Niang Opts Out

Chiefs third-round OT Lucas Niang has opted out of the 2020 season.

Viewed as a potential replacement for Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Niang (6’6/315) will instead join the latter in voluntarily stepping away. He'll return fresh in 2021 following hip surgery that kept him out of the Horned Frogs' final five games of 2019, as well as the 2020 Senior Bowl and entire draft process. Veteran Mike Remmers and second-year OL Nick Allegretti remain the favorites to step in for LDT.

This is very surprising. Its nearly impossible to get upset about a player making a decision like this with whats going on, but this is a real bummer.

Our likely swing tackle now has to be replaced, and he is gonna be no more prepared to win a starting job next year than he is now. He won't be any more acclimated to the speed of the game than he is today.

And what rookie player thats about to realize a lifelong dream on a SB roster, doesn't have the hunger and desire to play year one?

4 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Had high hopes for him but definitely a weird move. Does he even have the money to live on for a year? 

I mean I'm not mad, but to me this shows a lack of drive and love for the game. I might be way off base, but a rookie making this decision, is like calling in sick the first day of a new job.

8 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I mean I'm not mad, but to me this shows a lack of drive and love for the game. I might be way off base, but a rookie making this decision, is like calling in sick the first day of a new job.

Unless he has a medical condition we are not aware of yet it's a very weird move. I don't know if he sticks around but we could learn some details perhaps. 

17 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agreed.  That's a strange thing to do for someone just drafted into the NFL. 

I guess the only plus side is this basically turns his 4 year rookie deal into a 5 year deal.  Just wonder what if any contact with the team he can have?  Do opt out players have to stay away completely?

We don’t know his situation.   He might have family situations like Damien Williams.   To me I see it as a plus.  He gets healthy, learns our play book and we get another year on his rookie deal.  He wasn’t playing tackle this year anyways barring an injury.   Now we get a 5th year in essence .    Wish him the best.

9 minutes ago, Balto said:

He should still get the $150k or $350k depending on reason.  I hope he can live on that

Has he even signed a contract? Seems strange to opt out if you are not under contract. Sure puts a wrench in the cut Fisher and start him at LT next year plan my friend.

2 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Has he even signed a contract? Seems strange to opt out if you are not under contract. Sure puts a wrench in the cut Fisher and start him at LT next year plan my friend.

Yes he signed his rookie contract and was to make about $600k base salary this year.

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Oh and the plan is to trade Fisher not cut him.  I'll start sending you private messages with trade ideas!   MUAHAHA

He may have a condition we dont know of. He also may have reasons to do so as it helps the team. He can heal up, get stronger with advice, learn the book and plays while not having to go be stashed on pup or IR. This also opens a spot up on our roster for us to fill with any other rookies or vets out there due to cuts.

If he is not healthy to play them this helps us in the short term and does not burn a year of his contract? If so it works for all involved and can be seen as a genius move, a loophole of sorts.

Injuries are the reason he dropped as far as he did in the draft.  He may need another year for that alone.  Plus you don't know if he has any other medical conditions, family issues, etc.  Pretty ridiculous to question his drive without knowing more information, and even then someone having concerns (whether or not you agree that they're justified) doesn't mean that he doesn't love football and won't commit fully once we're hopefully past all of this.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

Unless he has a medical condition we are not aware of yet it's a very weird move. I don't know if he sticks around but we could learn some details perhaps. 

He'll return fresh in 2021 following hip surgery that kept him out of the Horned Frogs' final five games of 2019, as well as the 2020 Senior Bowl and entire draft process.

maybe he is still feeling pain or something else....none of us know

21 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

maybe he is still feeling pain or something else....none of us know

I don't think him opting out is based on passed football injury.  If so why not stay and collect a check 3 times as much and rehab at the stadium?

43 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

That's the question I was just getting ready to ask. It would be nice if he could sit in on all the meetings.

It seems like if you are opting out for COVID safety then you should not be a practice and team meetings.  But I'm not sure what the actual rule is.