5 things we learned from Chiefs v Texans

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

The LB situation becomes even more glaring watching other teams who are just decent, not great, but still closing gaps quickly on sweeps and swing passes.

Our guys not so much.

At one point on Sunday, the Ravens had two rookies as MLB's, 1st rd and 3rd rd picks. Not sure why Spags won't give Gay a chance.

10 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

At one point on Sunday, the Ravens had two rookies as MLB's, 1st rd and 3rd rd picks. Not sure why Spags won't give Gay a chance.

Two possibilities.  

1.  Spags is homophobic.  This is a very real possibility since there are no other gays on the defense.  Something to keep an eye on frankly. 

2.  Spags has information that we do not.  Perhaps he's not as good as we think.  Perhaps he's not catching on to the scheme yet.  With no preseason games maybe he's just not there yet.  Not that crazy for a rookie to not play the first game of the season.  

23 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Two possibilities.  

1.  Spags is homophobic.  This is a very real possibility since there are no other gays on the defense.  Something to keep an eye on frankly. 

2.  Spags has information that we do not.  Perhaps he's not as good as we think.  Perhaps he's not catching on to the scheme yet.  With no preseason games maybe he's just not there yet.  Not that crazy for a rookie to not play the first game of the season.  

Spags defense is a hard one to pick up. We saw how our vets were last year in the first half trying to adjust to it. Now take a very raw guy with little playing experience, even for college, and you see why he may not be playing.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Spags defense is a hard one to pick up. We saw how our vets were last year in the first half trying to adjust to it. Now take a very raw guy with little playing experience, even for college, and you see why he may not be playing.

And the systemic prejudice against gays could be a factor.  

25 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I really want to know why Hardman was not in there more or targeted?  Robinson is not better than him and even he had more drops than mecole caught I believe? I am trying to recall how often Hardman was in there.

I started wondering that after Rob's 2nd TD drop

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

All you say may be true, but in garbage time an inexperienced player has a chance to get experience.  It should help his progress and sure couldn't hurt.

We don't really know anything about it.  Gay might have a minor injury.  He might be in the doghouse for showing up late to a meeting and Spags is trying to make him a professional.  It's one game.  And we gave up 7 points through 3 quarters to a quarterback that is supposed to be elite. 

50 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

We don't really know anything about it.  Gay might have a minor injury.  He might be in the doghouse for showing up late to a meeting and Spags is trying to make him a professional.  It's one game.  And we gave up 7 points through 3 quarters to a quarterback that is supposed to be elite. 

I understand that and that very well might be the case.   I trust Spags and he did an incredible job last year and outside of LB we look solid in every area and great at pass rush.   The one issue I have is them talking up the LB's in the preseason and then watching them look so horrible.  To me it isn't just a weakness but a glaring hole.  Interested to see if he gets some run next game vs the Chargers.   

28 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I'm in the club that the superbowl winning coaches know what the hell they are doing better than we do. If Gay isn't playing then I imagine the people actually working with him every freaking day have a good reason why. They're playing to run it back, not please the fans daily whims.

Agree and they did not have preseason to see if the current guys were who they appeared to be in practice. I think they got a good look at reality and maybe Gay gets his shot against the Chargeless

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I started wondering that after Rob's 2nd TD drop

Yea, about tired of his drops. Cause it’s going to cost us a game, like it almost did against Houston in the playoffs. It’s underplayed how he  helped Houston build momentum last year In the playoff game. Mecoles time is coming 

The only thing I can figure is that DRob got the snaps for his blocking ability. Gay did not have a ton of snaps in college. He may just have a learning curve and they don’t want to throw him in over his head and kill his confidence and aggressiveness. But I really don’t know. These guys know how to get the best out of their personnel so I will bitch about, but know I am wrong.

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

No one is claiming that the Chiefs' D would be improved by putting in Gay last week or next week.  I'm saying that Gay will get up to speed quicker and better if he plays even a minor role when the game is essentially over.  Agree that the staff knows what it's doing and we can't argue with success.  Just wish we knew if Gay isn't what they thought he was or if he's in the dog house for some reason.  Fans always want more info. 

5 hours ago, Calichief said:

Yea, about tired of his drops. Cause it’s going to cost us a game, like it almost did against Houston in the playoffs. It’s underplayed how he  helped Houston build momentum last year In the playoff game. Mecoles time is coming 

I definitely don't want to be a debbie downer but I view Hardman more as a luxury piece for this offense.  His speed makes him a weapon but I'm not sure he is ever going to be what some on this board hopes he becomes.  His route running needs work and while he's super-fast he's not super quick.    I believe that is why they were rumored to want Henry Ruggs in this draft and were willing to move up if he fell to a certain point.   At that point, we had already reworked Sammy's deal so why would we want another super fast wr who is a better route runner?   I hope I am dead wrong it shouldn't be that hard to beat out a guy this team wasn't even interested in bringing back until no one else wanted him for a vet minimum deal.   

I know I do this with Gay but like some of y'all have said, these coaches want to run it back and they aren't making decisions on what we like or want but rather what's best for the team.   I hate to hear that about Gay because I hope he is special but at the end of the day we really don't know how any of these draft picks are going to pan out.   

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

No one is claiming that the Chiefs' D would be improved by putting in Gay last week or next week.  I'm saying that Gay will get up to speed quicker and better if he plays even a minor role when the game is essentially over.  Agree that the staff knows what it's doing and we can't argue with success.  Just wish we knew if Gay isn't what they thought he was or if he's in the dog house for some reason.  Fans always want more info. 

those are not the only options.  

20 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Two possibilities.  

1.  Spags is homophobic.  This is a very real possibility since there are no other gays on the defense.  Something to keep an eye on frankly. Gay and frank in the same sentence?

2.  Spags has information that we do not.  Perhaps he's not as good as we think.  Perhaps he's not catching on to the scheme yet.  With no preseason games maybe he's just not there yet.  Not that crazy for a rookie to not play the first game of the season.  Never said that they should; but considering what the Chiefs have....

19 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Baltimore's defense is harder- one of the reasons Earl Thomas struggled, yet two rookies played with one starting.

Gay is a good player- better than what is in there. Age discimination if you ask me...

21 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I really want to know why Hardman was not in there more or targeted?  Robinson is not better than him and even he had more drops than mecole caught I believe? I am trying to recall how often Hardman was in there.

Mahomes really likes Robinson, and so does Reid. I'm guessing he's one of those guys that light it up in practice. However after the week 1 performances I'm expecting some of his role diminishing rather quickly. 

Overall Robinson has been considered more of a possession receiver while Hardman has been used like an outside threat as well as "offensive weapon" similar to DMC or DAT, I don't think their roles are interchangeable but we could see some changes in the scheme with Hardman getting more looks.