Chiefs rookies scheduled to report today?

The Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans open 2020 training camp on Monday by having rookies report to their facilities. Kansas City and Houston open the NFL’s season in September.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero outlined the first day for the Chiefs on this morning’s edition of “Good Morning Football.”

“The first day is literally just a COVID-19 test. They take the test, they go home,” Pelissero said. “They come back to the building on Tuesday, take another COVID-19 test. If they get two negatives (tests) in a row, only then can they move on to other things, be in the building, take their physical and move into team activities.”

That means that rookie physicals will likely occur on Wednesday — and these have to happen so the Chiefs can sign all six of their draft picks.

Pelissero has said the Chiefs were one of three teams in the league to have their Infectious Disease Emergency Response (IDER) plan approved by the NFLPA.

This is all happening as the NFL and NFLPA continue to work on an agreement on 2020 training camp and preseason protocols. Chiefs Patrick Mahomes and Tyrann Mathieu, among other top players in the league, have expressed their concern about player safety.

For the time being, players are contractually obligated to show for training camp, and they have been advised to do so by the NFLPA. The reported issues still being discussed are the acclimation period, coronavirus testing and whether or not the league will have any preseason games.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Andy Reid said they may do 10 days of conditioning. Saw a quick tweet of it on espn. Guess they are not feeling safe yet bringing everyone together for walk throughs etc.

Edit: found it.

Even if they aren't on field for regular practice, I'd think the rookies could get benefits from individual drills and coaching.  Gotta see what they have in CEH and Gay as well as the drafted CBs. 

3 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

The Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans open 2020 training camp on Monday by having rookies report to their facilities. Kansas City and Houston open the NFL’s season in September.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero outlined the first day for the Chiefs on this morning’s edition of “Good Morning Football.”

“The first day is literally just a COVID-19 test. They take the test, they go home,” Pelissero said. “They come back to the building on Tuesday, take another COVID-19 test. If they get two negatives (tests) in a row, only then can they move on to other things, be in the building, take their physical and move into team activities.”

That means that rookie physicals will likely occur on Wednesday — and these have to happen so the Chiefs can sign all six of their draft picks.

Pelissero has said the Chiefs were one of three teams in the league to have their Infectious Disease Emergency Response (IDER) plan approved by the NFLPA.

This is all happening as the NFL and NFLPA continue to work on an agreement on 2020 training camp and preseason protocols. Chiefs Patrick Mahomes and Tyrann Mathieu, among other top players in the league, have expressed their concern about player safety.

For the time being, players are contractually obligated to show for training camp, and they have been advised to do so by the NFLPA. The reported issues still being discussed are the acclimation period, coronavirus testing and whether or not the league will have any preseason games.

Sooooo

Come from home and get tested....GO BACK HOME....Come from home and get tested again....Then do they stay or go back home and come in to start Wed if negative test?  Or do they stay in a private room at the stadium tues?  I mean if players go back home after that 2nd test why couldn't they get COVID between Tues and when they come back on Wed?

Just doesn't make sense.

I really just don't see how the game of football can 100% protect against COVID.  I'd suggest either just go at it as normal or call off the season.  Unless they make a bubble or have almost instant testing results whats the point?

2 hours ago, Balto said:

I really just don't see how the game of football can 100% protect against COVID.  I'd suggest either just go at it as normal or call off the season.  Unless they make a bubble or have almost instant testing results whats the point?

They can't avoid all risk, but the danger to the players is mainly that they'll miss a few weeks if infected.  Doubt very many have underlying conditions. 

13 hours ago, Balto said:

They have been playing soccer in Europe for the last 6-7 weeks. They simply test before and after each game and if someone tests positive they sit out and go through some regulations but in terms of safety NFL is much worse. I don't think a 53-man roster is realistic under current circumstances but also some players testing positive (and sitting out) will create a lot of competitive disadvantages based on the player in question.