Chiefs vs Pats game thread

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

BB gave it to him to avoid the embarrassment.

Is everyone sure that BB will really start Hoyer instead of Stidhem?  BB is a master of misdirection.  Also, how does Hoyer change the Chiefs' defense?  He isn't much of a run threat, especially compared to Cam but I don't recall seeing him play.  Just hope the Chiefs don't lay an egg like they did at LAC when the QB was changed. 

24 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Is everyone sure that BB will really start Hoyer instead of Stidhem?  BB is a master of misdirection.  Also, how does Hoyer change the Chiefs' defense?  He isn't much of a run threat, especially compared to Cam but I don't recall seeing him play.  Just hope the Chiefs don't lay an egg like they did at LAC when the QB was changed

Not sure I would say we laid an egg va Herbert.  Kid looks like a real franchise qb.  House and Stidham aren’t in that league.   We will be fine if our LBs can tackle and build on the Balt game.

It feels to me like the Chiefs have a long history of struggling against QBs they shouldn't struggle against, especially when there is no tape on that QB.  That feeling goes back many years and crosses several coordinators and player eras.  I don't know how well that feeling I have reflects reality, statistically speaking or otherwise.

Having said that, Herbert was a high draft pick with a lot of upside and based on his last two weeks I agree with Lamardirts, it seems like he's actually good even if he's only a rookie.

We shut down Deshaun and LJ8 better than Hebert.  All three teams scored 20 on us but that was 13 points of garbage time for the Texans and 7 special teams points for the Ravens.  I think that says something about Herbert.

16 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

It feels to me like the Chiefs have a long history of struggling against QBs they shouldn't struggle against, especially when there is no tape on that QB.  That feeling goes back many years and crosses several coordinators and player eras.  I don't know how well that feeling I have reflects reality, statistically speaking or otherwise.

Having said that, Herbert was a high draft pick with a lot of upside and based on his last two weeks I agree with Lamardirts, it seems like he's actually good even if he's only a rookie.

We shut down Deshaun and LJ8 better than Hebert.  All three teams scored 20 on us but that was 13 points of garbage time for the Texans and 7 special teams points for the Ravens.  I think that says something about Herbert.

I agree with you.  I think what you alluded to in your first paragraph is true . You may have a feeling about the Chiefs history, but in reality it really doesn't mean anything. I've thought like that in the the past, so I know where you're coming from; but they are either going to struggle or not, and we have no control over it.

That's what's fun about football, it's so unpredictable, but looking at things realistically makes it less stressfull, at least for myself. 

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

Herbert has proven he is special. 

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

Herbert has proven he is special. 

3 games doesn't prove shit.  That's why so many QBs have had 1 good year and then never repeated it after enough tape was available to figure them out.  That argument was even used on mahomes after his first year and that was a first year like no one else has ever had.

Considering how uneven he was in college i would bet he'll have some really shitty days this year.  That was his M.O. in college anyway.  Great performances followed by crap.

14 hours ago, xen said:

3 games doesn't prove shit.  That's why so many QBs have had 1 good year and then never repeated it after enough tape was available to figure them out.  That argument was even used on mahomes after his first year and that was a first year like no one else has ever had.

Considering how uneven he was in college i would bet he'll have some really shitty days this year.  That was his M.O. in college anyway.  Great performances followed by crap.

Btw I'm not saying he won't be good, or that he won't learn to be consistent.  Just saying wait for it...

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

Usually guys who are good early end up being at least decent, although there are counterexamples I'm sure.

Lets see. Chargers have an awful oline, horrible coaching and injuries galore. Yet this kid is doing some great things. If Mahomes started year one what would that have looked like? Probably better because the KC offense was already excellent and the REID factor. So if Herbert were on the CHiefs what would it look like? This kid is the real deal. 

4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Lets see. Chargers have an awful oline, horrible coaching and injuries galore. Yet this kid is doing some great things. If Mahomes started year one what would that have looked like? Probably better because the KC offense was already excellent and the REID factor. So if Herbert were on the CHiefs what would it look like? This kid is the real deal. 

I think this is probably the crux of my questions.  I dont trust that chargers staff to fix herbert.

Yes if he was with Andy or Belichick my opinion would be much different.

17 minutes ago, xen said:

Baker Mayfield, Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, and RG III all said to tell you hi!

Well, first off, I said there were counterexamples.  But you're stretching with some of these.

• Mayfield - maybe a true counterexample
  • Trubisky - I disagree that he looked that good early on
  • Jones - a little bit of what I said for Trubisky, plus there is still time for him to turn it around
  • RG III - obviously injuries don't really count for this discussion

Re: Blackledge

I'm too young to have watched him play but his game logs don't support the idea that he was "good" early on.  In 1983 he got limited work (no games started) and was efficient but didn't pass for very many yards.  In 1984 when I presume he became the regular starter he struggled out of the gate.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlacTo00/gamelog/1983/
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlacTo00/gamelog/1984/