Offensive Line Ranks going into 2020 -PFF

12. Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas City's offensive line was fairly average last season before going on an outstanding three-game run in the playoffs. Left tackle Eric Fisher got off to a slow start early in his career, but he’s settled in as an above-average tackle, posting a 74.8 grade that ranks 28th among 81 qualifiers over the last three years. Right tackle Mitchell Schwartz is annually one of the league’s best, as he ranks fifth with an 87.5 overall grade during that same time frame. Schwartz had one of the best playoff runs in history, leading the Chiefs with a 92.8 overall grade while allowing just one pressure on 142 pass-blocking attempts.

The interior is an athletic group that is generally better in pass protection than in the run game. Left guard Andrew Wylie finished with the 12th-best pass-blocking grade among guards, while center Austin Reiter finished ninth at 79.2. However, Wylie was closer to the middle of the pack in the run game, and Reiter ranked in the bottom third among centers. Right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is coming off the lowest grade of his career at 59.7, but he’s been a reasonable starter, ranking 37th with a 65.1 grade over the last three years.

The Chiefs also have good depth at tackle, including Mike Remmers, who is better as a backup at this point in his career, while third-round pick Lucas Niang is one of the best developmental options in the draft. Niang was productive at TCU despite technique that needs to be re-worked, and he may be a viable starter down the road.

Overall, the Chiefs have four mid-level starters and a star in Schwartz at right tackle, a combination that should put them back in the top half of the league if everyone stays healthy. 

Schwartz is the best RT in football. He just rarely gets beat. Fisher is solid. Those two battled their asses off and won battle against Bosa/Ford.  The middle three are all below average and need to be replaced. 49ers killed us in between the tackles. That said with the two starters in at tackle we probably average over 30 PPG in Mahomes career. So imagine some actual competence there. 

Overall though Mahomes makes that line look better than it is with unbelievable instinctiveness. Head up, subtle moves...he's just brilliant under duress. 

17 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Schwartz is the best RT in football. He just rarely gets beat. Fisher is solid. Those two battled their asses off and won battle against Bosa/Ford.  The middle three are all below average and need to be replaced. 49ers killed us in between the tackles. That said with the two starters in at tackle we probably average over 30 PPG in Mahomes career. So imagine some actual competence there. 

Overall though Mahomes makes that line look better than it is with unbelievable instinctiveness. Head up, subtle moves...he's just brilliant under duress. 

Exactly. If the chiefs could somehow upgrade any of the 3 interior spots before the season starts the line would be extremely good imo

19 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

I think that's about right. Good enough to be just outside of the too 10. Fisher is good Balto and realistically his contract isn't bad. I'd rather keep the bookend tackles and revamp the interior. That'll make it better all around.

I agree that Fisher is above avg LT I just think he is getting overpaid and KC has the HIGHEST cap hit towards starting OT's in the NFL but on the back end of the interior.  I think we will either need to daft much better at OL or replace Fisher's contract to bring in better interior.  

Give me a stud rookie/2nd year guy at LT + a couple good interior guys

OVER

Fisher and crap at interior 

I would definitely look to upgrade Fisher, his rankings don't justify his pay but he's definitely not the weak link on the line. We should look to fix the interior OL before changing OTs as long as health/age doesn't become an issue. 

15 hours ago, Balto said:

I agree that Fisher is above avg LT I just think he is getting overpaid and KC has the HIGHEST cap hit towards starting OT's in the NFL but on the back end of the interior.  I think we will either need to daft much better at OL or replace Fisher's contract to bring in better interior.  

Give me a stud rookie/2nd year guy at LT + a couple good interior guys

OVER

Fisher and crap at interior 

That will end when Stanley and Brown get paid in Baltimore. Look at the deal Tunsil got from DA O'Brien in Houston....smdh

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

That will end when Stanley and Brown get paid in Baltimore. Look at the deal Tunsil got from DA O'Brien in Houston....smdh

How much are you spending on interior?

6 minutes ago, Balto said:

How much are you spending on interior?

Get a good center. LG and RG will benefit from having a good center and then the tackles holding their own as they have will then look better. Need a smart center who can pick up stunts/blitzes and help double team with a guard if needed. Also one that is not pushed back so easily into the QB. Center is where we need to invest in.

Niang and Rankin will be our starting guards sooner than later. It could happen as soon as week 1. I subscribe to The Athletic and during a recent Chiefs Q&A Nate Taylor said this in a response to a question about Chiefs rookie development :

" The biggest nugget,  though, is that the Chiefs are intrigued to see just how quickly Lucas Niang can get adjusted to the NFL to perhaps compete for a starting spot as a guard on the offensive line."

People better get used to this idea. They just made Mahomes the richest man in the league. They arent gonna put Wylie and LDT out there week 1 just because they are more experienced. Day 1 of camp? Maybe. But those 2 are both bums and the 2 aforementioned youngsters have a chance to be above average NFL starters.