Mahomes pressured 28 times yesterday...

https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/28921/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-cant-overcome-prolonged-dry-spell-this-time

• Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- For the third time in four weeks, the offense of the Kansas City Chiefs looked out of sorts for a large chunk of the game, with quarterback Patrick Mahomes being pressured and his receivers unable to get consistent separation from coverage.

The difference on Sunday, was that the prolonged dry spell cost the Chiefs a victory.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It caught up with us today," Mahomes said after a 40-32 loss to the Las Vegas Raiders at Arrowhead Stadium. "We've got to go back and really look at ourselves in the mirror ... and not rely on these crazy plays where I'm scrambling around and throwing these shots and just execute the offense the way that it's called and run the way it's supposed to be run. If we do that, we'll be a hard team to stop."

Follow the NFL all season long

nfl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueEverything you need this week:
 Full schedule » | Standings »
 Depth charts for every team »
 Transactions » | Injuries »
 Football Power Index rankings »
More NFL coverage »

The Chiefs scored 24 points in the first half, matching the Raiders' output. But they lost the game during the third quarter and first half of the fourth, when the Raiders scored 16 points and the Chiefs were shut out.

The Chiefs managed a touchdown in the final four minutes to make things interesting, but it wasn't enough. The scoreless spell mirrored similar unproductive stretches for the offense against the Chargers and Patriots. As he was in those games, Mahomes was often under pressure without the opponent having to blitz and receivers had trouble getting open.

Las Vegas blitzed only three times, or on 6% of Mahomes' dropbacks (Mahomes went 3-for-3 for 85 yards on those plays). That's the second-lowest blitz rate he has faced in his career. Still, the Raiders got pressure on Mahomes 28 times in 48 dropbacks (57%) -- the second-highest pressure rate of Mahomes' career.

If the Chiefs don't protect better against three or four pass-rushers or don't get open quicker against seven or eight defenders in coverage, their offensive struggles might continue.

The Raiders got pressure on Patrick Mahomes 28 times in 48 dropbacks and they did it without having to blitz. AP Photo/Charlie Riedel

"We had one bad quarter, but when you're playing a team that's hot like they were, one bad quarter loses you a football game," Mahomes said.

The Chiefs lost two touchdowns to penalties. They recovered one of the drives to kick a field goal but punted on the other. Those lost 11 points would have been useful in an eight-point defeat.

They also had a 10-yard holding penalty on first down on two first half drives and wound up punting.

"Anytime you're going backwards, holding calls and things of that nature, it doesn't really give the offense a chance to succeed," tackle Mitchell Schwartz said. "Against a good team especially, you can't have negative plays ... the percentages of touchdown drives especially plummet when you give up a sack or you give up a penalty.

"It definitely has to be better. We know that and coming out that's probably going to be the biggest thing that we work on."

The Chiefs have been good at overcoming those types of setbacks but weren't on Sunday.

"In this league, when you're in first-and-20, second-and-20, it's hard to get first downs," Mahomes said. "We've been spoiled that we've kind of done it well these last few years but you don't want to be in those positions."

1 minute ago, Calichief said:

Maybe run the ball a little more. Even the four man rush we are seeing isn't respecting the run game. 

yes, this! But I think we complain about this every year since reids been here, right??

It seems like Reid will move away from the run if we don't break a big gain the first few times we try it. 

Of course, when CEH is getting hit in the backfield, I guess I can see why..

Just now, xen said:

With all the negatives from this game, its probably a good tije to point out that every team has issues, and KC hadn't lost a game in over 330 days.  I would think think they've earned some trust to get this fixed.  They've done so before.

But Mahomes lost a game by more than 7 points first time in 49 games......

We've got to go back and really look at ourselves in the mirror ... and not rely on these crazy plays where I'm scrambling around and throwing these shots and just execute the offense the way that it's called and run the way it's supposed to be run.

IMO Patrick did what he was supposed to do,  it's guys like keiser and Robinson that need to look in the mirror...i am not a fan of either of these guys right now

11 minutes ago, xen said:

With all the negatives from this game, its probably a good time to point out that every team has issues, and KC hadn't lost a game in over 330 days.  I would think think they've earned some trust to get this fixed.  They've done so before.

KC is Everyones super bowl right now... going to get the whole playbook and every trick. they have nothing to lose. Adversity is good right now.

14 minutes ago, xen said:

With all the negatives from this game, its probably a good time to point out that every team has issues, and KC hadn't lost a game in over 330 days.  I would think think they've earned some trust to get this fixed.  They've done so before.

I dont disagree. And they can game plan things that will mask some deficiencies. I think they also planned on having Rankin and Niang being their starting guards by mid-season. 

But its still a problem. All 3 interior guys are below average football players and thats the kind of problem that can derail an attempt at going back to back. 

2 hours ago, artsy said:

yes, this! But I think we complain about this every year since reids been here, right??

It seems like Reid will move away from the run if we don't break a big gain the first few times we try it. 

Of course, when CEH is getting hit in the backfield, I guess I can see why..

That seems to be the case. He even did that when Hunt was on the team. 

I knew the Raiders were going to get us sooner or later. 

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

We need a center and since Reiter is a FA? We may as well sign one and let him go. Drafting one might take to long and having a center in there that has the experience and fits our system would be a huge plus. Centers hitting FA next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/center/

Trade EB for Alex Mack?  

Also Eagles center Kelce has graded out as the top center in the NFL for years straight and it seems every off season rumors fly about him retiring or Eagles trading him.  Maybe we can get him cheap for rest of the Super Bowl and maybe another year after while we groom someone?

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

Patrick has to stop bailing early and floating backwards. He needs to step up in the pockets. Some of those can be avoided if he steps up. He has admitted it himself. 

I don't give AF how he moves in the pocket... as long as he avoids contact

he took some awkward hits yesterday and that blind side hit from behind could have been a disaster