Several teams in rough cap shape in 2021

Several teams in rough cap shape in 2021

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 25, 2020, 5:59 AM EDT

The NFL salary cap usually grows each year. Next year, it’s expected to shrink. And some teams are going to feel the pinch.

Friday’s agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association guarantees that the salary cap won’t drop any lower than $175 million, but even that represents a significant drop from this year’s $198.2 million cap. Until a few months ago, most teams were expecting the 2021 cap to grow to somewhere in the neighborhood of $215 million, which means teams have $40 million less to spend next year than they were planning for when they were negotiating many of their players’ long-term contracts.

According to OverTheCap.com, eight teams are already over a 2021 cap of $175 million with the players they have signed through next year, before they sign a single free agent next year or draft any rookies. That group includes the Eagles, Saints, Falcons, Chiefs, Steelers, Bears, Raiders and Vikings.

Those teams will have to cut players and restructure contracts just to get under the cap before the start of the league year. Teams cut players and restructure contracts every year, but next year it will prove to be particularly difficult for teams that had a lot of players under long-term contracts that were negotiated before anyone dreamed that a pandemic would cause the cap to plummet.

It’s still possible that the cap won’t shrink as much as everyone expects. New revenue is coming this year from additional playoff games, and the NFL and NFLPA may reach further agreements that keep the cap from dropping as much as expected. But right now, some teams have to be concerned about the salary cap crunch they’re facing in 2021.

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

Eric Fisher...restructure or released if Niang is ready.

Tyrann Mathieu: Serious restructure.

LDT: Retires from football, full time physician.

Frank Clark: Restructure.

Anthony Hitchens: Needs to die.

Who else can give us some notable relief?

Okafor a post June cut

Speaks I think saves 1.5 million

Just now, Lamardirts said:

Okafor a post June cut

Speaks I think saves 1.5 million

I dont consider 1.5 to be notable. And I'm rather tired of people talking about Speaks being released before the guy has had a single snap in an even front in Spags defense.

Veach has a history of giving second chances to early round picks who have not lived up to expectations elsewhere. But for some reason people think he wont extend that same rope to a guy HE moved up and drafted with an early round pick. 

43 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Won’t ever drop to 175.  They will borrow from future years to at least keep it at 198.    Stinks either way but unless we don’t have a season I seriously doubt they drop the cap from the current amount.

Gotta agree I think it’s 90% chance to stay flat.

51 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Eric Fisher...restructure or released/traded if Niang is ready.

Sammy watkins either won’t be here or will be at a 7 to 8 mil a year less cap hit

There could be a lot of restructuring, especially if the Chiefs are SB contenders again.  Not sure how long they can kick the can down the road, but keeping the window open for two more years will be a priority.  Jackson wants to be paid.  Dak wants to be paid.  Watson wants to be paid.  The league may have to negotiate some system to keep stars on their teams without gutting core players. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

There could be a lot of restructuring, especially if the Chiefs are SB contenders again.  Not sure how long they can kick the can down the road, but keeping the window open for two more years will be a priority.  Jackson wants to be paid.  Dak wants to be paid.  Watson wants to be paid.  The league may have to negotiate some system to keep stars on their teams without gutting core players. 

Could just have QB clause we’re maybe any money over the “franchise tag” number doesn’t hit a teams cap?

Or put in a NBA type Birds rights rule were anyone we draft or has been on that team for at least 4 years can resign for a huge contract and will be allowed to push a team over the salary cap if so.  Would make drafting or retaining guys even more important.

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

eric berry still on the books for one more season i believe

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yikes. Needs to die

Via sports trac.

2021 Dead Cap

These cap figures derive from the trade or release of players from the active roster or practice squad. All count toward the team total.

PLAYER (1)
POS.
BASE SALARY
SIGNING BONUS
ROSTER BONUS
OPTION BONUS
WORKOUT BONUS
RESTRUC. BONUS
MISC.
DEAD CAP
CAP HIT
CAP %
Dead Money:   - $1,668 - - -
Felton Davis WR - $1,668 - - - - - - $1,668 0.00

11 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Lunacy.

13 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont consider 1.5 to be notable. And I'm rather tired of people talking about Speaks being released before the guy has had a single snap in an even front in Spags defense.

Veach has a history of giving second chances to early round picks who have not lived up to expectations elsewhere. But for some reason people think he wont extend that same rope to a guy HE moved up and drafted with an early round pick. 

And 1.5 million is definitely less than 1 million in saved cap space as it simply pushes some lame contract to the mix. Definitely not worth giving up on a 2nd rounder unless Spags thinks he's trash.

7 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What is?

Oh you are wondering whether I was referring to releasing Fisher or murdering Hitches. Clark and HB are only one year into their contracts. Might be a bit early to kick the can. As me we don’t even know if Niang can play G. I doubt the organization will trust him to protect the half a billion dollar man at LT.