1. Looking forward to details 

2. Texans are gonna be livid

3. Not a fan, love Pat and want him here for life, but there are too many external things in life that can derail a person or their motivation such as loss of friend or loved one, coaching change, come home and neighbor railing your gf/wife, boredom, team can't keep or sign FA, ect.  We have no outs worst case scenario...love keeping him but man lot of factors to consider. 

Sources: Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes agree to 10-year, $400 million extension

play

Has Mahomes done enough to be drafted No. 1 in NFL history over Brady? (2:04)
1:01 PM MT
  • ESPN

The Kansas City Chiefs and quarterback Patrick Mahomes have reached agreement on a 10-year contract extension worth over $400 million total that ties him to Kansas City through the 2031 season, league sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Chiefs picked up Mahomes' fifth-year option for the 2021 season in April, putting him under contract for the next two seasons. The 10-year extension puts him under contract with the Chiefs for the next 12 seasons.

Patrick Mahomes: Last 2 Seasons

3139477.png&w=120&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=true

Including the playoffs Patrick Mahomes leads the NFL in touchdown passes, passing yards, yards per attempt, Total QBR and wins as a starter over the last two seasons.

NFL RANK
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Pass TD 89 1st
Pass yards 10,602 1st
Wins 27 1st
Total QBR 79 1st
Yards per att. 8.5 1st

Mahomes becomes the fourth quarterback to receive an extension before the start of their fourth season since 2011, joining Ryan Tannehill (Miami Dolphins in 2015), Carson Wentz (Philadelphia Eagles in '19) and Jared Goff (Los Angeles Rams in '19).

He is not the first quarterback to agree to an extension of 10 years or more.

The Chiefs had said they intended to sign their franchise quarterback to an extension but had previously indicated it might not happen until after this season.

Mahomes, 24, was named Super Bowl MVP after Kansas City's 31-20 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LIV, becoming the first quarterback in NFL history to win a league MVP and Super Bowl before turning 25.

Mahomes became the youngest quarterback to be named Super Bowl MVP, helping the Chiefs erase a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit by leading three touchdown drives. He finished 26-of-42 for 286 yards with three total touchdowns (two passing, one rushing), two interceptions and a 78.6 passer rating. He joined Tom Brady (Super Bowl XLIX) and Terry Bradshaw (XIV) as the only players to win Super Bowl MVP despite throwing multiple interceptions.

Mahomes was named the NFL's MVP after the 2018 season when he led the NFL with 50 touchdown passes and threw for 5,097 yards in his first full season as a starter.

The Chiefs traded up in the 2017 draft to select Mahomes with the 10th overall pick. He sat out for most of his rookie season behind starter Alex Smith, only starting in the season finale when the Chiefs rested their starters.

The Chiefs traded Smith to the Washington Redskins before the following season, making Mahomes the starter.

Overall, Mahomes has thrown for 9,412 yards with 76 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in 31 regular-season games. In five playoff games, he has thrown for 1,474 yards with 13 touchdowns and two interceptions.

I just saw this. It's a lot of money, but I kind of knew it would be. If you look at what QB's like Carson Wentz or Goff got it doesn't surprise me. Mahomes is better than both those guys, much better IMO.  I wonder how much is guaranteed, even if it's half of $427 Mil he's set

Hopefully he stays healthy and we never have to wonder about the QB position again this decade. But hey, he got us a ring and looks like a hall of fame type career if he gets another ring or a few more years of phenomenal stats. At least we can say for the first time in my lifetime that the QB position is locked up.

4 minutes ago, qnet said:

I just saw this. It's a lot of money, but I kind of knew it would be. If you look at what QB's like Carson Wentz or Goff got it doesn't surprise me. Mahomes is better than both those guys, much better IMO.  I wonder how much is guaranteed, even if it's half of $427 Mil he's set

Unless Pat is an idiot (which it seems unlikely) he is set.  His endorsements alone are enough to keep him in the money. 

The Chiefs are betting that the salaries keep going up and that $40 million in 2031 will be like $30 million or less today.  If they are on the hook for only $2.9 million this season and $24.8 next year, can they still afford Jones? Dropping Sammy and Hitchens next year will help, but there may be a real squeeze coming when Fisher, Schwartz, and Kelce are due. 

30 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Think they are saying 10/450. So 12/477, which avg 39.75 million per year for 12.   Was hoping for a little less but that is about where it should be for his production.  Glad this got done!

Yup that’s how I see it as well

This quote is a big reason I love this guy so much. 

MAHOMES: “Chiefs Kingdom, you’ve been with me since the beginning, from rookie year, to becoming a starter, to the unconventional, to doing whatever it takes to win, to showdowns. You helped me come back from injury, you helped us come back from deficits, multiple deficits. You helped us overcome adversity to become Super Bowl champions, and we’re staying together for a long time. We’re chasing a dynasty.”

Your welcome Pat. Let’s have some fun.

1 minute ago, xen said:

I would bet not.  Can't wait to see the details.

I can't wait to see the details either. The 140 million injury guarantee is a smart move by his agent,  if that's a stand lone thing or even part of what he's getting guaranteed.