Thornhill and Rankin to PUP

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

Not a surprise about Thornhill.  It can take up to a year to recover from his injury and it's only been seven months or so.  Reports are that he is running full speed but that doesn't mean he's ready to play.  No need to rush. 

Exactly, we don’t need another Houston situation on our hands.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

Hate to lose him for 6 games but better than bringing him back too quick. Razor thin at safety. Don’t know if we can run the 3 safety sets that Spags likes so much. Big ouch.

dirty dan filled in last year ok... but you're right we're super thin back there

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Just because Thornhill is on PUP for now doesn't mean they can't bring him back.  Somewhere, I read that the rules are different this season. 

I think pup is the same.  You can reactivate them to start the season, but if you don't then they can't practice for 6 weeks.

3 hours ago, xen said:

I think pup is the same.  You can reactivate them to start the season, but if you don't then they can't practice for 6 weeks.

Okay.  Can Thornhill still attend meetings, do walk throughs, and do conditioning while on PUP?  I can see not doing contact drills but the rest seems harmless.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Okay.  Can Thornhill still attend meetings, do walk throughs, and do conditioning while on PUP?  I can see not doing contact drills but the rest seems harmless.

Meetings, conditioning and rehab yes.  They can use all team training facilities.  Walkthroughs are practices so that's right out.  You have to assign players to the pup before they practice even once though, as PUP is only for players hurt due to football related activities prior to camp.  If they practice or play in a game they're ineligible and you have to use the IR designation instead.

1 minute ago, xen said:

Meetings, conditioning and rehab yes.  They can use all team training facilities.  Walkthroughs are practices so that's right out.  You have to assign players to the pup before they practice even once though, as PUP is only for players hurt due to football related activities prior to camp.  If they practice or play in a game they're ineligible and you have to use the IR designation instead.

you're a regular encyclopedia of nfl eligibility rules