Ravens Week- let's get it rolling

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think they will lose. I said we are gonna get our asses kicked. That was probably a bit much. Mahomes teams dont get their asses kicked. And we've done a good job containing Jackson since he came into the league.

But this run defense is gonna bite us sometime. And that may be what needs to happen to get them to put Gay on the field. We have a lb corps that doesn't have a strength. Wilson is a solid run stopper. That is it. None of them can cover, and Niemann and Hitchens can't do anything well. It concerns me.

I disagree. I just want the win. Tucker for 3 as time expires is cool with me.

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think they will lose. I said we are gonna get our asses kicked. That was probably a bit much. Mahomes teams dont get their asses kicked. And we've done a good job containing Jackson since he came into the league.

But this run defense is gonna bite us sometime. And that may be what needs to happen to get them to put Gay on the field. We have a lb corps that doesn't have a strength. Wilson is a solid run stopper. That is it. None of them can cover, and Niemann and Hitchens can't do anything well. It concerns me.

Im sure if Gay was ready he would be starting. So hoping it sucks so Gay can play is just?

2 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Where have the Chiefs improved since last Season? Besides returning 21 of 22 starters?  That's actually kind of a big thing when you are a young team that wins. 

I can tell you where the Ravens are different since Week 4 of last season, almost 350 something days ago.  Titans game was much more recent than that.  And starting week 5 last year we lost 3 of 4.  If you don't think we have also gotten better then you're not paying attention.

- traded for Marcus Peters Week 7 2019- 1st start includes a Pick SIx of Russell Wilson. Had an INT last week vs Texans  That ties him with our rookie corner Sneed I guess.

-got rid of Earl Thomas. There is a reason no one has signed him- he's done. And an ass. 

- signed Calais Campbell. Premier run stuffer, undervalued interior pass rusher. Great player 

-signed Derek Wolf- underrated defensive lineman who just continues to make plays  OK.  Not like Chargers and 49ers don't have good lines. 

- drafted MLB Queen and Harrison. Already contributors, they are playing like veterans. No downside. AJ Fort is underrated also.  So far our rookie class looks really good. 

-healthy Hollywood Brown. No screws in his foot, kid can fly. and bulked up 25 lbs of muscle this year also.  He sounds really goodI'm surprised the Texans shut him down. 

- JK Dobbins. You like CEH? Why would I not? Adding Dobbins to that backfield just isn't fair. Now we can grind it out all the way with him, Ingram, Gus and LJ8  We beat you last year with Darrel Williams and Shady McCoy.  And no Tyreek Hill. 

40 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Im sure if Gay was ready he would be starting. So hoping it sucks so Gay can play is just?

I didnt say I hoped it sucks. I'd like them all to play great. But sometimes this is what has to happen to get a coach to make a change.

Or maybe he isn't ready. Maybe he's never gonna be. Who knows.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Seems like Baltimore might have some of those things...

Last year that was not true.  They relied on blitzes to get pressure more than any team in the league.  This year, remains to be seen,  regardless of what Hands thinks about it.  I need to see it consistently against good teams.  Hard to blitz mahomes constantly as he'll eat the blitz up.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

You don't think the Ravens can? Adding Campbell and Wolf changed the front 4- blitz rate is down. Secondary is better with Peters (He didn't come to Baltimore until 3 weeks after the Chiefs game)

Back 7 might be the beats in the League, especially after Thomas release

we'll see.  Let's see how they do against some good teams before we anoint them.  Certainly that has not been the case with the ravens dline in past few years.

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Yes.  But it's one game.  Two games ago we won the Super Bowl.  Three games ago we won the AFCCG.  1 game ago we dismantled the Texans.  Teams have bad games.  The 2018 Patriots lost to the Jaguars (5-11), Lions (6-10), and Dolphins (7-9).  Then they won the Super Bowl for the jillionth time.

If we suck 5 games from now then maybe I'll worry.  But for now it's just people being spoiled.  NFL teams are good and you're not going to dominate everyone like everyone expects.

One game but we are seeing that run defense rear its ugly head again. The line sucked and Mahomes had 60 yards passing in the first half. Again we cant play that poorly and EXPECT to win. Last year has nothing to do with this year for games. We did the stupid penalties from the line that helped stall drives and then the tackling. Those are things you just cant do.

Discipline was lacking and I do hope it is a wake up call. I am far from being negative just pointing out how badly this game was. Do this against the Ravens and we may see Mahomes lose by double digits for his first time. Again I hope they learned from it and kick ass.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I just checked with the local ABC affiliate. The MNF ABC game last Monday was just a one time deal to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the first MNF..  so this upcoming game will be on ESPN or if there is any streaming sites available..maybe?

If you have a PC I use this website to watch Redzone and the Chiefs.....

games

6 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Where have the Chiefs improved since last Season? Besides returning 21 of 22 starters?

I can tell you where the Ravens are different since Week 4 of last season, almost 350 something days ago.

- traded for Marcus Peters Week 7 2019- 1st start includes a Pick SIx of Russell Wilson. Had an INT last week vs Texans

-got rid of Earl Thomas. There is a reason no one has signed him- he's done. And an ass.

- signed Calais Campbell. Premier run stuffer, undervalued interior pass rusher. Great player

-signed Derek Wolf- underrated defensive lineman who just continues to make plays

- drafted MLB Queen and Harrison. Already contributors, they are playing like veterans. No downside. AJ Fort is underrated also.

-healthy Hollywood Brown. No screws in his foot, kid can fly. and bulked up 25 lbs of muscle this year also.

- JK Dobbins. You like CEH? Adding Dobbins to that backfield just isn't fair. Now we can grind it out all the way with him, Ingram, Gus and LJ8

Wow!  I don't know why the Chiefs are even bothering to go to BAL.  Maybe just to get some crab cakes.  According to the above, they have no chance. 

6 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Where have the Chiefs improved since last Season? Besides returning 21 of 22 starters?

I can tell you where the Ravens are different since Week 4 of last season, almost 350 something days ago.

- traded for Marcus Peters Week 7 2019- 1st start includes a Pick SIx of Russell Wilson. Had an INT last week vs Texans

-signed Derek Wolf- underrated defensive lineman who just continues to make plays

- drafted MLB Queen and Harrison. Already contributors, they are playing like veterans. No downside. AJ Fort is underrated also.

-healthy Hollywood Brown. No screws in his foot, kid can fly. and bulked up 25 lbs of muscle this year also.

- JK Dobbins. You like CEH? Adding Dobbins to that backfield just isn't fair. Now we can grind it out all the way with him, Ingram, Gus and LJ8

Wow!  I don't know why the Chiefs are even bothering to go to BAL.  Maybe just to get some crab cakes.  According to the above, they have no chance. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I just checked with the local ABC affiliate. The MNF ABC game last Monday was just a one time deal to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the first MNF..  so this upcoming game will be on ESPN or if there is any streaming sites available..maybe?

i dropped satellite and cable and went straight streaming with a firestick and VPN, now i watch what i want to for a fraction of what i

paid last year

8 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Here's a stat for you. 

The Ravens with LJ as a starter in the regular season:

Record against non-Chiefs teams - 21-1

Record vs Mahomes led Chiefs - 0-2

Chiefs did not bring the better overall roster to either game.

1 minute ago, xen said:

Here's a stat for you. 

The Ravens with LJ as a starter in the regular season:

Record against non-Chiefs teams - 21-1

Record vs Mahomes led Chiefs - 0-2

Chiefs did not bring the better overall roster to either game.

Forgot the two playoff loses so 21-3 and 0-2 in the most important stat, playoff wins.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/eisenberg-what-the-budding-lamar-jackson-patrick-mahomes-rivalry-needs

Eisenberg: What the Budding Lamar Jackson-Patrick Mahomes Rivalry Needs
Sep 22, 2020 at 12:00 PM
Eisenberg_John
John Eisenberg
Baltimore Ravens Columnist

Even though Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes are still relatively early in their careers, it isn't a stretch to suggest they might constitute the NFL's next great quarterback rivalry.

They're different players, Mahomes the ultimate arm, Jackson a unique and dynamic playmaker. But each has won a league MVP award and plays for a sound, forward-thinking organization that knows how to build a winner around a top quarterback. Mahomes has already won a Super Bowl.

Nope, not in the least is it a stretch to suggest we might be seeing the start of something very special, perhaps even the heir to the rivalry between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning that dominated the NFL for so long.

But before you anoint any competition as a rivalry, it has to be, well, a rivalry. And by definition, that means both sides experience a measure of success, ratcheting up the heat.

Brady and Manning opposed each other in 17 games throughout their long careers. Brady won 11, but each scored signature triumphs over the other, and that give-and-take is what made their rivalry so compelling.

Jackson and Mahomes are still so new to the NFL that they haven't opposed each other much – just twice in the regular season, with both games in Kansas City. The Chiefs won in overtime in Week 14 of the 2018 season. They won again, by five points, in Week 3 last season. (The teams would have met in the 2019 AFC title game except the Ravens lost in the divisional-round playoffs.)

In other words, as yet there's no give-and-take in this quarterback rivalry, at least in terms of final results. Incredibly, Jackson is 21-1 in the regular season as a starter against every team other than the Chiefs. But he is 0-2 against the Chiefs.

"Those two losses definitely make me mad, but it is what it is. Move on. We've got them again this year," Jackson told my colleague Ryan Mink in an interview last month.

Now another game between them is at hand, set for Monday night at M&T Bank Stadium. The fates of the teams, both undefeated, is the far bigger story, but a Baltimore victory would give Jackson his first taste of success against Mahomes, injecting a measure of that give-and-take into their developing rivalry.

To be clear, and not surprisingly, Jackson balks at viewing any game with the Chiefs as a competition between himself and Mahomes.

"I don't really care for rivalries or thinking about another quarterback," he told Mink. "I play offense, he plays offense. We've got to worry about each other's defenses."

Their rivalry really is just a narrative for media and fans to dissect. But it's a rich narrative. And the fact that they're quarterbacks on top teams in the same conference inevitably pits them against each other. They both have the same goal, i.e., winning Super Bowls, so they have to go through the other to get where they want to go. Yup, just like Brady and Manning for all those years.

It probably helps Jackson and the Ravens Monday night that they're playing the Chiefs in Baltimore for the first time with Jackson as the starter – yes, even with the stadium empty. And it surely helps that the Ravens have a better team than the ones that lost to Kansas City in 2018 and early last season. The defense has been significantly upgraded with Calais Campbell, Marcus Peters, Patrick Queen and others. The offense has more playmakers. Jackson himself has taken major strides forward in his development.

Nothing is assured, of course. To reach this game with a 2-0 record, the Ravens battered the Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans, with Jackson looking like a possible repeat MVP. Meanwhile, the Chiefs reached 2-0 when Mahomes rallied them to an overtime win on the road Sunday against the Los Angeles Chargers. They're the toughest of outs.

The NFL hype machine already is screaming in advance of what might be the matchup of the year in the league. Two dominant teams. Two unstoppable quarterbacks. A rivalry for the ages that, yes, is only going to get better.

Defense has a lot to clean up fer sure, but let's be real, they were missing 5 starters including both corners plus their best run defender (pennel).  And they gave up 20 points after all that yardage.  

How many games we win this year if the D gives up 20 points a game?  

Maybe lose 1 game total (looking at you short turnaround buffalo road game)?

Sure they can't play like that and win some of the games on our schedule.  But I don't see them playing like that very much; or at least our history with Mahomes suggests games like this are an aberration rather than the norm.

So all of that to say that, maybe, just maybe, some of the freaking out by chiefs fans is a little much.

27 minutes ago, xen said:

Defense has a lot to clean up fer sure, but let's be real, they were missing 5 starters including both corners plus their best run defender (pennel).  And they gave up 20 points after all that yardage.  

How many games we win this year if the D gives up 20 points a game?  

Maybe lose 1 game total (looking at you short turnaround buffalo road game)?

Sure they can't play like that and win some of the games on our schedule.  But I don't see them playing like that very much; or at least our history with Mahomes suggests games like this are an aberration rather than the norm.

So all of that to say that, maybe, just maybe, some of the freaking out by chiefs fans is a little much.

Its disheartening because we saw the defense progress so much through the year last season. Where they really looked like a formidable unit at seasons end and at times in the playoffs. So you get excited thinking they will build on it. Instead they've reverted back to where they were at the beginning of last yr.

16 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Its disheartening because we saw the defense progress so much through the year last season. Where they really looked like a formidable unit at seasons end and at times in the playoffs. So you get excited thinking they will build on it. Instead they've reverted back to where they were at the beginning of last yr.

Our starting corners are out along with the guy who beasted our entire run defense. 

This defense sucked without Pennel last year. Let's just call it as it is. He's more important than all of our starting linebackers