Osemele is Done!

32 minutes ago, xen said:

You can't pay everyone at every position y'all.  Andy devalues interior line play, schemes around the problems that creates, and frees that money up to spend elsewhere.   

Seems a reasonable strategy as I can't remember a team that won a superbowl on the strength of their interior offensive line.

Still couldn't hurt to invest a higher pick there once in awhile. I guess they did with Niang, but center needs fixed too.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Still couldn't hurt to invest a higher pick there once in awhile. I guess they did with Niang, but center needs fixed too.

Oh I agree.  Been 5 years or so since they invested a 2nd round pick on Morse.  I think niang is viewed as more of a tackle they can kick inside if he doesn't work out on the outside 

11 minutes ago, xen said:

Oh I agree.  Been 5 years or so since they invested a 2nd round pick on Morse.  I think niang is viewed as more of a tackle they can kick inside if he doesn't work out on the outside 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Veach make a trade for interior help from a team that’s about out of the playoff race. Osemele going down leaves the team thin and Rankins won’t be ready for a couple more weeks (based on what I read Andy saying recently). Jets, Giants, Texans, Niners, etc.  Not necessarily a superstar, but someone steady for a mid round pick could be huge.  I don’t follow other teams close enough to know, but there could be somebody on the last year of their deal that could be had for a 10-game rental season. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

How's that gonna work? Schwartz is here another yr at an affordable number. Niang never played LT at TCU. I know Fisher is a prime cut candidate with them being able to free up 11 mill there. But would they trust Niang with Pats blindside? He will essentially be a rookie, albeit one with 1st rd talent.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

How's that gonna work? Schwartz is here another yr at an affordable number. Niang never played LT at TCU. I know Fisher is a prime cut candidate with them being able to free up 11 mill there. But would they trust Niang with Pats blindside? He will essentially be a rookie, albeit one with 1st rd talent.

Well I think the opt out threw a giant wrench in the plan

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Niang had no good reason to opt out. I would not trust him at all. Lack of desire to me. A take the money and loaf guy. What rookie gives up a year on a Superbowl Team? This guy will be a bad pick.

7 hours ago, xen said:

You can't pay everyone at every position y'all.  Andy devalues interior line play, schemes around the problems that creates, and frees that money up to spend elsewhere.   

Seems a reasonable strategy as I can't remember a team that won a superbowl on the strength of their interior offensive line.

I agree.  One thing I'd like to see different though is to get bigger and stronger interior guys.  Like Osemele.  Or even Rankin. They can wall off in pass pro better and move people at the point of attack.  Get the sort yardage situations.  

It's an assumption but I think Rankins starts when he gets back and is a starter next year.   We have Fisher and Schwartz and Niang as tackle spots.  This is interesting as Schwartz is having a down year, which is still better than most RT, and Fisher is not even playing average.  Niang is somewhat of an unknown.  Not sure what to think about LDT since he's been away from football for a year and is to pricy to cut so he will probably be the swing interior lineman.    The biggest areas of need are a stud C and an upgrade at LG.    If Veach could trade a mid rounder for Jason Kelce that might work as a stop-gap for this year and next.    We have issues at CB, DE and especially LB to go along with line needs.   Eventually we are going to have to hit on a couple linemen in the draft or we might be looking at a repeat of the GB years under mccarthy.

13 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Niang had no good reason to opt out. I would not trust him at all. Lack of desire to me. A take the money and loaf guy. What rookie gives up a year on a Superbowl Team? This guy will be a bad pick.

I dont think he will be a bad pick, but opting out is a really bad look. 

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

It's an assumption but I think Rankins starts when he gets back and is a starter next year.   We have Fisher and Schwartz and Niang as tackle spots.  This is interesting as Schwartz is having a down year, which is still better than most RT, and Fisher is not even playing average.  Niang is somewhat of an unknown.  Not sure what to think about LDT since he's been away from football for a year and is to pricy to cut so he will probably be the swing interior lineman.    The biggest areas of need are a stud C and an upgrade at LG.    If Veach could trade a mid rounder for Jason Kelce that might work as a stop-gap for this year and next.    We have issues at CB, DE and especially LB to go along with line needs.   Eventually we are going to have to hit on a couple linemen in the draft or we might be looking at a repeat of the GB years under mccarthy.

At CB we have what looks to be a damn good young trio in Sneed, Ward. And Fenton. I wouldnt say we have issues, unless you mean depth behind them.

At DE I think Danna looks like a potential answer. But Kpass is a UFA, along with Taco and Okafor is injury prone and they can free up a nice chunk with his release. So definitely work to be done there.

LB is a complete shit show. Then need premium athletes there. Gay will be good, but these other bums...

And o line needs more attention in the offseason too. Schwartz, Rankin, and Niang should all start somewhere. But center needs to be fixed. And a decision on Fisher as well.

Lot of work to be done. Veach did spend a 2nd on a LB and a 3rd on an o lineman. A similar investment in the next draft would help. 

7 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont think he will be a bad pick, but opting out is a really bad look. 

It really is a bad look for Niang, unless he had a setback with his hip or a family member had Covid and the news was never made public. The plan for him was start out at G, and the opportunity was there with LDT opting out.