26M

I think it would need to be at least a 4yr if not 5yr deal to spread cap around better.  Of course we can always shed cap next year like Fish’s $12M or Hitch’s contract.