Damien Williams opts out..

21 minutes ago, mex said:

Not sure about that, as SF had the ball after the TD and ran a few plays before the INT... and then it took us all four plays and a deep ball to run out the clock. 

That TD was sweet... and enabled all of us to relax and enjoy the last few minutes of the game knowing it was over.

No, it's true.  He scored with 1:20 left, SF had two time outs.  If he gets the first KC can run out the clock---SF needs to use one TO immediately and it's still 1st down for KC.  So we would have gone into victory formation and you would have been able to relax.  The reason we couldn't do that on our final possession (when Mahomes ran around before his kneels and launched the final incompletion) is because we got the ball back, time already stopped on 1st, with 0:57 and SF still had both TOs.

But with Williams' score SF has at least the sliver of hope that they get a quick score, onside kick, and another score.  That's a better chance for them than getting a fumble recovery while we're in victory formation, so technically Williams made the wrong play, if only by a tiny fraction of win probability.

But...totally agreed it was more awesome and memorable the way that it played out.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes I know. Im not dissing him for opting out. Im stating that Clyde will be the man with Thompson and others going forward. I dont think KC needs him a season from now. They used their number one pick for a reason.

Yeah , it was good timing for sure. Odd timing if anything now that Williams has opted out. 

3 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes and yet Hunt was a star day one. Im glad Clyde gets to play NOW & not wait. The other backs are as good as Williams. 

You very well may be right, I'd just prefer to have some competent depth behind CEH since we were a shit show behind Williams  already last year.

7 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

You very well may be right, I'd just prefer to have some competent depth behind CEH since we were a shit show behind Williams  already last year.

Thompson and Andre Washington(who has experience) behind him is fine for now. There might be a rb we pick up off waivers too.

51 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Scoring was the icing on the cake. Not even Andy Reid clock management and past curses was going to let the 49ers recover. Sometimes you just need to score. A fumbled snap, stupid penalty, or who knows what was still possible.

So if you're SF which do you pick... down by four hoping the Chiefs fumble from victory formation (up to three snaps), or down by 11, ball back, 1:20 left, two timeouts?

Pretty clearly you want the second one, which is why scoring was technically the wrong move. 

There won't be much of a drop off at RB IMHO.  Darrel is okay and a good blocker. CEH is an upgrade over Damien after he get a little experience.  Thompson and Washington can fill in if heeded.  It's not like the team lost OJ or The Bus.  Damien saw the writing on the wall and did what he thought best.  I doubt we'll ever see him in a Chiefs uniform again. 

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

There won't be much of a drop off at RB IMHO.  Darrel is okay and a good blocker. CEH is an upgrade over Damien after he get a little experience.  Thompson and Washington can fill in if heeded.  It's not like the team lost OJ or The Bus.  Damien saw the writing on the wall and did what he thought best.  I doubt we'll ever see him in a Chiefs uniform again. 

I think CEH is an upgrade over Damien pretty much as soon as he gets his jock strap on. 

2 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Well...its not like Reid remembers we have a running game 80% of the time. Guess we will be fine after all 

Clyde will open things up for Kelce in the middle and may actually look for the Pass unlike Williams. I could see Clyde split out or in the slot often. He is more than an RB.

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Why would he not have TC? He's already reported along with all other rookies and vets.

Rookies already missed a lot of time this year and his first snap against a real player will come in regular season. I'm also skeptical about how real the TC will be this year. Williams was no star but he did well in the clutch and would be a nice insurance policy. 

Yeah I’m not convinced about Darwin either.   Darrel is our bigger back with above avg hands for that kind of back and I think Washington could easily be what Damien Williams was and we have a couple other guys on the roster with decent upside for the that 4th spot.   With that said good solid depth is good to have and Damien is pretty clutch so that does hurt a little.  

1 hour ago, mex said:

may he help his mom beat the ugly scourge of cancer

and may he return to the game he loves and thrive

but please not in the afc west

Who knows.  @ 2 mil cap savings and a half mil cap hit if we release him next year.  we may need that $ depending on the cap.  Otoh, only 2.5 mil to keep him next year.  

But yeah, if we cut him I hope he goes to the NFC.  Yeah he has trouble staying healthy but in the right game, when he is healthy, he is capable of tearing it up.  As we have seen.

21 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I think its a big loss. Relying on a rookie is not good.

If they are relying on a rookie, then running back is the place to do it.  Rookie RBs seem to be more successful than at most positions.  The only question is can they pass protect.  If CEH can do that, the Chiefs lose very little by not having Damien.