Preseason--This may have been discussed

Over the years I've seen quite a bit of guys that do pretty well in the preseason to be left out of the final roster in favor of those that didn't show half as much. So I think the camp itself may be the bigger indicator but the preseason games probably have some role (may be major?) in the final decision as well.

Waters was a UDFA with Dallas, then signed with the CHiefs, got sent to Germany, came back an excelled.

and Holmes was a UDFA of the Ravens who after 4 years signed with the Chiefs as FA, then went on to excel in Al Saunders offense as a the featured back.

So in both cases, the lack of a training camp would affect them but not necessarily with the Chiefs

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Over the years I've seen quite a bit of guys that do pretty well in the preseason to be left out of the final roster in favor of those that didn't show half as much. So I think the camp itself may be the bigger indicator but the preseason games probably have some role (may be major?) in the final decision as well.

I remember watching the film about Terrell Davis and how 1 hit on a punt coverage team (he blew the guy up bigly) earned him a roster spot.

15 hours ago, reesebobby said:

With no actual preseason games would undrafted guys like Brian Waters, Deron Cherry, Priest Holmes etc. have had the same chance to make the roster?  Are they able to evaluate enough in training camp to make those kinds of decisions?  

Our former guard Geoff Schwartz. blogged about this a few weeks back  Too sum up the lack of offseason program and preseason is going to cost a lot of the late round or UDFAs jobs short term. Just no way around it with so little time to prepare. It’s likely going to effect the impact of a lot of rookies period. Meanwhile we’ve got a rookie RB running with the first team. So clearly they are trying all they can to get him up to speed. Sounds like they are limiting the role of W Gay this year or for now. 

6 hours ago, SEMO said:

Some guys that would have made the team out of camp in a normal year are screwed.  However, beyond camp, the expansion of the practice squads will give teams more time to look at some of these guys.

Agree.  Expanding the practice squads will save a few late draft picks and UDFAs chances to impress the coaches.  Also, the higher number of soft tissue injuries from the summer off will make opportunities for some second tier players to flash. 

16 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I think there will be a lot of injuries this year. 

That's why I think TC very critical this year. Most vets probably worked out with their people over the pandemic but the real conditioning happened during camp. Teams that do a better job of it will definitely benefit during the season but nevertheless the injuries will definitely go up. Not to mention an extra pro game means another game to get injured.