Should KC Sign Earl Thomas? Just Released.

2 minutes ago, xen said:

Earl's game was always based on speed as a single high safety.  HBs game is based on versatility and agility.  I would bet he'll age a little better, health permitting.   If Earl was versatile like HB he could probably still be productive in the right system.  As it is, if his head isn't in it, and it sounds like its not, Earl's in trouble.  Guess thats what happens when you spend the offseason getting in trouble with your wife.

What ever happened to all the elite corners in the NFL switching to Safety in their later years?  Seemed that was a thing haha

I guess I wouldn't complain if Spags decides he wants Earl and he comes cheap enough on a 1 yr deal. I would be very skeptical but Spags and Veach have earned some trust with personnel decisions.  From the outside, as things currently stand, it doesn't seem like a good idea but hey, what do I know compared to Spags.

Just now, xen said:

I guess I wouldn't complain if Spags decides he wants Earl and he comes cheap enough on a 1 yr deal. I would be very skeptical but Spags and Veach have earned some trust with personnel decisions.  From the outside, as things currently stand, it doesn't seem like a good idea but hey, what do I know compared to Spags.

Is there a place to look up how many times Spags ran with three safeties on the field at the same time?

6 minutes ago, Balto said:

Is there a place to look up how many times Spags ran with three safeties on the field at the same time?

Don't know exact numbers but Craig stout kept running totals last year and the big nickel was about 35-50% of the total snaps, depending on the team, especially later in the year.  42 o/u.

23 minutes ago, xen said:

Don't know exact numbers but Craig stout kept running totals last year and the big nickel was about 35-50% of the total snaps, depending on the team, especially later in the year.  42 o/u.

Hmm over on footballguys.com I found snap counts.

Our top players in snap count were:

1)  HoneyBadger with 1096

2)  Ward with 1063

3)  Thornhill with 1012

4)  Kelce with 983

5) Breeland with 928

6)  Pat with 891

Dirty Dan had 574

Fuller had 507

Claiborne had 198

Fenton had 169

Watts had 74

Lucas had 41

So yes I guess if you look at that Spags seems to lean pretty heavy on his two starting safeties with a good mix of Dirty Dan in there.  Looking at this makes me even more worried about corner haha

20 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

HB can play corner for 4 games. I would take a flyer on this guy. Chiefs locker room will control this. Fenton is not the guy I want to see at corner. The first 4 games are no gimmies.

Im fairly confident with fenton and ward at cb, although i assume fenton will stick to nickel and roll with a rookie at cb. Would love to bring logan ryan in on a cheap 1 year deal to play nickel and let fenton man the outside

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Im fairly confident with fenton and ward at cb, although i assume fenton will stick to nickel and roll with a rookie at cb. Would love to bring logan ryan in on a cheap 1 year deal to play nickel and let fenton man the outside

I dont think the rookie corners will be ready by week 1 with no offseason.  Bopete hasn't even practiced yet and Snead needs a lot of work to transition back to a position he hasn't played in a while.

First 4 games ought to be interesting.  I bet we pick up a vet corner after cuts.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:32 PM, xen said:

well that and jumping ahead of us in 2017 to draft Mahomes.  Harbaugh may not have had Pat to the current level as fast as Andy but he would have done great there regardless and probably would have won a superbowl last year with that roster.

If the Ravens had drafted PM, he would have had Marty Morningwheg as his OC; Marty spent 8 years under Andy in Philly, taking over the play calling in 2006. Only time Andy has not been the play caller.

No doubt Andy is more creative as an OC but MM wouldn't have been bad for PM. Problem is, Flacco had just signed a 3 yr extension as a SB winner and MVP. No way was Ozzie going to give up the draft capital to get PM that KC did. Not saying I wouldn't; saying OZZIE wouldn't.

Given that Greg Roman is now OC, PM would have won  a lot of games. The issue in the playoff loss last year was defense; just like in our losses to KC over the last 2 years. Can't stop 'em.

23 hours ago, xen said:

Earl's game was always based on speed as a single high safety.  HBs game is based on versatility and agility.  I would bet he'll age a little better, health permitting.   If Earl was versatile like HB he could probably still be productive in the right system.  As it is, if his head isn't in it, and it sounds like its not, Earl's in trouble.  Guess thats what happens when you spend the offseason getting in trouble with your wife.

I love my brothers and all but there is no way I am have a 3 way with one of them and some woman. Weird stuff man....

I didn't think that Earl was that great last year. Many times he was so out of position he just looked lost or drunk. He said the Ravens D was "complicated". Spags runs a pretty good system so I am not sure he could learn it in such a small amount of time.

I’d really like to hear what Frank thinks of Earl.  I tried looking around and could only find a locker room video of Frank pretty much saying Earl is a hall of gamer but Earl do Earl like he is a little different than others /shrug.

Frank seems like a cat that will tell it like it is and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the staff talks to him if they are at all interested in signing Earl.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:19 AM, xen said:

Weren’t all the reports saying KC had traded for Earl the day he broke his leg, so it was canceled?  Reid has never seemed to mind bringing in players with issues so who knows

34 minutes ago, Balto said:

Weren’t all the reports saying KC had traded for Earl the day he broke his leg, so it was canceled?  Reid has never seemed to mind bringing in players with issues so who knows

Google is your friend 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/03/earl-thomas-was-close-to-signing-with-chiefs

March 16th, 2019 at 12:10pm CST by Ben Levine

Before he inked a lucrative contract with the Ravens, Earl Thomas thought he was heading to Kansas City. The veteran safety told the team website that he was set to sign a one- or two-year deal with the Chiefs before Baltimore came calling.

Earl-Thomas-208x300.jpg“I thought I was going to go Kansas City on like a two-year deal, one-year deal, and I was just going to bet on myself and hit the market again [next year or in 2021], and then my agents called me,” Thomas said (via Charean Williams of ProFootballTalk.com). “They said that Baltimore has made a deal for you. I said, ‘Hell, yeah. That’s where I’m going.’

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Google is your friend 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/03/earl-thomas-was-close-to-signing-with-chiefs

March 16th, 2019 at 12:10pm CST by Ben Levine

Before he inked a lucrative contract with the Ravens, Earl Thomas thought he was heading to Kansas City. The veteran safety told the team website that he was set to sign a one- or two-year deal with the Chiefs before Baltimore came calling.

Earl-Thomas-208x300.jpg“I thought I was going to go Kansas City on like a two-year deal, one-year deal, and I was just going to bet on myself and hit the market again [next year or in 2021], and then my agents called me,” Thomas said (via Charean Williams of ProFootballTalk.com). “They said that Baltimore has made a deal for you. I said, ‘Hell, yeah. That’s where I’m going.’

No OT 

I'm talking about during the season where he broke his leg.  Reports were that we and Seattle had agreed to the trade but then Earl broke his leg thus canceling the trade.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Monday's edition of The Aftermath that the Kansas City Chiefs were poised to strike a deal with Seattle to bring Thomas to the AFC West. 

"Here is how it went going into Sunday: From what I am told, the Seahawks wanted two second-round picks, actually lowered their price to one second-round pick," Rapoport said. "The Kansas City Chiefs were then in the process of freeing up money, creating salary cap space to make room for Thomas' $8.5 million salary. This is something that likely would have happened, and Earl Thomas would have been a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. He just needed more time." 

Then the disastrous injury struck, leading to the NFL's top safety being carted from the game. On his way out Thomas gave a one-finger salute to the Seahawks sideline. 

Per Rapoport, an extension for Thomas wasn't likely in the cards in K.C., but the Chiefscould have gotten one of football's best rentals while Seattle would have gotten a high draft pick for a player who is likely gone after the season. 

The Chiefs currently have $6.6 million of cap space, per Over The Cap. They would have had to move some money around to make the deal work.

Rapoport reported that the Seahawks didn't consider sitting Thomas out to avoid injury. 

"I don't want to make it seem like it was something that was going to happen in a matter of hours," he said. "It would have taken some time, but when two sides get close to a trade and you sort of know it's going to happen, the Chiefs could have cleared cap space relatively quickly. I have not heard any consideration of sitting Thomas, but it's probably something that could have happened in a matter of days or weeks." 

Instead, Thomas is done for the year -- and likely done in Seattle. The Chiefs don't have an all-star piece to buffer a porous defense. And Seattle doesn't have a second-round pick it could have used to bolster a young roster. Injuries suck.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

ok ..gotcha.. but  I think you answered your own question..it was a trade still in the works at the time of his injury..in both cases probably one of the best NO GETS  in recent Chiefs history..IMHO

I agree and this would of meant not drafting either Hardman OR Thornhill!  OUCH