Should KC Sign Earl Thomas? Just Released.

17 hours ago, DieHard said:

Nope. The guy is nothing but a headache. No room for freelancing by a declining player in this system.

This is one of the biggest reasons there were issues with Chuck Clark.

Clark is a very cerebral player- very well respected in the locker room.

Thomas was constantly late for meetings, clashed with other players and the player management council went to Management to get rid of him.

1 minute ago, AFCWEST said:

Because they can get him on the cheap and not give up anything?

You said trade him, no one wanted him before his release. e signs with KC and cleans his act up then gets traded? I don't think so....

Also, Thomas shared film from the play on Instagram, that which was taken in the Ravens Film Room...big no no

17 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Well if Baltimore thought he was so good then why not keep him? They are after all trying to beat the Chiefs. This thought process would put them further back?

Actually, the defense just got better. Earl wasn't a top 10 let alone a top 20 safety. I said it before in another thread about the HB.

16 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

You said trade him, no one wanted him before his release. e signs with KC and cleans his act up then gets traded? I don't think so....

Also, Thomas shared film from the play on Instagram, that which was taken in the Ravens Film Room...big no no

I did not say that? He acts up he gets cut. 

15 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

FYI....Ravens did try to deal him but he has a 10 million salary. Most teams knew he was going to be released. Like I have said if he becomes a slight headache you cut him.

Low risk high reward

From the time the incident happened to when he was released did not allow the Ravens time to "in earnest" find a trade partner. If they thought Thomas had trade value they could have kept him and tried to deal him. Now word is out the players wanted him gone.

Low risk high reward? Lol....sure.

32 minutes ago, dhitter said:

From the time the incident happened to when he was released did not allow the Ravens time to "in earnest" find a trade partner. If they thought Thomas had trade value they could have kept him and tried to deal him. Now word is out the players wanted him gone.

Low risk high reward? Lol....sure.

2 full days is enough to call around to about 25 other teams- rest all have safety position wrapped up.

It wasn't just this incident: late to meetings, had a public incident with Brandon Williams after the Cleveland game last year (gave up almost 200 yards rushing) where he called him out for not playing, in front of the team. Also, when his wife pulled the gun on him, he never said a word to the Ravens- they found out thru the press like we all did. Plus his play on the field was suspect; late to the play, running after a ball carrier because he was out of position due to freelancing...he is no Ed Reed

20 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Nothing in his performance hints he is washed up. Problematic personality Yes. The Chiefs are a great team no doubt. Fact: Ward and Fenton were burned on that overthrow by Garappalo. Had that pass been completed, most here would be screaming for help. The playoffs and some breaks went the Chiefs way, for once. KC is not head and shoulders better than Balt or many other very good NFL teams. Someone will sign this guy on the cheap. Cheap deal=no risk. Chiefs have good leadership that will not tolerate any BS.

Maybe not but he is declining...not the same player as before and he had issues grasping the defense as Seattle played mostly cover 3.

6 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

2 full days is enough to call around to about 25 other teams- rest all have safety position wrapped up.

It wasn't just this incident: late to meetings, had a public incident with Brandon Williams after the Cleveland game last year (gave up almost 200 yards rushing) where he called him out for not playing, in front of the team. Also, when his wife pulled the gun on him, he never said a word to the Ravens- they found out thru the press like we all did. Plus his play on the field was suspect; late to the play, running after a ball carrier because he was out of position due to freelancing...he is no Ed Reed

2 days is enough if the consensus is flat out "not interested". Yes Thomas had more than the one incident. The beat writer I was reading said the biggest issue was he alienated himself from the players. Kept to himself....never kidded or seemed to enjoy what he was doing. Add the incidences and the fact the Ravens are contenders for a title...it was to be expected.

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

2 days is enough if the consensus is flat out "not interested". Yes Thomas had more than the one incident. The beat writer I was reading said the biggest issue was he alienated himself from the players. Kept to himself....never kidded or seemed to enjoy what he was doing. Add the incidences and the fact the Ravens are contenders for a title...it was to be expected.

Last year after they played Seattle in Seattle the Ravens had a bye week, Earl did not fly back with the team, stayed in Seattle without telling anyone and blew of team meetings Mon and Tuesday

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Actually, the defense just got better. Earl wasn't a top 10 let alone a top 20 safety. I said it before in another thread about the HB.

I agree. Depth signing maybe to help until Thornhill comes back and then get some experience from him and HB. Not worth the 10 mil a year though

From Jason LaCanfora-

"The first wave of free agency was crashing on the shore, and, not even Jerry Jones was willing to meet Thomas' asking price at the time, despite the player and that team flirting (often in public) with one another for months. And while the successive major injuries were a big issue and the safety's antics in Seattle wore out even Pete Carroll, whose thresholds are quite high, Baltimore made a massive free agent splash, anyway, in DeCosta's first offseason.

Anytime you go where Jones won't go on a player with some warts, it should probably give you pause. In retrospect, wooing Mathieu may have put Baltimore over the top last year in the way he helped Kansas City break its Lombardi hex. He was the right guy all along -- a shapeshifting, multi-faceted defender who meshes perfectly with what coordinator Wink Martindale wants to do and was younger, more athletic and came cheaper than Thomas. He's been a perfect role model in K.C. "

4 hours ago, dksww said:

There's no need for Safety on the Chiefs right now.  We need a CB

HB can play corner for 4 games. I would take a flyer on this guy. Chiefs locker room will control this. Fenton is not the guy I want to see at corner. The first 4 games are no gimmies.

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

From Jason LaCanfora-

"The first wave of free agency was crashing on the shore, and, not even Jerry Jones was willing to meet Thomas' asking price at the time, despite the player and that team flirting (often in public) with one another for months. And while the successive major injuries were a big issue and the safety's antics in Seattle wore out even Pete Carroll, whose thresholds are quite high, Baltimore made a massive free agent splash, anyway, in DeCosta's first offseason.

Anytime you go where Jones won't go on a player with some warts, it should probably give you pause. In retrospect, wooing Mathieu may have put Baltimore over the top last year in the way he helped Kansas City break its Lombardi hex. He was the right guy all along -- a shapeshifting, multi-faceted defender who meshes perfectly with what coordinator Wink Martindale wants to do and was younger, more athletic and came cheaper than Thomas. He's been a perfect role model in K.C. "

well that and jumping ahead of us in 2017 to draft Mahomes.  Harbaugh may not have had Pat to the current level as fast as Andy but he would have done great there regardless and probably would have won a superbowl last year with that roster.

2 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

Sounds like the guy is a total head case. Chiefs don’t need a guy like that in their secondary room. He pissed off a team that has a legit shot to challenge for a championship and they had to jettison him. No thanks. 

Not sure if he's a headcase. Used to be a standout guy in Seattle. However he contemplated the will to retire way too often mostly due to injuries and constant need to look out for himself in all areas of life. I think that approach might be having a toll on him at this point of his career. 

32 minutes ago, Balto said:

Funny thing is Tyrann and Earl are only 3 years apart in age.  Really shows you how fast NFL players can age

3 years ago Earl was an All-Pro

Earl's game was always based on speed as a single high safety.  HBs game is based on versatility and agility.  I would bet he'll age a little better, health permitting.   If Earl was versatile like HB he could probably still be productive in the right system.  As it is, if his head isn't in it, and it sounds like its not, Earl's in trouble.  Guess thats what happens when you spend the offseason getting in trouble with your wife.