Yup thanks for posting

Pats said several times that he wanted to make sure he made sure that he signed something that allowed players around him to be taken care of.  I honestly think thats a big reason he did the 10 year deal vs a 5 year HEAVY loaded contract.  Even if the numbers get pretty big in the future, its still a very team friendly deal for the next 3-4 years BUT still 10 years at $503M sounds like a crap load and he gets the "attention" he deserves.

Really does seem like a win win for both Pat and the Chiefs.

Inside Patrick Mahomes’ contract negotiations — the two things he wanted from the Chiefs in a new deal

Mahomes desired financial security for generations to come while ensuring that Kansas City stayed competitive. The Chiefs believe they accomplished both.

By Pete Sweeney  

In March of 2019 — 16 months from the date of this writing, MLB outfielder Mike Trout signed a 12-year, $430 million contract extension with the Los Angeles Angels.

Chiefs director of football administration Brandt Tillis, who had heard the news, dropped by general manager Brett Veach’s office. He had something to share regarding the then-reigning AP NFL MVP — their quarterback, Patrick Mahomes.

“‘Pat’s going to be a baseball contract,’” Veach recalled Tillis saying. “‘That’s how good this kid’s going to be, and we need to start thinking like this.’”

The Chiefs were already framing their baseball contract before Mahomes won the Super Bowl. And the figure for that contract only went up and up and up — with a Pro Bowl MVP, a Super Bowl MVP and the first championship in 50 seasons for the Chiefs franchise.

It was that advanced planning that allowed the Chiefs to create what could be considered the most creative contract in the history of the National Football league or American sports entirely — one that see Mahomes sign the country’s richest deal while also allowing the franchise wiggle room to stay competitive.

During Tuesday’s Zoom press conference with the Kansas City media, head coach Andy Reid and Veach credited Mahomes for his progressive maturity.

NFL: Preseason-Cincinnati Bengals at Kansas City ChiefsJay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

“I’m not going to sit here and lie and say that having a great football team around me doesn’t help me when I’m on the field,” said Mahomes, “And so I wanted to find the best way that I could do that, and I feel like as we talked... they came to me with this idea and this concept of obviously making me financially secure but having the ability to go out and re-sign all these guys — like we’re returning 20 of 22 starters. I knew that this was going to be the right way to do it, where we can accomplish both of those things that are so important to me.”

Mahomes provided his representatives, Leigh Steinberg and Chris Cabbott, with two directives: in a new contract, he wanted financial security for years to come — and he wanted to win.

Veach said Mahomes’ foresight allowed the Chiefs to sign free agents like safety Tyrann Mathieu and extend successful draft picks like wide receiver Tyreek Hill.

“I joked with Chris (Cabbott),” explained Veach. “I said, ‘It’s almost impossible to do the biggest contract in sports history and have a player look unselfish,’ but somehow Pat is able to do this in a unique way where he’s the highest-paid player in the game and will be for a long time, yet does so in a way to allow us to reward his teammates along the way.

“It’s very unique, and I don’t think the city should take that for granted — I know they won’t.”

NFL: CombineBrian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

The Chiefs and Mahomes’ representation came to an agreement on the contract on July 4 — Mahomes said he heard of the news via a call from Cabbott before taking in some fireworks with his family.

How’s that for a picture? Mahomes looking at fireworks up in the sky, knowing that in two days he would sign his name on a piece of paper that would make him the highest-paid player in professional sports?

The fireworks served as the culmination. The discussions to make it happen took longer than a year.

It helped that Veach had a long-standing relationship with Cabbott, dating back to before Mahomes became a Kansas City Chief. Veach and Cabott texted frequently leading up to the 2017 NFL Draft, when Kansas City would trade with Buffalo to go get their quarterback of the future.

Veach noted negotiations with this much money on the line can often turn quite contentious. But that never happened between these two camps.

“There was never a sense of ‘We need to win this,’ or ‘We have to win this.’ This was, ‘How can we get this done?’” Veach said. “And that goes back to Pat because ultimately Chris (Cabbott) and Leigh (Steinberg) work for Pat, and Pat has to have this long-term vision on what he wants his legacy to be.”

“He was very conscious about the situation of being able to keep players,” said Reid, who after 20 years in the league, knows how these things can go. “That was in the dialogue there, and he made it known to us that however we can work that out, we can do it.”

Mahomes wanted to be fairly compensated, but the team-first approach was emphasized throughout.

NFL: Super Bowl LIV-San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City ChiefsMatthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

“It’s never been about money to me,” Mahomes said. “It’s awesome and it’s an exciting time for me, but at the same time, I’ve always been about being the best person, the best player that I can be. This is another step in the journey that’s just beginning. I’m just excited that I have this done, and I have that security where I can be the same player that I was and that same person that I was the day I stepped in this league.”

As he does for every major decision, the quarterback turned to the family brain trust — his father, Pat Sr., and his godfather, LaTroy Hawkins — both of whom are former professional baseball players. They advised young Mahomes that he could not build the legacy he is seeking alone.

“You want to have great players around you,” Mahomes said of their counsel. “You don’t want to be a guy that takes up all the money, and then all of a sudden, you’re having to find different guys that can take cheaper deals. Those guys need to be rewarded as well. It’s not about one person, and I truly believe that. I know the situation that I was brought into and how could a situation it was where I got to sit a year behind a great quarterback, who taught me a lot (Alex Smith), then I got to play with a lot of great players the moment I stepped on the football field. And so I understand that I have a bigger perspective, I guess you would say, of how to go out there and obviously get the security that I want, but at the same time, reward the guys that have helped me be the person that I am and the player that I am.

“I feel like with the contract and how it was done, I feel like I got both of those things — we’re going to be able to reward players and keep a lot of these guys around that have built a culture even before I was here, and at the same time, I have the security that I know my future generations will be able to have.”

On the Chiefs side of the negotiations, Tillis worked closely with Chris Shea, the football operations counsel and personnel executive who joined the Chiefs in 2017 to work specifically on the salary cap. Tillis and Shea ran ideas by Veach and Cabbott, who offered some ideas of his own.

When there was a snag with the contract, owner Clark Hunt intervened — so much so that Veach joked Hunt may want to give cap management a try if being an owner does not work out.

NFL: Super Bowl LIV-Kansas City Chiefs Champions ParadeDenny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

During the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, with no sports to watch, many sports fanatics — Mahomes included — turned their attention to ESPN’s “The Last Dance.” The 10-part series documented the sixth and final season of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls’ six-title dynasty.

Watching Jordan and how he went about things resonated with Mahomes. He had always prioritized his legacy, but seeing the ideas of the greatest basketball player of all time affirmed his thinking.

“I’ve always believed in those things, about the legacy, about going out there and being the best player and having the best teammates around me,” said Mahomes. “And it’s not about one person; it’s about the team. I think that’s the biggest thing. I think you see that with our whole entire team, is you see we have a lot of these guys coming back that want to be a part of this, that want to be a part of this culture, that want to be a part of trying to build a dynasty because those things aren’t easy to do, and we understand that, so it’s going to take a lot of hard work and a lot of dedication, and I feel like we have that with a lot of guys we have in this locker room.”

And now with the contract on the books, Veach can move onto the next task — surrounding Mahomes with as much talent as possible under the cap. Believe it or not, sometimes general managers can sound like fans at a tailgate.

“I know as well as anybody that if Pat Mahomes is healthy and there is talent around him, it’s unstoppable,” Veach said frankly.

And then the 62-year-old head coach with no plans of retiring perfectly summed up the day.

“Very seldom do you come out of a deal and go, you know what? It’s a win-win,” Reid added. “It’s a win for the player, it’s also a win for the team, the organization, and so I’m one happy guy — I put on my best Tommy Bahama for all of you, today, just to celebrate this. Man, this is a big day, and it’s an awesome thing.”

The best QB in the NFL will be 23rd in CAP hit this year, 13th next year and has nearly the exact same CAP as Dak Prescott is set to have this year in 2022. Take that CAP value up about 25% by 2022 and that means in three years we will have a 27 year old multi Super Bowl champion QB making 25% less by value than Dak Prescott did in 2019.

sure would like to see the entire list of things he can not do anymore

“I still don’t think I’m allowed to play basketball. I’m sure baseball is not going to be allowed as well. I know there’s a lot of them. They have like everything from jet skiing too, I don’t know what all the things are. I read a lot of them. It’s pretty much every physical activity you could possibly do. I’ll probably be sticking with football and video games for now,” Mahomes said.

I decided to look around the message boards of the other AFC West team's fanbases to see their reaction. It's hilarious!  Basically the concensus is Mahomes' contract is going to be a huge albatross around the organization's neck ...thus handcuffing us for the next decade. 

Do these people not understand how the salary cap works? How it changes year to year ...cap hit vs. salary?. Long term deals and restructures? The new TV contract is gonna jack the cap when it kicks in. Mahomes may look like a bargain in 5 years 

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

I decided to look around the message boards of the other AFC West team's fanbases to see their reaction. It's hilarious!  Basically the concensus is Mahomes' contract is going to be a huge albatross around the organization's neck ...thus handcuffing us for the next decade. 

Do these people not understand how the salary cap works? How it changes year to year ...cap hit vs. salary?. Long term deals and restructures? The new TV contract is gonna jack the cap when it kicks in. Mahomes may look like a bargain in 5 years 

Yahoo Sports put  an article up about his contract. and yea the majority thought in the comments section was that he's no Brady because Brady  was never the highest paid QB and realized that he needed a supporting cast and now the Chiefs are cap strapped for the next 10 years..most of the ney sayers all had their nose up Brady's ass

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29419411/is-patrick-mahomes-500-million-contract-actually-team-friendly-answering-eight-questions-chiefs-qb-deal

What are the chances Mahomes actually plays out this whole deal and makes $503 million?

Slim. He might very well make more than $500 million over the next 12 years, but the chances that the two sides choose to ride this deal all the way out to 2031 are low. The structure of the deal, the history of quarterback contracts and the recent path of the salary cap all suggest that the Chiefs and their star aren't likely to see the final few years of this contract under the current terms.

The structure of this deal makes me think it will end up as a six-year, $183.4 million pact before the two sides negotiate a new contract after the 2025 season finishes, which would reduce $319.2 million of this deal to play money.

Is this a good deal for both sides? Did one side win?

Both Mahomes and the Chiefs can generally feel good about this deal. He and his representation wanted to come away with something that blew away the typical quarterback contract. The numbers on this deal aren't figures we talk about when it comes to even the best football players. Nobody in league history has earned more than Eli Manning's $252.3 million. Mahomes just signed a contract for nearly double that much money over the next 10 years, and it'll be difficult -- although not impossible -- for the Chiefs to get out of the deal unless Mahomes wants to sign for more money. This is one of the most significant contracts in pro football history.

And yet, the more I look at it, the more I feel like this deal is risk averse. The contract is structured to make it almost impossible for the Chiefs to cut him, but what are the chances that they're going to do that over the next decade? It would take a catastrophic injury or an unprecedented case of the yips for the Chiefs to cut him, and insurance could have helped cover the risk with the former. Obviously, I can never fault him or anyone else for taking this kind of money. I just think you can make a case that he gave up a lot up front in this deal without getting something like a guaranteed percentage of the cap down the line.

• 2 weeks later...