Several teams in rough cap shape in 2021

15 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

eric berry still on the books for one more season i believe

He should be on the books only for this year. No 2021 cap for him.

Realistically I can see HB signing an extension next year as he'll have only a year left in his deal so could save some double digit figures. LDT will likely retire and become a full time doctor, don't know about his dead money. The rest are here to stay IMO unless some injuries occur. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Realistically I can see HB signing an extension next year as he'll have only a year left in his deal so could save some double digit figures. LDT will likely retire and become a full time doctor, don't know about his dead money. The rest are here to stay IMO unless some injuries occur. 

right, this year will be the last for that dead money

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

As me we don’t even know if Niang can play G. I doubt the organization will trust him to protect the half a billion dollar man at LT.

Why? Because he wasn't drafted high enough? I mean he's played RT at an elite level. He literally didn't give up a sack as a starter at TCU. None. I dont think its that far fetched to think the guy could be a good LT. 

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Why? Because he wasn't drafted high enough? I mean he's played RT at an elite level. He literally didn't give up a sack as a starter at TCU. None. I dont think its that far fetched to think the guy could be a good LT. 

I am not saying he couldn’t. I am saying that a lot of guys get drafted but not a lot turn into stud LTs. Even first rounders are hit or miss. He may be great, but he may just be a guard as well.

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Kansas City still has $8 million on the books in 2020 for Berry’s contract.

If the Chiefs weren’t paying for Berry, they would have less than $175,000 in dead cap for players like Tremon Smith, Kahlil McKenzie, Kyle Shurmur, Byron Pringle, Cody Thompson and Jack Fox. With some more cap casualties likely in the coming weeks leading up to he 2020 free agency period, the Chiefs could end up in the No. 2 spot with relative ease. If they decide to move on from receiver Sammy Watkins, they’ll be on the hook for $7 million in dead cap space.

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

I am not saying he couldn’t. I am saying that a lot of guys get drafted but not a lot turn into stud LTs. Even first rounders are hit or miss. He may be great, but he may just be a guard as well.

Well as long as he starts somewhere. Its nice to see them invest a pick on the line in the first 2 days. They havent done much of that here during Reids tenure. 

20 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Well as long as he starts somewhere. Its nice to see them invest a pick on the line in the first 2 days. They havent done much of that here during Reids tenure. 

I am hoping he becomes a productive LG and then maybe 3 years in slides to LT. sooner seems unlikely. But who knows.

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

I am hoping he becomes a productive LG and then maybe 3 years in slides to LT. sooner seems unlikely. But who knows.

Never know about any draft pick, but Niang would have gone higher if he hadn't been injured last season and wasn't on the big stage for much of the year.  Also, there's a question of whether he has fully recovered yet.  His odds of becoming a starter at OT are pretty good for a third round pick. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Never know about any draft pick, but Niang would have gone higher if he hadn't been injured last season and wasn't on the big stage for much of the year.  Also, there's a question of whether he has fully recovered yet.  His odds of becoming a starter at OT are pretty good for a third round pick. 

Good to hear. Let’s not rush it. Don’t want another Cam Erving protecting the franchise player.

6 hours ago, DieHard said:

I disagree. I think he will replace Fisher next year. Now that we've signed Osemele he has a yr to be groomed. Moving on from Fisher frees up 11 million. Thats huge for a cap strapped team.

24 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I disagree. I think he will replace Fisher next year. Now that we've signed Osemele he has a yr to be groomed. Moving on from Fisher frees up 11 million. Thats huge for a cap strapped team.

Well let’s see if he can even play first. I am all for saving money, but you gots to Show Me.

44 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Well let’s see if he can even play first. I am all for saving money, but you gots to Show Me.

Agreed. Be sure he can play on the left side in the nfl first. Hell, maybe he stays at RT and we have him move in there in a couple years.

Chase Young said that Niang made him realize that he need more that athletic ability to succeed.   I think Niang has a very good chance of replacing one of our bookends as early as next year if needed but I love the fact we are already looking ahead to replace the two good tackles we have.   He’s in a perfect situation here as he can be our swing tackle, heal up and learn as he goes.

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It's definitely a possibility depending on his development and risky cap situation of 2021 but too early for such predictions IMO. There have been guys groomed for bookend roles in the past that ended up staying on the inside for good.