Chiefs' name and logo

Atlanta Braves keeping name, discussing tomahawk chop

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 8, 2020, 8:48 AM EDT

GettyImages-187378381-e1594212446397.jpg
Getty Images

While Washington owner Dan Snyder goes through the process of considering a name change, one of his baseball brethren is digging in on its name, while considering other steps.

According to Ken Rosenthal of TheAthletic.com, the Atlanta Braves will not change their name, but are discussing the continued use of the “Tomahawk Chop” chant.

“The Atlanta Braves honor, support and value the Native American community. That will never change,” the team said in a statement last weekend, adding that they’ve held meetings with the their Native American Working Group to collaborate with the team on “cultural issues, education and community outreach to amplify their voices and show our fans they are still proudly here.”

The chop became an issue last year during the playoffs, when Cardinals pitcher Ryan Helsley (a member of the Cherokee tribe) told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch last October that the chant depicts Native Americans “in this kind of caveman-type people way who aren’t intellectual.”

The Braves then canceled the distribution of 40,000 foam tomahawks before the next game, and didn’t play the music that accompanies the chant.

This offseason, the Braves have met with the National Congress of American Indians, and NCAI CEO Kevin Alis said he’s been encouraged by the conversations.

“NCAI is extremely encouraged by the efforts of athletic teams at the major league, college, and high school level that understand the harm to American Indians and their communities caused by mascots and team names,” Allis said. “Such imagery creates misperceptions and unfair stereotypes of the American Indian, tramples on sacred customs and traditions, and results in American Indians not being viewed as equals in our society. Painful disrespect is often seen when fans don themselves in ceremonial regalia, war paint, and shout made up chants with little or no understanding of the importance and stature of such within the American Indian communities across the country.

“We welcome and applaud the efforts to address this important issue by the Cleveland baseball team, and all other organizations in similar situations.”

The Cleveland Indians have also said they’d discuss the best path forward for their name, though their manager has said he believes it’s time for a change. The Indians had previously stopped using their cartoon “Chief Wahoo” mascot, and the Braves abandoned their “Chief Noc-A-Homa,” mascot in 1985.

Chiefs fans also do the chop at their games, though they have escaped the scrutiny while making their quarterback the highest-paid player in the sport.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:55 PM, WichitaZRide said:

So here’s a thought...I know it’s probably pretty radical, but hear me out...

our primary color is red, right?  What if we keep the name, but re-brand ourselves as fire fighters?  The Kansas City (fire) Chiefs?  The logo goes from an arrow to a Fire Department looking logo.   scrap the Native American stuff and go with the first responder branding instead?  Tomahawk Chop chip becomes the fire axe chop (obviously gotta ditch the Native American chanting, but someone can some up with something).  Replace the war drum with something else and call it good.  Come up with a new name for Suzies horse and we’re 95% done and have a name that will never be offensive...

Why not keep the name as is - Kansas City Chiefs - and just replace the arrowhead logo with a badge or military Chief emblem?  Probably have to rename the stadium something different, but the rest could stay as is. 

1 minute ago, TomahawkChop said:

Why not keep the name as is - Kansas City Chiefs - and just replace the arrowhead logo with a badge or military Chief emblem?  Probably have to rename the stadium something different, but the rest could stay as is. 

To be clear, I’m not advocating a name change as I do not in any way conceive it to be derogatory nor offensive. 

16 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

WTF is a Military Chief emblem?

7 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

I know many of us are all aware of how the Chiefs got their name, but here's a short read from 2009.  The name was never intended and does not "appropriate" the culture of anyone except, maybe, Mayor Bartle...

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/5/18/878497/how-the-kansas-city-chiefs-got

This honestly doesn't make it better, because how Bartle got his nickname and what he did with his Boy Scout troop was not particularly respectful of Native Americans.

32 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

This honestly doesn't make it better, because how Bartle got his nickname and what he did with his Boy Scout troop was not particularly respectful of Native Americans.

Care to elaborate.  I'm not really up on my boy scout history.  

42 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

How is what he did bad?  Is founding a native-American based Honor Society also now a bad thing?  Jeesh...

10 minutes ago, xen said:

It's in the linked article.  Maybe I overstated what I meant by saying it wasn't respectful, see below.

Just now, TomahawkChop said:

How is what he did bad?  Is founding a native-American based Honor Society also now a bad thing?  Jeesh...

You're saying our team name doesn't "appropriate" Native American culture because we're technically named after a white guy who decided to appropriate Native American culture.  I don't think that changes the substance of the discussion that much.

I think reasonable people can disagree on what constitutes "appropriation" and whether or not some or all appropriation is bad.  I certainly disagree with the extreme positions on both ends.  The "Native American Based Honor Society" just means they took on a Native American theme.  I have a hard time believing it was entirely respectful or appropriate, although I'm sure it was very of its time and almost certainly wasn't malicious.

I don't think it's automatically a reason to change our name now, either.

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

where you a Boy Scout or a  member of Mic -O-Say?. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

I can elaborate because I was an Eagle Scout as was my Father, My Grandfather a Chieftain in Mic-O-say , My Father a Medicine man and myself a warrior in Mic-O say. Other than the  standard issue Boy Scout ideals. It  taught respect of elders and long held traditions, nature, it taught self reliance and respect for others of all colors and creed just wrapped into an Native American Package as an honor to the Indians .  My Grandfather was OBTW  Bartle's personal attorney and the firm whom my father was apart of handling the Bartle  Estate  after Mrs Bartle died.. thats how we got those kick ass seats. I used to sit next to Mrs B at every game in the new stadium when it first opened. She was a very sweet lady. But I digress. Any thought or insinuation that the Chiefs or Mr Bartle had anything but the most  sincerest admiration for the" Indian Culture" is  some pin head who has digested their own diarrhea for an great majority of their life.. JMHO of course.

23 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I can elaborate because I was an Eagle Scout as was my Father, My Grandfather a Chieftain in Mic-O-say , My Father a Medicine man and myself a warrior in Mic-O say. Other than the  standard issue Boy Scout ideals. It  taught respect of elders and long held traditions, nature, it taught self reliance and respect for others of all colors and creed just wrapped into an Native American Package as an honor to the Indians .  My Grandfather was OBTW  Bartle's personal attorney and the firm whom my father was apart of handling the Bartle  Estate  after Mrs Bartle died.. thats how we got those kick ass seats. I used to sit next to Mrs B at every game in the new stadium when it first opened. She was a very sweet lady. But I digress. Any thought or insinuation that the Chiefs or Mr Bartle had anything but the most  sincerest admiration for the" Indian Culture" is  some pin head who has digested their own diarrhea for an great majority of their life.. JMHO of course.

Sounds horrible!

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

pick one then ..go ahead make my day .. Chief Petty Officer  or  Master Chief Sargent?  your fukn out of your mind

Jeesh, OT.  Tell me how you really feel.  It was just a thought.  I never said it was well-thought out, though.  You should know that about me by now.

6 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

Ok.  I took the bait.  How's this.

Pin on Collectible Pins  Let's hear it for your Kansas City Crew Chiefs!  MMM... I can almost smell the fries.

lol you win ...lol

I was looking at it from an Army frame of mind ya understand