Defensive Backs

Now that Breeland is back, how do the Chiefs play their corners?  Will they slowly ease Breeland back in, move Fenton to nickel,, or start Fenton and Ward with Breeland on the bench?  Fenton has played well since Sneed went down.  Then if Sneed comes back in a month, what do they do with him?  It will be nice if one can cover the slot receiver and HB gets back to roving all over the field.  Seems strange to be asking about extra defensive backs when the team looked so short there a week or two ago.  Even Thompson has looked worthy of getting playing time and and Thornhill is getting back to form.

It is just so beautiful that we are even having the discussion about what to about all these solid corners. The future is Ward, Snead and Fenton in that order. I give those guys the majority of outside snaps. Injuries change the game. Bree Bree is very skilled but not very young and not very fast. He is my band aid. Keep him healthy but active. He is a big stage baller on short routes. Fenton’s skill set reminds me of him. 
The plan for the DBs is hope, pray and sacrifice a goat that the Badger stays healthy.

It's been several years since I've visited an opposing fans' site, so I meandered over to one of the Raider boards and, surprisingly, they're not drinking any Kool-Aid and are expecting a completely one-sided ass-whooping this weekend.  

Consensus on their board seems to be that Carr sucks (I largely agree), Paul Guenther is a terribly D coordinator that's about to get fired and with a banged up o-line, Jacobs has regressed.  Not one post that I read in 3-pages of a thread even thought/hoped they could make it a respectable game.  We shall see, but I sure hope they're right.  Gross, I just threw-up in my mouth for having any reason to agree with a Raider fan.    

EDIT:  I mistakenly thought I was in the Raiders Week thread when I posted this.  Sorry for swerving the thread.

1 hour ago, TomahawkChop said:

It's been several years since I've visited an opposing fans' site, so I meandered over to one of the Raider boards and, surprisingly, they're not drinking any Kool-Aid and are expecting a completely one-sided ass-whooping this weekend.  

Consensus on their board seems to be that Carr sucks (I largely agree), Paul Guenther is a terribly D coordinator that's about to get fired and with a banged up o-line, Jacobs has regressed.  Not one post that I read in 3-pages of a thread even thought/hoped they could make it a respectable game.  We shall see, but I sure hope they're right.  Gross, I just threw-up in my mouth for having any reason to agree with a Raider fan.    

EDIT:  I mistakenly thought I was in the Raiders Week thread when I posted this.  Sorry for swerving the thread.

No need to apologize...Raiders are disgusting in any thread

16 hours ago, DieHard said:

It is just so beautiful that we are even having the discussion about what to about all these solid corners. The future is Ward, Snead and Fenton in that order. I give those guys the majority of outside snaps. Injuries change the game. Bree Bree is very skilled but not very young and not very fast. He is my band aid. Keep him healthy but active. He is a big stage baller on short routes. Fenton’s skill set reminds me of him. 
The plan for the DBs is hope, pray and sacrifice a goat that the Badger stays healthy.

Ward is a RFA after this season, wouldn't be surprised if they tender him with a high pick. 

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

Ward is a RFA after this season, wouldn't be surprised if they tender him with a high pick. 

I think he could absolutely price himself out of KC.  If Sneed continues to develop and produce when he gets back that softens the blow about a possible Ward departure.   I could see someone trading a 2nd for Ward.   With needs at OL, LB, WR and CB an added pick would certainly help if we can't afford Ward.   At this point I'm glad we have a competent group of DB's considering we didn't invest much of anything in the position.    $4 million, UDFA, 4th Rouhd, & a 6th Rounder.   

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

I think he could absolutely price himself out of KC.  If Sneed continues to develop and produce when he gets back that softens the blow about a possible Ward departure.   I could see someone trading a 2nd for Ward.   With needs at OL, LB, WR and CB an added pick would certainly help if we can't afford Ward.   At this point I'm glad we have a competent group of DB's considering we didn't invest much of anything in the position.    $4 million, UDFA, 4th Rouhd, & a 6th Rounder.   

We invested more draft capital in a DB that was cut after his first TC than we did for this group. Scouting & coaching got a lot better over time. 

• 3 weeks later...

run defense may be the single aspect of the game today that is most overrated by fans.  You just need to be able to slow the opponents run game a bit when you have a team like ours.  If you can't pass on us you likely can't keep up.  Our 1 loss was a failure in pass defense.

Meh I still think most teams have schemed ball control against us.  Thus they run run run which would of course make our passing yards per games be super low.

Is it better than I expected?  YES 

Is it the best passing D in the NFL like it says on paper?  HELLZ NO

59 minutes ago, Balto said:

Meh I still think most teams have schemed ball control against us.  Thus they run run run which would of course make our passing yards per games be super low.

Is it better than I expected?  YES 

Is it the best passing D in the NFL like it says on paper?  HELLZ NO

We're right in the middle of the list for total passing attempts by opposing teams so not sure the facts support that.

15 minutes ago, xen said:

We're right in the middle of the list for total passing attempts by opposing teams so not sure the facts support that.

I think generally what happens is:

A.  Teams scheme to run the ball against us.

B.  Teams run the ball against us for 2-3 drives. 

C.  We score a lot of points.

D.  Teams are forced to pass a lot.

E.  We play pretty good defense when we make teams 1 dimensional in the passing game.  Spags is pretty good when he knows you have to throw. 

Look at the drive charts and compare first quarters with second halves.  Most of the time we score people out of their game plan. 

2 hours ago, xen said:

run defense may be the single aspect of the game today that is most overrated by fans.  You just need to be able to slow the opponents run game a bit when you have a team like ours.  If you can't pass on us you likely can't keep up.  Our 1 loss was a failure in pass defense.

another fact about those clock-chewing, run-first offenses is that once they get into the red zone, the compressed field makes it a bit easier to defend the run, thereby forcing throws on 3rd and long etc

teams waste 6-7 minutes driving downfield and often settle for a FG which plays into our quick-strike gameplan