Jones signs 4 year deal

52 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

But will he run away from tackling a player then later in his rookie deal line up off sides to cost us a trip to the SB type of farts?

I'm thinking more about missed assignments and reads. I think he'll run towards tackles and I think he'll remember from Pop Warner which side of the ball to line up on :)

Just saw this on Instagram, and couldn't believe it.  I don't know how they did it, and don't care. Mahomes deal certainly had to help.  The Chiefs aren't messing around.  Like Watkins, I know  some of you got frustrated with Chris Jones,  but they always come up very big, at the right time during games. 

now we have to hope the draft picks pan out because that is going to be the real issue moving forward. With so much cap space tied up in

players like Mahomes, Jones, Clark, Mathieu etc they are going to have to rely on draft picks to supplement the team moving forward

44 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

now we have to hope the draft picks pan out because that is going to be the real issue moving forward. With so much cap space tied up in

players like Mahomes, Jones, Clark, Mathieu etc they are going to have to rely on draft picks to supplement the team moving forward

They will get a boost from vets who will sign for a one year deal to get a shot at a ring, but agree, the Chiefs have to draft to replace guys who will be released rather than getting long term deals.  Watkins, Robinson, LDT, Hichens, Sorenson, and Damien  Wilson won't be around in 2022. 

52 minutes ago, jetlord said:

They will get a boost from vets who will sign for a one year deal to get a shot at a ring, but agree, the Chiefs have to draft to replace guys who will be released rather than getting long term deals.  Watkins, Robinson, LDT, Hichens, Sorenson, and Damien  Wilson won't be around in 2022. 

Not to big of losses there either really and think of all the money freed up not resigning them. Watkins should be replaced by Hardman or draft pick. Draft another LB, WR, CB after seeing what we do this year. TE is getting a need here soon too.

Overall if Niang works out and one of our younger OL at guard we will be fine on offense for a while. Gay and some of our young CBs do well and we may not be needing much other than hitting on our high picks and good depth/development players. I do expect a few try one deals in here trying for a ring too.

I think no signing bonus is huge and isn't being talk about more.

With no signing bonus his contract really doesn't HURT us latter on.  I'm a big fan of this contract when it comes to NO signing bonus to get more guaranteed money.

Year Age Base Salary   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $80,000,000   $37,626,000   $80,000,000      
2020 26 $16,126,000   $16,126,000   $16,126,000 7.3%  
$37,626,000
($21,500,000)
2021 27 $21,500,000   $21,500,000   $21,500,000 10.0%  
$21,500,000
$0
2022 28 $22,374,000   $0   $22,374,000 9.8%  
$0
$22,374,000
2023 29 $20,000,000   $0   $20,000,000 8.3%  
$0
$20,000,000

10 minutes ago, Balto said:

I think no signing bonus is huge and isn't being talk about more.

With no signing bonus his contract really doesn't HURT us latter on.  I'm a big fan of this contract when it comes to NO signing bonus to get more guaranteed money.

Year Age Base Salary   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $80,000,000   $37,626,000   $80,000,000      
2020 26 $16,126,000   $16,126,000   $16,126,000 7.3%  
$37,626,000
($21,500,000)
2021 27 $21,500,000   $21,500,000   $21,500,000 10.0%  
$21,500,000
$0
2022 28 $22,374,000   $0   $22,374,000 9.8%  
$0
$22,374,000
2023 29 $20,000,000   $0   $20,000,000 8.3%  
$0
$20,000,000

Yep.  Veach signed Mahomes and CJ for a total of 10m signing bonus and a cap raise this year of a few hundred thousand.  Remarkable.

Basically Jones took the Guaranteed Salary of $37 million without any Signing Bonus and the team can cut him after 2 years, not take a Cap Hit and actually save money.

guaranteeing the 2 years in exchange for no SB pro rated over the term of the contract also allows him to get another bite of the apple before he is 30.

Team gives up cash up front, player gives up years on contract.

This is how things will be done from now on- until the CBA is rewritten.

The Chiefs will look very smart IF the TV contract causes the cap to rise significantly in the next three years.. They have a couple of years to extend Kelce, the OTs, and HB if they want to keep the team in tact.  If they hit a couple of home runs in the draft, they can replace the tackles, Hitchens, Watkins, etc. while keeping a base of seven or eight highly paid key players.  It all depends on the drafts with a few one year vet deals thrown in.  The days of huge FA signings are over for now.  If the Chiefs can snag a few third round picks in exchange for losing a few starters, they could pull off the dynasty thing.  

20 hours ago, xen said:

Yep.  Veach signed Mahomes and CJ for a total of 10m signing bonus and a cap raise this year of a few hundred thousand.  Remarkable.

I think players are fine with the lack of a signing bonus as long as they get some guarantees. Makes a lot of sense in the current environment as it allows the club to keep some cash in the pocket without knowing what the future holds. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

I don't think Jones left much of the table.  Maybe some signing bonus money, but he'll get his $60 million. 

By year 3 and befire Mahomes deal really hits in I think it is set up for a cut of year 4 for Jones. That or rework it type deal. Next few years we have also other FAs upcoming so we will have choices.

Thing is the cap will go up too. I think it is set up to greatly help us. We draft well and we can replace some of those higher to retain upcoming FAs 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I don't think Jones left much of the table.  Maybe some signing bonus money, but he'll get his $60 million. 

I think Pat said he left some on the table, implying that there was enough left to get a deal with Chris done.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Reading is FUNdamental.

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think Pat said he left some on the table, implying that there was enough left to get a deal with Chris done.

Correct.  I posted that to show Pat was showing leadership.

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think Mahomes is saying he left something on the table so Jones could get some in the short term. 

Understand that.  After the Super Bowl there was much talk that Mahomes would command $40 million and he signed for more than that.  Doesn't seem like much left on the table but I suppose it's all in the way it's structured.  Jones signed a very good deal for him.  All that is missing is the signing bonus but he'll get paid well for at least three years.