Chiefs' name and logo

On 7/6/2020 at 9:55 PM, WichitaZRide said:

So here’s a thought...I know it’s probably pretty radical, but hear me out...

our primary color is red, right?  What if we keep the name, but re-brand ourselves as fire fighters?  The Kansas City (fire) Chiefs?  The logo goes from an arrow to a Fire Department looking logo.   scrap the Native American stuff and go with the first responder branding instead?  Tomahawk Chop chip becomes the fire axe chop (obviously gotta ditch the Native American chanting, but someone can some up with something).  Replace the war drum with something else and call it good.  Come up with a new name for Suzies horse and we’re 95% done and have a name that will never be offensive...

It's honestly not a horrible idea and I'd get behind it if there was ever a chance we had to change the name.  Which I don't think will ever happen haha

Would it need to include BOTH fire and police departments, and keep Chiefs?  Then would we need to add blue into something?  Maybe add an all black Uni and call them our Police Uni's?  Could replace black outlines with a dark dark blue?

Police Officer Cartoon - SUBPNG / PNGFLY

Fire Police w/blue line in middle Helmet Sticker 2"x2"

On 7/9/2020 at 10:51 AM, Balto said:

It's honestly not a horrible idea and I'd get behind it if there was ever a chance we had to change the name.  Which I don't think will ever happen haha

Would it need to include BOTH fire and police departments, and keep Chiefs?  Then would we need to add blue into something?  Maybe add an all black Uni and call them our Police Uni's?  Could replace black outlines with a dark dark blue?

Police Officer Cartoon - SUBPNG / PNGFLY

Fire Police w/blue line in middle Helmet Sticker 2"x2"

Except for one thing Balto....in today's toxic, woke environment, police are just as divisive as native American imagery. Going from one hot button to another. 

31 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Except for one thing Balto....in today's toxic, woke environment, police are just as divisive as native American imagery. Going from one hot button to another. 

I agree but to say all Police officers are like what we have seen on videos is just not true.  I think we need to lift up and praise the men and women that protect everyone equally and to have a great organization like the Chiefs praise these people is also a step in the right direction. 

12 hours ago, Balto said:

I agree but to say all Police officers are like what we have seen on videos is just not true.  I think we need to lift up and praise the men and women that protect everyone equally and to have a great organization like the Chiefs praise these people is also a step in the right direction. 

Agree 100% about the men in blue. Unfortunately the narrative right now is being twisted. Smart people know the truth. I just don't have faith there are more smart people then not.😳 Don't want this discussion to go off our beloved team...Go Chiefs!!

A case can be made that the term "Redskin" is insulting although I doubt many Indians care all that much.  The same doesn't apply to the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, KC Chiefs and a gazillion of college teams with mascots based on Indian tribes or terms.  There periods of uber political correctness come and go and the snowflakes are mostly trying to see how far they can push it just because they can. 

All I know is that if I ordered a can of white paint it would not be the same color as my skin. We are all shades of brown. Siberians are yellow and Native Americans are red. Ok. 

Not trying to start a LR discussion. Just saying, Chiefs v. Redskins or Indians are completely different discussions. Braves, Seminoles, pick one. 

6 hours ago, DieHard said:

All I know is that if I ordered a can of white paint it would not be the same color as my skin. We are all shades of brown. Siberians are yellow and Native Americans are red. Ok. 

Not trying to start a LR discussion. Just saying, Chiefs v. Redskins or Indians are completely different discussions. Braves, Seminoles, pick one. 

What about the Fighting Illini?  Seems like a liberal state like Illinois would drop that mane along with the Blackhawks.  And don't the White Sox represent privilege? 

https://sports.yahoo.com/chiefs-address-questions-regarding-team-181535825.html

On the same day the Washington franchise announced that its name will change, the Chiefs addressed for the first time whether its name and game-day traditions strike the proper balance between honor and misappropriation.

Team president Mark Donovan spoke at length to Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star regarding the subject, recognizing that the varying opinions on the matter make it a “tough spot.” But the Chiefs don’t face the problem of a name that is a dictionary-defined slur.

“We feel like it’s very different than in the Washington situation,” Donovan told Mellinger. “There’s a lot of true equity value in the traditions and the name and the history of the Kansas City Chiefs. That’s extremely valuable not only from an economic standpoint, but with the tradition of this team.”

The name of the team isn’t facing significant internal or external scrutiny. The tomahawk chop, however, is. But it also has plenty of people who want to keep it.

“It’s probably the part that’s had the most support as much as resistance, if that makes sense,” Donovan told Mellinger. “There hasn’t been a lot of support for, ‘We’ve got to keep headdresses.’ That’s not what we’ve heard. With the chop, we’ve heard much more, ‘Here’s the reasons it should stay,’ in support of keeping it. . . . Now, we’ve also heard it’s something that some can view as offensive. So that’s something we’ve got to look at.”

Mellinger points out that the Chiefs tried to eliminate the tomahawk chop in the ’90s, but that the decision quickly was reversed in reaction to negative feedback from fans.

Donovan didn’t mention whether the game-day tradition of banging a large war drum is under consideration, but it makes sense to explore all of the associated activities to ensure that they are not problematic.

5 hours ago, DieHard said:

The chop is borrowed and lame. Might as well do that silly Gator chomp thing. It is time that we do something original. Hold up a rib bone or something. 

So instead of doing the chop, the fans would do the chomp? 

On 7/15/2020 at 7:57 AM, DieHard said:

The chop is borrowed and lame. Might as well do that silly Gator chomp thing. It is time that we do something original. Hold up a rib bone or something. 

That would work if the name changed to the Chefs. The Chefs Chomp