Chiefs vs Pats game thread

4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

A win is a win. NE lost because of awful QB play. Absolutely awful QB play. BB had KC offense on the ropes. But it does not matter. 13 in a row and 4-0. 

Yeah, I can't argue with that.

8 minutes ago, qnet said:

Maybe, but I'm not sure. The Chiefs seem to do just enough when they have to. At times I wish they would just pour it on, but I think that's me being spoiled. 

I think your right.  Andy doesn't show up other coaches.  And nobody beasts every team they play in the nfl.  Any day you get a win is a good day.

19 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I put my chiefs jersey on middle of 3rd quarter. Have worn it every game since last years win streak and yet to be washed until we lose a game. Thank god I only use it for games and at my house too.

I don’t want to call us heroes... so I'll let others do that.

Again our LB's are a huge liability.   Wilson couldn't disengage and Harris ripped off that huge run.   We got some very favorably calls tonight and Mahomes didn't look particularly sharp.   BB deserves credit for this.   Our C is meh and our RG is replacement-level player.   Not sure why we kept trying to run up the gut on our right side.   We came out lethargic but found a way to win.  Taco has to be earning more and more reps.  He's the 2nd best end and it's not close.

Like others have said, your not gonna be dominant every game and destroy teams every single week.  We won by 26 and made numerous errors ourselves (Watkins fumble).  

I'll take the win and no major injuries and move on to next week.  

BB used the 49ers/chargers plan with front 4 pressure, few blitzes and tweaked it with 6 DBs.  Chiefs have not looked great for large chunks of those games but won all of them.  Eventually we'll get that figured out.  Solution probably revolves around better pass blocking.

4 hours ago, xen said:

BB used the 49ers/chargers plan with front 4 pressure, few blitzes and tweaked it with 6 DBs.  Chiefs have not looked great for large chunks of those games but won all of them.  Eventually we'll get that figured out.  Solution probably revolves around better pass blocking.

I was disappointed in our blocking tonight.  There were times were 3 rushers were pushing the pocket.   With that said we have to be more efficient vs these sort of defenses. Also tonight wasn't Mahomes best game.  He looked avg at times which is bound to happen to even the most elite.   His bad pass kept Watkins from scoring and he missed a few more drifting back and throwing off his back foot.   I'm sure Andy and Pat will get it all worked out.   Got the win and that is all that matters.   Getting Breeland and Jones back next week will definitely help as well.

Reid seems to be going rather conservative with the playcalling in some games. Not sure if he wants other areas to develop or keep some tricks for the playoffs but overall I'm expecting to see such offensive performances repeat this year unless Reid feels the urgency. 

This offense is still capable of hanging a 40 burger on most teams. The formula for keeping the explosions from happening is to do what BB did. Rush 4 (sometimes 3) and drop a lot of guys in coverage. 

I'm more impressed with the defense as a whole. 14th overall, 2nd in points allowed and that's without Breeland and missing Chris Jones last night. Remember when we all said "if we just had an average defense we were good enough to win it all?" Here we go! Spags proved the doubters wrong.

5 minutes ago, dhitter said:

This offense is still capable of hanging a 40 burger on most teams. The formula for keeping the explosions from happening is to do what BB did. Rush 4 (sometimes 3) and drop a lot of guys in coverage. 

I'm more impressed with the defense as a whole. 14th overall, 2nd in points allowed and that's without Breeland and missing Chris Jones last night. Remember when we all said "if we just had an average defense we were good enough to win it all?" Here we go! Spags proved the doubters wrong.

I wish our oline was good enough to make RUN the ball and makes teams pay for these light  boxes we've been seeing. We're gonna start to see them more and more because that strategy seems to slow us down significantly. 

Our Center and RG suck. And our LB's are STILL bad (Hitch and Wilson). I guess nobody's perfect right??

6 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I'm seeing lots of chatter about the Mahomes in-the-grasp, we were on the wrong end of the worst in-the-grasp call ever in the Tennessee playoff game, this one I think was at least close to justified, so everyone else can die mad about it.

Chiefs got lots of good breaks last night. Mahommes could have been picked 2 or 3 times. A win is a win. Even Mahommes admitted he had an off night. Chiefs defense continues to get better every week. This is the most balanced Chiefs team that I can remember.

16 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I'm seeing lots of chatter about the Mahomes in-the-grasp, we were on the wrong end of the worst in-the-grasp call ever in the Tennessee playoff game, this one I think was at least close to justified, so everyone else can die mad about it.

I don't remember what happened in the Titans game, but the in-the-grasp call happened in the SB with Jimmy G. The differences were it was 4th down instead of 3rd. 

I thought it was a fumble at the time, but looking back at, and thinking about some other games; they called it like they have in the past. 

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

It was pretty uninspired.  I don't know how much the schedule change and lack of Cam affected the team focus, but it seemed like they just thought they would come out and dick slap the Patriots with Hoyer at QB. 

I agree. They did the same against the chargers. 
I think Reid sets the tone with a vanilla play card. As someone mentioned Reid doesn’t like to show up other teams but he also does not like to show all the play designs. This team as we saw against Baltimore  can pretty much beat the crap out of teams when the leash is released. Reid will either release or not release the leash depending upon the game and within the game. 
It drives me nuts and I think that’s why I have high skirt syndrome. 

I think you can write off struggling in any one game with some reasonable explanations.  The Chargers and Patriots seem to be the two worst matchups for us when we're on offense, and the curveballs at QB (or the schedule in the case of NE) can create weirdness.

However, I'm a little concerned that we've really only played well in spurts - halves and quarters at most.  I wish we had more of a killer instinct.  Sometimes I feel like Andy is experimenting rather than playing to win.

But as we've all said, 4-0 is 4-0.  If I had missed the first month of the season you easily could have described our struggles on O and D to me in such a way that would have led me to believe we were 2-2 or 1-3.  But we're not.  If we figure it out all, watch out.  But I hope we're not still saying that in December.

4 minutes ago, qnet said:

I don't remember what happened in the Titans game, but the in-the-grasp call happened in the SB with Jimmy G. The differences were it was 4th down instead of 3rd. 

I thought it was a fumble at the time, but looking back at, and thinking about some other games; they called it like they have in the past. 

Good point about Jimmy G, but I'm shocked you don't remember the Titans play.

45 minutes ago, artsy said:

I wish our oline was good enough to make RUN the ball and makes teams pay for these light  boxes we've been seeing. We're gonna start to see them more and more because that strategy seems to slow us down significantly. 

Our Center and RG suck. And our LB's are STILL bad (Hitch and Wilson). I guess nobody's perfect right??

This concerns me.  The Pats played with 6DB's a lot last night.  JC Jackson was at linebacker,  and we still couldn't run the ball. 

I wish Rankins was coming back to play RG. Maybe try Allegretti at center. See if he can bully inside a little.  Reiter is so bad

I know we haven't played the most talented wideouts so far this year besides Allen. I'm liking what I see out of Fenton and Sneed when he was playing. Merritt and Madison got these boys playing tuff and aggressive ball.