Is this the year to trade away picks?

With a couple college conferences already cancelling the season and with others probably to come does this heavily impact scouting and draft picks?

Its already a crap shoot and with zero tape this year it’s gonna be even harder.

So maybe it’s smarter for Veach to send our 1st rounder and maybe more away to get proven players and not gamble on later round picks.

Thoughts?

The Chiefs should accumulate picks, IMHO.  Cap space will be an issue for as far out as we can see and the only remedy is to have a maximum of starters on rookie contracts.  I think the Chiefs should just plan on losing some regular players in free agency and hopefully get 3rd and 4th round picks as compensation.  There probably won't be many opportunities to trade players for picks except on the D-line if Speaks play well.  It's not just Kelce and Ward that will want to be paid soon,  In two/three years it will be Nnadi, Thornhill, and Hardman.  The Chiefs have to draft well, release popular players, and find a few diamonds in the rough if they are to be a powerhouse for the next decade.  Throw in a few one year ring seekers to fill the holes. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

Don't think I would trade picks for players however I would heavily consider any trade offers for 2021 picks getting back 2022 picks, c,onsidering the possibility of not much evaluation being able to be done this next offseason on some prospects.

Interesting point.  Don't the NFL scouts compile much of their evaluation before the senior year of many players?  Guys like Niang or Gay had their college careers cut short but still were considered prospects.  Losing the B1G and Pac 10 seasons, among others, might not really hurt scouting so much considering the combine and pro days.  On the other hand, where would Burrow have been drafted without his senior season?  Just hope the Chiefs scouting is ahead of the rest on early evaluations. 

26 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs and Veach are as good as any top drafting team. Even without as much tape they have an advantage. KC needs to accumulate picks based on their stars already locked into big long term contracts. 

Yes and having to avoid QB? DE, DT, S, RB and WR as must picks now we can go after the OL, LB and CB in the draft.

18 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

We have the most expensive player in the NFL on our roster. Stockpiling and nailing draft picks is gonna be the name of the game for this team for the foreseeable future.

Exactly... cap strapped veteran team. Need cheap replacement talent as much as possible. 

15 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Yes and having to avoid QB? DE, DT, S, RB and WR as must picks now we can go after the OL, LB and CB in the draft.

I don't think we can necessarily avoid any position except for a high QB.  We'll need players at most of those positions.  We have 3 defensive ends set to be FA's next year for example.  S depth needs work.  Sammy is an FA in 2021 as is D.Rob.  Pennel is on a 1 yr.  

But yeah, we sure do need corners and moar faster LBs.

3 hours ago, xen said:

I don't think we can necessarily avoid any position except for a high QB.  We'll need players at most of those positions.  We have 3 defensive ends set to be FA's next year for example.  S depth needs work.  Sammy is an FA in 2021 as is D.Rob.  Pennel is on a 1 yr.  

But yeah, we sure do need corners and moar faster LBs.

Maybe the word avoid was not what I was trying to convey. More like we dont have a big time need at those positions now. Where we can focus in the other positions as we are pretty well set up at these. We are more set at them then the others for more or less 'glaring' needs etc.

Pennell is a 1 year but we have depth behind him as an example woth Saunders and even Nnadi who i believe is the starter. Pennell is the depth type pick up we can get in another vet down the road.

So maybe not avoid but we have the luxury to wait if in position to do so while drafting and getting other positions if it comes down to a tie between players and who they like.  I mean if BPA is a DE by far, then go DE.

Aside from Ward, maybe, is their any potential FA that the Chiefs really need to sign after this season?  I think more draft choices is the only way to keep the team on top.  They have to fill around the top eight core players with rookie contracts and one year deals. 

MEh I'd say this is the year t o go all out in winning back to back Super Bowls with other teams not able to get a full camp in and how upside down this year will be.  

I 100% agree that going forward draft picks will be like GOLD for our team BUT for the 2021 draft and how we can go all out on this season I say look at bringing in a CB, LB or OL even if it means giving up a 1st or 2nd.

I'd LOVE to see Veach trade for a cheaper upgrade that a team may want a 2nd or 3rd for but give up our 1st instead and gain a early 2022 pick from it:

Team with CB upgrade gets:

Chiefs 2021 1st

Chiefs get:

CB upgrade

2022 2nd rounder

Something like this would be GREAT!

Go all out to win back to back championship undermines the idea that this team could be set up to be the leagues next dynasty.

I cant believe even now that we've got a ring you are still pushing all your chips in. We don't have to think that way anymore. I want this team to be just as likely to win a title in 2025 as they are this year. 

9 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Go all out to win back to back championship undermines the idea that this team could be set up to be the leagues next dynasty.

I cant believe even now that we've got a ring you are still pushing all your chips in. We don't have to think that way anymore. I want this team to be just as likely to win a title in 2025 as they are this year. 

Veach has made long term and short term deals this year.  I think winning again is just as important as longevity to him atm.  Thus getting a upgrade to put us over the top makes sense

13 hours ago, Balto said:

Veach has made long term and short term deals this year.  I think winning again is just as important as longevity to him atm.  Thus getting a upgrade to put us over the top makes sense

Is there really an affordable upgrade out there that will increase the Chiefs' chances for a repeat that much?  Veach has to keep one eye on the possible $175 million cap for next season and the top players are already signed and taking up most of that.  Any additions have to come cheap so I'm thinking the Chiefs only make a move after the cuts early next month.  Of course, Veach is full of surprises. 

We are already set up to win it again and again in 2021.   The only way you trade a 1st or 2nd is if its for a young guy like Minkah Fitzpatrick with like 2-3 years left on a rookie deal that is a significant upgrade at a position of need a la CB or LB.   

I think Veach and Andy Reid along with Mahomes picked out the guys they want to build this dynasty around and they locked them up and paid them well.  Now it's time to develop the guys around those pillars.   We have the staff to do that and Veach is creative enough to constantly be churning the bottom of this roster for gems.   You also have to have draft picks to do that.  Trading them away will severerly handicap this team in the future.   There will be injuries and contract misses and we need those picks to fill in the gaps.   Next years picks will be huge and yes it will be an odd draft but the best front offices will succeed and thrive and possibly give us a leg up over the competition.    Winning back to back is really special and imo a must if this team is going to be considered one day one of the best/greatest franchises but the other must is multiple titles.   We don't have to sell the farm to win it this year.  We are already so much better than last year.   Almost everyone is back, year 2 for the defense and we infused quite a bit of talent and athleticism on both sides.    

Develop these young guys and then trade them off or let them walk and we stock up on picks so we can keep doing this for the next decade!    

We have 200 million in cap liabilities for 2021 and probably won't carry more than 10 million over. Unless the cap goes up we'll actually be restructuring contracts and cutting people to even make it to the cap. Even though Chiefs have very small number of 30+ players we still won't be able to keep everyone around and if the 30+ guys are added to the mix there'll be major need to replace them with rookie deals.

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

We have 200 million in cap liabilities for 2021 and probably won't carry more than 10 million over. Unless the cap goes up we'll actually be restructuring contracts and cutting people to even make it to the cap. Even though Chiefs have very small number of 30+ players we still won't be able to keep everyone around and if the 30+ guys are added to the mix there'll be major need to replace them with rookie deals.

That’s a good point.  Gonna need quite a few rookies just to fill in for depth next year.  I do think this will effect a lot of teams though and you will see a lot of players that want to play take the vet min.  This could also reset some contracts which could be helpful getting in some one year guys who will wait until the cap goes back up hopefully the following year.