Ravens RB thinks Lamar Jackson should get the same money as Pat

KC Warpaint

It’s been more than a week since the deal was announced, but it still doesn’t seem real.

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes can earn more than a half-billion dollars over the next dozen seasons.

That’s an unprecedented contract, but Baltimore Ravens running back Mark Ingram believes one of his teammates should receive the same windfall. Ingram was asked by CBS Sports last week how much Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson should get in his next contract since Mahomes signed a $503 million extension.

“He got to be worth at least the same amount (as Mahomes), if not more,” Ingram said. “I know he’s champing at the bit to get his opportunity to get his extension, but he’s not worried about that, he just wants to play good ball. He just want to win games, but we know that LJ is going secure that bag real soon.”

Jackson is about to enter his third season in the NFL, so he could be in line for a contract extension next summer.

In his first full season as a starter, Jackson helped the Ravens take the top seed in the AFC playoff field with a 14-2 regular-season record. However, they were knocked out of the playoffs by the Tennessee Titans in the AFC Divisional round.

Jackson was named the NFL’s MVP following the season after he became the first quarterback in league history to top 3,000 passing yards and have more than 1,000 rushing yards in a season. He also had an NFL-best 36 touchdown passes.

A year earlier, Mahomes led the NFL in that category and followed it up by leading the Chiefs to the Super Bowl LIV championship.

That is a path Jackson hopes to follow.

“I got to win me a Super Bowl. I got to get what he has,” Jackson said on ESPN earlier this week when talking about Mahomes’ contract.

Jackson was asked if he was surprised that Mahomes signed a contract of that size.

“It’s a crazy number,” Jackson said. “No one has ever dreamed about that. Well, probably dreamed about it, but no one ever expected that. Especially half a billion dollars but that’s different. He deserves it, though.”

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...