Thoughts from the game...

Great way to start the year.   

The O didn't skip a beat.

CEH gives this O an added dimension that is going to be scary.

Osemele is a big upgrade at LG.

DRob dropped two good passes that he needs to catch.

D looks good overall.

Holding them to 7 points until garbage time.

Dline got pressure consistently and probably would have a few more sacks with any other qb not named LJ or Watson.

The stage didn't look too big for Snead.

Hitchens and Niemann are just not good no matter how much the Chiefs try to tell us otherwise.  By far the biggest issue on this team.

I liked Reid's aggressiveness.   

Bill O'Brien is an idiot for trading away, Deondre Hopkins.

Saunders looked like he dislocated his elbow.  If true whats the time table for that?

Was Ward's injury serious?

I'll go back and rewatch but did Danna or Wharton make any good plays?  I saw Wharton with some pressure and pursuit on a Watson scramble but other than that wasn't paying to close attention.   

What were your thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Again its like our linebackers aren't even on the field. None of them can cover, has any instincts. These guys can even fill the right gaps. 

Having said that this team is extremely good, and aside from injuries its gonna take a lot to slow us down. 

Very harsh assessment. You know those linebackers were good enough to win a SUPERBOWL. You cant have superstars at every position. So they do have some instincts, can cover reasonably well and must be filling some gaps. The Texans are pros too. GEEZ

13 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Very harsh assessment. You know those linebackers were good enough to win a SUPERBOWL. You cant have superstars at every position. So they do have some instincts, can cover reasonably well and must be filling some gaps. The Texans are pros too. GEEZ

I don't think it's harsh at all.  This is year two in the system.  We didn't win the SB because of those LB's we won the SB in spite of those LBs.   

22 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I don't think it's harsh at all.  This is year two in the system.  We didn't win the SB because of those LB's we won the SB in spite of those LBs.   

The Titans and 49ers destroyed every team they played with the run.  Except us. There has to be some credit to the linebackers for that.  Linebacker is the weak link, but they played well enough.  Drafting Gay (NTTAWWT) was a start, but Hitchens contract is going to make it difficult to fix the problem right away.  

24 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

The Titans and 49ers destroyed every team they played with the run.  Except us. There has to be some credit to the linebackers for that.  Linebacker is the weak link, but they played well enough.  Drafting Gay (NTTAWWT) was a start, but Hitchens contract is going to make it difficult to fix the problem right away.  

Hitchens is the biggest part of the problem. He was paid to be the leader of this unit and a playmaker and the dude is fuckin awful. Ive always thought Niemann sucked so losing Ragland and putting him into the starting lineup is a downgrade in my mind. 

It is what is is. It didn't keep us from winning it all last year and it won't this year.

Broncos released ILB Todd Davis.

Davis started 59 games for Denver over the last four seasons but was entering the final year of his contract and suffered a calf injury during camp. His release saves the Broncos $4.5 million against the cap. Davis was Pro Football Focus' No. 20 off-ball linebacker out of 57 qualifiers who played at least 50% of the snaps last season, seeing positive marks for his run defense. The 28-year-old should get another chance elsewhere. This was probably more about money. Denver has Mark Barron, Alexander Johnson, Joe Jones, and newly-acquired Austin Calitro as options at the position.

Maybe bring him?

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

No. It isn't. Why are you acting offended by the fact that I dont think we have a good linebacking corps?

What team are you watching? These guys can't cover worth a damn. Its OK to have a position group that struggles. You seem to realize that because you alluded to it in your post. So are you related to one of them or what?

6 minutes ago, Balto said:

Broncos released ILB Todd Davis.

Davis started 59 games for Denver over the last four seasons but was entering the final year of his contract and suffered a calf injury during camp. His release saves the Broncos $4.5 million against the cap. Davis was Pro Football Focus' No. 20 off-ball linebacker out of 57 qualifiers who played at least 50% of the snaps last season, seeing positive marks for his run defense. The 28-year-old should get another chance elsewhere. This was probably more about money. Denver has Mark Barron, Alexander Johnson, Joe Jones, and newly-acquired Austin Calitro as options at the position.

Maybe bring him?

More worried about replacing Saunders. Is snacks still out there?

Chiefs looked fine on D IMO.  Houston is a favorite to play us again for the Hunt Trophy.

CEH is a stud.

Osemele is better than LDT

WR's are still the best in the business although DRob dropped 2 TD passes.

It was banner night and i loved it...

Ward should be able to play with a broken hand...

w

Well Kalen is done. He has a dislocated elbow. Cant wait to get Pennell back and let Saunders ease back in if he can.

LBs played like shit. Need ti step it up next game and show us something.  Wonder why Gay played 0 snaps? Is he just that far behind when our LB play this game was so bad? Did not see Wharton much. Wonder why Taco was a no go too?

CB is another area of concern. If Ward is a a no go, we need at least a vet that can play and help push the others to depth until they are ready. Teams will start scheming to specifically pick in them with picks, runs etc. Trial by fire.

Don't understand about Gay and Taco.  They were expected to play a role and didn't see the field except for Gay on special teams.  Wharton made a couple of tackles and got a little pressure once.  Dana got three tackles IIRC.  The LBs are terrible..  Maybe Gay can help if Spags can trust him and they'll look better after Pennel comes back.  Hitchens is a bust, plain and simple.  I think Reid played the Texans perfectly and kept the deep passes under wraps.  He will force the upcoming teams to scheme for CEH before he unleashes last years' offense.  If they can dominate the Chargers without using the deep throws, they'll be primed for the Ravens.  JMHO 

I am sure Spags has already gone through the game tape 20x....

...he will adjust.

I am pleasantly surprised that the Defense looked much more like the SB Defense at the end of the year vs last seasons first game defense...

No pre-season and all...

Spags is a hell of a coach.

w

Just now, West said:

I am sure Spags has already gone through the game tape 20x....

...he will adjust.

I am pleasantly surprised that the Defense looked much more like the SB Defense at the end of the year vs last seasons first game defense...

No pre-season and all...

Spags is a hell of a coach.

w

Our d line is a fuckin beast as a pass rushing unit. We can get pressure with just our front, so that makes our blitzes even more effective.

My biggest takeaway last night was Sneed though. Kid looked outstanding considering where we heard he was during the offseason. They made it sound like he was so raw that he was gonna get torched. He looked outstanding and that top end speed is sorely needed.

Yeah, pointing out our LB unit is awful is not saying they can't have a decent game here or there but listing the 49ers and the Titans as your glowing example of their potential leads me to mention both those teams passing attacks aren't scary at all.   Ragland was reasonably stout vs the run but I remember a lot of the Dline stopping those plays more so than our LB's hitting the holes.  Last night we allowed the running back to get through the hole and we were still tentative.  Can't get off blocks and slow as molasses.  

I'm just surprised we threw all our eggs into a 2nd rounder to fix that position that was clearly the weakest link last year.   DOD outplayed the starters in 5 flipping snaps lol.   Will we be fine?  I'm sure we will and like others have mentioned we don't need superstars at every position, but we have replacement-level players.  Hitchens can't be replaced easily but the 5th lb spot could have been replaced with a potential starter.   

Time will tell and we can hope lack of reps in camp is part of the culprit, but I don't have much faith.

Was a great game.., Good to have football back..,

CEH is a great addition, but if he tries one more spin move at the goal line, he's gonna get knocked into a different universe..,

Thought the defense did OK. We held them to 7 points for three quarters.., It was never close in the second half..,

Looks like we're gonna own the second quarter again this year.., I'm excited..,