Will The Chiefs have to find a new OC after this year?

The there's no way he doesn't get hired.  I just hope some other asshole owner doesn't get cute and steal Kafka.  He's the logical next OC.  Remember Andy blocked Philly from hiring him as OC this past offseason.  Since he wasn't going to be calling plays the nfl doesn't consider that a major step up so a team can block it.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Bieniemy didn't have enough experience at OC to leave last year but that won't be the case this offseason. At this point I'm wondering if he lasts until the end of the season or if he leaves much sooner. 

I’m SURE a team can block another team regardless of position if it’s during the season.  Zero chance of that happening 

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Bieniemy didn't have enough experience at OC to leave last year but that won't be the case this offseason. At this point I'm wondering if he lasts until the end of the season or if he leaves much sooner. 

I read somewhere that he cannot be hired away until the offseason, plus his contract is finished att so he will be a true Free Agent

He had the same amount of experience as an OC as Nagy and more experience as an OC than who the Browns hired.  

If the Texans are true to their word they are gonna hire the GM  first after the season then look at head coach plus I think EB wants to see this season thru and be a part of back to back.  

Plenty of guys get hired with his amount of experience or less.  This is Bieniemy's 3rd year as OC.  Nagy was only OC for two years.  Pederson was OC for three, and that's just our team.  Plenty of guys have been hired without direct coordinator experience at all.  His experience isn't the issue.  I'm not saying what is the issue - obviously a lot of people are saying race, I'm not saying that is or isn't right.  But "not enough experience" just doesn't hold water.

Also, I agree with Balto, no way he can be hired during the season without the Chiefs permission, which they wouldn't give.  Andy wants Eric to get a job, but after the season.

In terms of the rules I know that he cannot be hired during the season. However the question is will the Chiefs actually force him to stay in town if there's an option he's willing to pursue. Kafka is probably waiting to take over and a possible switch during the season might not be that bad for either man. 

Regarding the time he has been an OC long enough to get hired but Reid has been very active in most of that process due to Mahomes which probably lowers the overall experience for EB. Still he was very close last year so someone can always pull the trigger. 

I agree that the best argument against Bieniemy is that you don't know how much is Reid and how much is Bieniemy.  But again, you would have to make the exact same case against Nagy.  Same amount of time as OC, same team structure.

As for the "being hired during the year" thing I just don't think it would happen.  I can't remember a case when it happened - not saying it hasn't, I just can't remember - and there are NFL rules that probably come into play (along with a coaches' union, I think?).

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Hmmmm guess we could trade EB to the Texans?  I’d be ok doing this mid season

EB would have to agree as coaches contracts don't transfer to a new team.  Can't see Andy agreeing to that in the middle of a challenging superbowl run.  

EB will get the short end of the stick like other Chiefs coordinators going forward. Unless there's a major issue that cuts the season short he or another coordinator will have to wait until late January or February to start their new job. That's only possible if he agrees on a move during the playoffs as no team will wait on a possible HC for 2-3 months without anything written on paper or put all their eggs in a single basket and compete with other teams. 

Reid doesn't like to hold his coordinators back so if there's a good opportunity that the coordinator is very much interested in I think he'll ease the process for those guys. I imagine he would be more strict with a guy like Spags or another DC but on offense it'll be a very different story. 

That's just not how it works.

Guys who make deep playoff runs are at a disadvantage for the interview process, but they can still interview under certain circumstances.  If a team wants them, they just come to a verbal understanding during the playoffs and wait until it's over.

It's how we hired Haley.  Happens all the time.

That's the normal way but most teams also don't want to wait a few months for those candidates since that means less time to work on the roster and prepare for the draft. Hence "settle" for available options, which is why successful ones always get the short end of the stick. I'm just speculating of course but I wouldn't be surprised if Reid lets a coordinator or two break the regular flow and actually leave early.