Should KC Sign Earl Thomas? Just Released.

Ravens released FS Earl Thomas.

The release comes with a conduct detrimental to the team clause. The Ravens will take a $15 million cap hit to move on from Thomas. That could jump to $25 million if Thomas wins a grievance. Thomas remained one of the better safeties in the league last year, but his off-field baggage could limit his free-agent suitors. DeShon Elliott is expected to replace Thomas opposite Chuck Clark. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Cowboys are the frontrunners to sign Thomas. Houston and the 49ers have also been linked as possible landing spots.

5 minutes ago, xen said:

Seriously?

Yes. Its worth a conversation. He will sign somewhere and likely on a prove it, short leash, cheap contract. Why not KC take a very limited , low risk, chance? Maybe he will shut it and get to work? Would free up HB and allow Thornhill plenty of time to be 100%.

35 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes. Its worth a conversation. He will sign somewhere and likely on a prove it, short leash, cheap contract. Why not KC take a very limited , low risk, chance? Maybe he will shut it and get to work? Would free up HB and allow Thornhill plenty of time to be 100%.

no its not. he's washed up and the best non get the Chiefs didn't get .. Cant take the spots off the leopard  he showed his character as he was getting hauled off the field.. Chiefs dont need his kind.. 

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

no its not. he's washed up and the best non get the Chiefs didn't get .. Cant take the spots off the leopard  he showed his character as he was getting hauled off the field.. Chiefs dont need his kind.. 

Nothing in his performance hints he is washed up. Problematic personality Yes. The Chiefs are a great team no doubt. Fact: Ward and Fenton were burned on that overthrow by Garappalo. Had that pass been completed, most here would be screaming for help. The playoffs and some breaks went the Chiefs way, for once. KC is not head and shoulders better than Balt or many other very good NFL teams. Someone will sign this guy on the cheap. Cheap deal=no risk. Chiefs have good leadership that will not tolerate any BS.

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Nothing in his performance hints he is washed up. Problematic personality Yes. The Chiefs are a great team no doubt. Fact: Ward and Fenton were burned on that overthrow by Garappalo. Had that pass been completed, most here would be screaming for help. The playoffs and some breaks went the Chiefs way, for once. KC is not head and shoulders better than Balt or many other very good NFL teams. Someone will sign this guy on the cheap. Cheap deal=no risk. Chiefs have good leadership that will not tolerate any BS.

Thomas doesn't put us head and shoulders better either.  So he is not worth the personality risk.  

Hard pass! 

Just last offseason, the Chiefs actually believed they had a deal with Earl Thomas worked out. As the safety himself described the events, it was a short-term deal with the parameters essentially in place before Baltimore came in and shocked everyone with an aforementioned deal of that scope.

It’s hard to believe the Chiefs would so easily dismiss the idea of adding Earl Thomas at this stage. That’s not to say that they are going to sign him, but the Chiefs already likely have a mountain of homework on Thomas—his abilities as a player at this stage in his career, what his coaches and teammates say about him personally, what he’s like in the locker room and in the community. This latest incident would mar some of that, but they were comfortable enough to sign him before after vetting him all the same.

As for a fit right now, Thomas made a lot more sense before the team signed Tyrann Mathieu and drafted Juan Thornhill. When a “week to week” Eric Berry and an aging Ron Parker are your starting options, Earl Thomas looks like an unearthed diamond. Now the Chiefs have young depth who’ve proven capable of winning a championship together. Where does Thomas fall into that mix?

What if the Chiefs like what they hear from others? What if Thomas has a legitimate side of his own story? What if the Ravens were just a bad fit? What if Thomas is willing to come into town on a one-year contract? What if Thomas is motivated to behave like a saint in order to hit the free agent market next spring?

These are all legitimate questions that make it difficult to believe there’s an easy answer to whether or not the Chiefs should bring in Thomas.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2020/08/23/chiefs-make-play-earl-thomas/

41 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Thomas doesn't put us head and shoulders better either.  So he is not worth the personality risk.  

Hard pass! 

agreed and AA's opinion piece is just that.. their opinion is no more valid than any opinion on here.  Being there is no football  times are slow.. AA like most publications are just throwing shit on the wall hoping it sticks

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Well if Baltimore thought he was so good then why not keep him? They are after all trying to beat the Chiefs. This thought process would put them further back?

12 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well if Baltimore thought he was si good then why not keep him? They are after all trying to beat the Chiefs. This thought process would put them further back?

Two different issues. Balt is eating big bucks and he was not a good fit. IF KC could invest few bucks , one year prove  it, and if he is not a good fit BYE BYE. Im sure Balt knows their defense is not as good without him. IM sure Pitts and Cleve are thrilled. Somebody will sign this guy and he  may be on a mission. NO real risk high reward.

32 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Two different issues. Balt is eating big bucks and he was not a good fit. IF KC could invest few bucks , one year prove  it, and if he is not a good fit BYE BYE. Im sure Balt knows their defense is not as good without him. IM sure Pitts and Cleve are thrilled. Somebody will sign this guy and he  may be on a mission. NO real risk high reward.

Funny, one would think they would know if he is a good fit or not before signing him to a 3 year deal. They just got lucky to use this as an excuse. I am sure he will fight it and still get some money from them. If he can give us a 1 year deal and still has something left I am fine with it.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Funny, one would think they would know if he is a good fit or not before signing him to a 3 year deal. They just got lucky to use this as an excuse. I am sure he will fight it and still get some money from them. If he can give us a 1 year deal and still has something left I am fine with it.

Exactly and remember KC was ready to sign him then as well. There are two sides to every story. Chiefs culture could be a great fit?

Count me as a decisive "NO". The Ravens didn't even bother to try and trade him. They just outright released him. What does that say? Two respected coaches and organization's didn't want to deal with his crap. Don't need him... don't want him. Let him be the Cowboys' headache cuz that is probably where he winds up. 

27 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Count me as a decisive "NO". The Ravens didn't even bother to try and trade him. They just outright released him. What does that say? Two respected coaches and organization's didn't want to deal with his crap. Don't need him... don't want him. Let him be the Cowboys' headache cuz that is probably where he winds up. 

FYI....Ravens did try to deal him but he has a 10 million salary. Most teams knew he was going to be released. Like I have said if he becomes a slight headache you cut him.

Low risk high reward

Dammit I wish he could play corner and I’d be all for it!

I do think his skills fit well with HB’s.  HB is elite more near the box while Earl is elite(at least he was) at open field staying back.  Problem is Thornhill looked great as a rookie and I do not want his growth delayed for old man Earl Thomas.  Would be all for Earl being our nickel/dime guy but I don’t see him wanting that roll.

usually I’m the type that falls in love with bringing in older elite guys almost past their prime for dirt cheap hahaha....even trading for them!  Sadly unless it’s dirt dirt cheap contract and he is ok with passing down role then I just don’t see it.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

FYI....Ravens did try to deal him but he has a 10 million salary. Most teams knew he was going to be released. Like I have said if he becomes a slight headache you cut him.

Low risk high reward

I actually don’t think he will accept a low contract and will wait for the money when a team has injuries.

Isn't Thornhill practicing again? The kid is a future pro bowler and played outstanding football last year for a rookie starter. Why would we make a move to block him?

I mean I guess we could roll with more 3 safety looks, but if the Chiefs were gonna sign some vet help in the secondary I'd hope it would be at CB not FS.

Dallas has had a hard on for him for years. He will be a cowboy by Wednesday. And a SB contender cutting him less 3 weeks before the starts is a bad look for him. 

4 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Low risk high reward

True. The new team would have to take on his contract...possibly restructure...if he had been traded. 

Business move.  He can still play but he is declining.  They gave him 4 /55.  This gave them a way to get out with little to no cap penalty.   This is the Ravens org.  They aren't stupid and are planning for next year like we are and they still have to get LJ signed at some point.   Pure business decision.  Pass as he plays the same position as Thornhill.   He spurned us last year......screw him!

10 hours ago, Balto said:

I actually don’t think he will accept a low contract and will wait for the money when a team has injuries.

You may be correct and yet he is getting paid by Balt this  year so its not like he is playing on the cheap. See Cam Newton.  He may want to beat Balt in the playoffs. Thornhill is not guaranteed 100% and every team is one injury away from a NEED. HB would be free to play anywhere depending on the opponent & situation. We should ask Frank Clark what he thinks.