Alex Smith Cleared to return to Football

KC Warpaint

Great comeback story and should be a great mentor for Haskins.  He is hitting DC Football Team for about $20M this year and I’m sure will be his last year in DC.  I’m glade Smith got a couple good paydays before his injury.  Always saw Smith as a guy you just wish was better because he was such a nice guy!  

Let’s start the campaign now.....2021 Alex Smith gets hired as KCs QB coach!

34 minutes ago, Balto said:

Great comeback story and should be a great mentor for Haskins.  He is hitting DC Football Team for about $20M this year and I’m sure will be his last year in DC.  I’m glade Smith got a couple good paydays before his injury.  Always saw Smith as a guy you just wish was better because he was such a nice guy!  

I really can see Reid bringing him back here. He is oretty loyal to guys he coaches, see Vick as an example. Smith enjoyed it here too which is a plus and they know he has knowledge of not only the game but Reids system.

I think it would be a great thing plus Smith might get a ring with what we have going on here. I say might because it is never a sure thing, but I like our chances.

2 hours ago, Balto said:

I don't think so.  Can you imagine "Pat I TOLD YOU it was dangerous to throw to anyone but the checkdown guy.  Tyrek is standing down there at the goal line and, despite him being unguarded, is only a decoy.  Remember, checkdown guy, checkdown guy, checkdown guy!" 

37 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

I don't think so.  Can you imagine "Pat I TOLD YOU it was dangerous to throw to anyone but the checkdown guy.  Tyrek is standing down there at the goal line and, despite him being unguarded, is only a decoy.  Remember, checkdown guy, checkdown guy, checkdown guy!" 

That's a little harsh.  Smith didn't have the great arm or inclination to take chances deep, but he also didn't have the weapons until Maclin and later Hunt and Hill came along.  Whatever he did in mentoring Mahomes, it was effective.  With Reid here, Smith couldn't ruin Pat's style. 

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

That's a little harsh.  Smith didn't have the great arm or inclination to take chances deep, but he also didn't have the weapons until Maclin and later Hunt and Hill came along.  Whatever he did in mentoring Mahomes, it was effective.  With Reid here, Smith couldn't ruin Pat's style. 

Jet I think he was being sarcastic.. being the sarcastic one.. lol 

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I really can see Reid bringing him back here. He is oretty loyal to guys he coaches, see Vick as an example. Smith enjoyed it here too which is a plus and they know he has knowledge of not only the game but Reids system.

I think it would be a great thing plus Smith might get a ring with what we have going on here. I say might because it is never a sure thing, but I like our chances.

EB gets a heading coaching gig and Kafka moves up to OC and Alex Smith becomes the QB coach?   Seems logical but if Alex worked his butt off this hard to get back I doubt it will be for one year as a back up.  I think he at least tries to play for a couple years and next year would possibly give him an opportunity to start somewhere.   Wish him all the best!

He would make a good backup. Alex suffered from a combination of lack of protection and lack of deep weapons. Add in an average arm. Andy had to call a lot of WR screens and short passing just to try and move the chains. I don’t think a lack of deep passing was Alex’s choice. 
Pat has weapons, can manage pressure and has a freaking rocket arm on the run. 
It’s funny people were on Andy for that offense, but there was nothing else he could do.

13 minutes ago, DieHard said:

He would make a good backup. Alex suffered from a combination of lack of protection and lack of deep weapons. Add in an average arm. Andy had to call a lot of WR screens and short passing just to try and move the chains. I don’t think a lack of deep passing was Alex’s choice. 
Pat has weapons, can manage pressure and has a freaking rocket arm on the run. 
It’s funny people were on Andy for that offense, but there was nothing else he could do.

Well Smith did have Hill, Kelce and Hunt. Not like he lacked weapons. I think the protection was caused by him. He had Morse at center which, when he played, was better than what we have now. Smith would bail on a clean pocket and turtle up. He also did not extend plays that well by keeping his eyes down the field. 

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Well Smith did have Hill, Kelce and Hunt. Not like he lacked weapons. I think the protection was caused by him. He had Morse at center which, when he played, was better than what we have now. Smith would bail on a clean pocket and turtle up. He also did not extend plays that well by keeping his eyes down the field. 

Yeah, Alex Smith is an incredible dude and he helped gets us back to respectability but dude turtled up in a clean pocket all the time.  Only time we saw a mor aggressive Alex was after drafting Mahomes and seeing what a rook was doing in practice.     Wish him the best but if the dude was gun shy before......yikes now.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:58 AM, jetlord said:

I'll admit, it was kind of mean.  To be honest, Alex Smith, for all his faults, was nothing but a class act here. 

Loved the guy but also knew that he would never lead us or another team to the promised land. Still I hope he bounces back completely and has a decent career going forward. Not sure how realistic that is due to age but NFL sure can use some classy guys on the field. 

I’d assume The Washington Football Team will give him lots of preseason work and hope to trade him or let him retire as a backup mentor.

I never question his character. Whatever he wants to do is fine. I just wish he didn’t make watching offensive football unbearable in KC for 5 of 6 years and especially playoff games at home.

An absolutely amazing recovery. Always liked AA as a person. Not so much as our QB. Always played not to lose. 3rd and 10? Throw it 3 yards and hope for a broken tackle. Got to hand it to him though, he may have extracted more money as an average QB in the history of the NFL.

32 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

An absolutely amazing recovery. Always liked AA as a person. Not so much as our QB. Always played not to lose. 3rd and 10? Throw it 3 yards and hope for a broken tackle. Got to hand it to him though, he may have extracted more money as an average QB in the history of the NFL.

agreed but I'd take Drew Lock's career over AA's.. Millions for years holding a clip board and wearing a cap on backwards..man was genius until he signed with Denver.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

agreed but I'd take Drew Lock's career over AA's.. Millions for years holding a clip board and wearing a cap on backwards..man was genius until he signed with Denver.

I assume you mean Chase Daniel? That is the man who has shown you don't have to do anything...ever and get paid a lot in the NFL.

47 minutes ago, timmy_6262 said:

I assume you mean Chase Daniel? That is the man who has shown you don't have to do anything...ever and get paid a lot in the NFL.

my bad.. you are correct..damn my memory is slipping