Okafor Restructures: Interesting Details ?

Chiefs restructured DE Alex Okafor's contract.

Initially due $15.1 million over the next two seasons (and $7.9 million in 2020), Okafor's restructured deal includes a max of $4.96 million this upcoming year and allows him to walk as a free agent next March. He'll also receive $860,000 in per-game roster bonuses and another $2 million in incentives. A rotational player for the Chiefs, Okafor will continue to work behind Frank Clark in the team's season opener.

The purge has begun or at least the trimming of the roster in case of a big cap cut.   Great restructure!  Probably was told he would be cut so he reworked this year to get out of next years.   I think he was still a 2 million dead money hit as a post June 1st cut next year.  Unless I’m missing something that was a good shrewd move.

14 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

The purge has begun or at least the trimming of the roster in case of a big cap cut.   Great restructure!  Probably was told he would be cut so he reworked this year to get out of next years.   I think he was still a 2 million dead money hit as a post June 1st cut next year.  Unless I’m missing something that was a good shrewd move.

Yup doesn't really matter for us on a cut.  $6M this year and $2M next.

This move does make the dead money hit go down a couple million on a trade though....hmmm

Veach:  Hey Alex we are looking to make a big splash in a trade and the other team would like you in return but we are still a couple million away in money to make it work.

Alex and his agent:  How about we restructure, taking a couple million from the cap hit BUT allows us to only be a 1 year rental to the new team instead of two years?

Veach:  Perfect! 

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think it's more of Okafor investing in himself. He can become a FA next year but doesn't give info about his guarantees if he stays. 

From the numbers Pelissero has reported, it would appear that the roster bonus has been increased by around $700,000 — but restructured to be paid on a per-game basis. Since Okafor missed six games of last season with an injury, at least some of that roster bonus would be considered not-likely-to-be-earned (NLTBE) in 2020, meaning that if paid, it will count against the team’s 2021 salary cap. It’s likely that the $2 million in other incentives are also NLTBE in 2020.

What’s more interesting is that Okafor was previously under contract for 2021. If Pelissero’s reporting is correct, the Chiefs and Okafor have agreed that he will not play for the team after 2020. This suggests pretty strongly that next season — if not this season — Tanoh Kpassagnon, Taco Charlton and Breeland Speaks all have an improved chance to start across from Frank Clark on the Chiefs’ defensive line.

56 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

From the numbers Pelissero has reported, it would appear that the roster bonus has been increased by around $700,000 — but restructured to be paid on a per-game basis. Since Okafor missed six games of last season with an injury, at least some of that roster bonus would be considered not-likely-to-be-earned (NLTBE) in 2020, meaning that if paid, it will count against the team’s 2021 salary cap. It’s likely that the $2 million in other incentives are also NLTBE in 2020.

What’s more interesting is that Okafor was previously under contract for 2021. If Pelissero’s reporting is correct, the Chiefs and Okafor have agreed that he will not play for the team after 2020. This suggests pretty strongly that next season — if not this season — Tanoh Kpassagnon, Taco Charlton and Breeland Speaks all have an improved chance to start across from Frank Clark on the Chiefs’ defensive line.

TACO TUESDAY 

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think it's more of Okafor investing in himself. He can become a FA next year but doesn't give info about his guarantees if he stays. 

Big time risk imo.  He needs to have 8-10 sacks for him to even sniff 8 plus million which he already basically had and that has to come as a rotational player.  Kpass is coming on strong and Taco also has something to prove.  Glad it got done but seems risky if he was investing in himself.   

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Big time risk imo.  He needs to have 8-10 sacks for him to even sniff 8 plus million which he already basically had and that has to come as a rotational player.  Kpass is coming on strong and Taco also has something to prove.  Glad it got done but seems risky if he was investing in himself.   

Definitely risky for him but looks good for us if Kpass or Speaks can carve out a big role. We have some solid rotation there. Also Okafor is 29 so he could be hoping for a big deal before the critical age.

I think Kpass can play most downs.  None of us know what Speaks can do.  With Taco thrown into the mix, the Chiefs will do fine without Okafor next year.  Not sure how the fifth rounder this year will fit in.  Dana seemed like a wasted pick to me, but Spags must have liked his potential.