Watkins takes a pay cut

KC is the perfect place for a guy like Sammy.

Andy doesn't care if he's weird and let's him be himself.

He's injury prone but we have the horses to weather some missed games.

He still gets paid good money for the 3rd option and doesn't have to be the man, yet he still is a key cog that prevents other teams from just concentrating on Hill and Kelce.

He likes the area and the team.

Sounds like he's got his priorities straight.

Sammy is awesome.  Glad he stuck around.

7 hours ago, xen said:

Depends on if we pay jones and/or how bad the reduction on the overall cap is next year.

Significant decisions will be C. Ward,  Kpass, Pennel, Reiter, Robinson, both Williams, Wilson, Sorenson, Breeland, Jones and Watkins.   To be honest we could move forward without any of them but they do make up a large portion of our good core players.   

How much worse are we if we do trade Chris Jones and Damien Williams this year for say a 2nd and two 4th.   Then sign someone like Clowney, Harrison for one year and roll with Washington, CEH, Darrell and Darwin?   The only reason I ask is those 3 picks in this upcoming draft will go a long way at replenishing some much needed talent for this next decade run.    Tough decisions for sure.    I go back and forth on Jones as I think his interior pass rush is very unique and helps mask other issues on the back end for us.   I think his pass rush is worth more than a top tier CB.   However 20 million per is steep and does limit the talent we could add at multiple positions.  

If Watkins extends with a 2nd tier WR money that would be awesome as we wouldn't need to worry about the position for quite some time. Always have a youngster to groom as Andy likes for the future but never really needing a high investment. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

If Watkins extends with a 2nd tier WR money that would be awesome as we wouldn't need to worry about the position for quite some time. Always have a youngster to groom as Andy likes for the future but never really needing a high investment. 

As hard as it is to learn his playbook I wouldn’t mind Hill, Watkins and Hardman for the next two years.     Also think CEH is gonna help a lot on O.

I get he took a small pay cut from last year but was a team really gonna pay him $20M again?  He is still hitting our cap for over $17M and him not being let go could mean no Chris Jones.  I’m still happy he is staying but I just wouldn’t say Sammy threw us a solid

14 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Him and Tyreek on the flanks with Hardman up the middle? For years to come possibly? 

I'd rather see Hill and Hardman on the wings running fly routes, with Kelce and Watkins in the slots running slants.

17 hours ago, xen said:

Sammy is awesome

he absolutely wrecked the playoffs and the SB

solid possession receiver... not afraid to take a hit but smart enough to avoid it whenever possible

one of the best in the league... 

love him... glad he's staying

Just now, mex said:

he absolutely wrecked the playoffs and the SB

solid possession receiver... not afraid to take a hit but smart enough to avoid it whenever possible

one of the best in the league... 

love him... glad he's staying

Just wish we could get a whole season out of him

Going anywhere else wouldn’t be nearly as fun.   Enjoying yourself is way underrated in the scheme of things.  Sure you gotta set your family up for life if you can but if you can do that and have a blast.....kind of a no brainer.    No way Leveon Bell can be having as much fun for a terrible Jets team as he did playing for a perennial winner in Pittsburgh.   But yeah like some of you said it wasn’t much of a discount.   Would love to find a rookie next year in the draft that could do what he does.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, mex said:

I hear ya but we didn't get a whole season out of MVPat, Jones, or Clark either

True but they have all played a full season and will do so again. Watkins has done it once?  He has yet to play ine with the Chiefs and is more apt to be out than these guys mentioned.

5 hours ago, robgar said:

you wanna find a rookie, that does what sammy does in the draft.. Guess we are trading up in the first round ...

Not necessarily.  Kelce, Hill, and Hardman were not first rounders.  Sammy hasn't lived up to his first rounder expectations.  May be easier to find his replacement in the first, but also easy to whiff when better talent is available on the second day.  Jon Baldwin, Sly Mo are two examples. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Not necessarily.  Kelce, Hill, and Hardman were not first rounders.  Sammy hasn't lived up to his first rounder expectations.  May be easier to find his replacement in the first, but also easy to whiff when better talent is available on the second day.  Jon Baldwin, Sly Mo are two examples. 

I had high hopes for Sly Mo. I seriously thought he was going to be a good one for a long time. 

Hard to judge those guys.  Circumstances, QB, offensive scheme, and HC can all play a part in guys success.   But yes WR's seem to have a higher bust rate or so it seems.   I do think we will be investing another 2nd or 3rd in a wr next year when Sammy is gone (assuming he's gone) and maybe a 1st depending if one falls in our lap.   After this years draft, Veach is going to make it a priority to keep talent around Mahomes.

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Hard to judge those guys.  Circumstances, QB, offensive scheme, and HC can all play a part in guys success.   But yes WR's seem to have a higher bust rate or so it seems.   I do think we will be investing another 2nd or 3rd in a wr next year when Sammy is gone (assuming he's gone) and maybe a 1st depending if one falls in our lap.   After this years draft, Veach is going to make it a priority to keep talent around Mahomes.

Higher priorities than WR in the first next spring.