1 minute ago, Scarecrow said:

Predicting the terms:

- $15M per year base salary each of the 10 years

- $200M signing bonus (spread out over the 10 years)

- 15% of any increase of the salary cap each year

Can you spread a signing bonus more than 5?

While the player gets the lump sum up front, the team can spread the signing bonus on their cap space into smaller payments over the length of the contract up to a maximum of five years. The spread out payment of this signing bonus is called the prorated bonus.May 9, 2020

With that said. He signed an extension. So can we give him a bonus payment now and he plays at the cap hit of his last 2 years if his rookie deal? Or do we wait 2 years then his bonus hits and we spread it out then? I believe it will be the former but still this will put 7 years of a contract with the bonus already paid off.

22 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

With that said. He signed an extension. So can we give him a bonus payment now and he plays at the cap hit of his last 2 years if his rookie deal? Or do we wait 2 years then his bonus hits and we spread it out then? I believe it will be the former but still this will put 7 years of a contract with the bonus already paid off.

He "must play out his rookie deal" so we don't have to give him anything for another year unless they think it helps down the line. However I'm not sure if the 5th year option counts as part of that rookie deal, I think it's simply an option that the team can pick up and players cannot refuse but don't think it goes into effect right away. 

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

He "must play out his rookie deal" so we don't have to give him anything for another year unless they think it helps down the line. However I'm not sure if the 5th year option counts as part of that rookie deal, I think it's simply an option that the team can pick up and players cannot refuse but don't think it goes into effect right away. 

Well with an extension they can rework those final 2 years too. A lot of time they keep the salary low but pay off a huge signing bonus. So it depends on it was all reworked.

Just now, kkuenn said:

Well with an extension they can rework those final 2 years too. A lot of time they keep the salary low but pay off a huge signing bonus. So it depends on it was all reworked.

I guess the 5th year option counts as well.