Jones signs 4 year deal

12 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Understand that.  After the Super Bowl there was much talk that Mahomes would command $40 million and he signed for more than that.  Doesn't seem like much left on the table but I suppose it's all in the way it's structured.  Jones signed a very good deal for him.  All that is missing is the signing bonus but he'll get paid well for at least three years. 

I think the average over 10 years is the key as cap is expected to go up. Regardless I don't see Mahomes playing under this contract for the next 12 years, we'll see quite a bit of restructures and extensions in the process. The important part was Mahomes signing the extension which made his rookie deal continue as is for the next 2 years that helps out with the cap in the uncertain times.

Regardless it's all a risk as we don't know how things will turn out in the short term. 

We still get screwed to some degree.  Cap will probably stay y he same next year to avoid a one year large dip but for that to happen the owners will probably want the cap to be lock for a few years and possible borrow from future years.  If this had never happened then Pats contract would be a steal in 2-4 years.  Not saying it won’t be overall but we need to cap to keep rising to give us flexibility.   

With the money saved on Watkins and LDT next season and the dead money on Berry's contract gone next year, the Chiefs should be in good shape for the short term.  Might be time to extend Kelce for a couple more years and one of the OTs.