Chiefs bring back LB Smith for a visit

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

Not sure if it's a desperation move due to injuries like Hitchens or simply a search for an upgrade. Either way we should be bringing any decent LB we can find. 

There's better players than this on the open market. Reid is just so huge into continuity he doesn't want to go out and sign a street guy if he can help it. 

9 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

There's better players than this on the open market. Reid is just so huge into continuity he doesn't want to go out and sign a street guy if he can help it. 

maybe in this case its more Spags?? Seems to me he's earned the right to pick who he wants

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

maybe in this case its more Spags?? Seems to me he's earned the right to pick who he wants

Could be. I just think this, along with IOL, areas where we are struggling enough that it merits looking for outside help. But I'm not paid to make football decisions. 

If the Chiefs come out and play with their hair on fire with something to prove Monday, and they still struggle in those areas, its time to shake things up with regard to personnel. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The IOL problems are understandable with LDT and Niang opting out and Osemele gone.  The issues with Neiman and Sorenson were predictable and should have been addressed long ago.  One big play in the Titan's playoff game does make a LB valuable long term. 

LDT didn’t much better than who we have right now.  I think he was a cut candidate which is why he reworked his deal.   LDT never has and imo never will be anything more than a slightly below avg lineman.   So I put this group in with your Nieman and Sorensen issues that should have been addressed.   

I wonder if the Falcons are sellers now?  What about a guy like Deion Jones?  He has been a top 5 LB in the NFL since he was drafted in 2016 and is only 25 years old.  The major problem with this type of trade is that the Falcons just signed him to a LARGE contract a year ago and would not save any real cap space for trading him, they would just gain the picks.

My thinking is the reports of gutting the team which even includes replacing Matty ice could led to them looking for draft capital.

I'd propose:

Falcons get:

Chiefs 2021 1st round pick

Chiefs get:

Deion Jones, LB

Alex Mack, Center

Jones would cost us:

2021:  $8.68M

2022:  $10.14M

2023:  $12.42M

Alex Mack would cost us:

Is a FA after this year so would be a gap player unless we give him a new contract.  Mack would make such an upgrade at center for us.

I can see the Chiefs trading a third day draft pick for Mack.  Not sure he would help that much, but couldn't hurt.  Jones is just too expensive.  I don't see how the Chiefs afford him with a lower cap next season.  They just have to muddle through this season and hammer the IOL and LB positions in next year's draft.  Still bummed out that Niang isn't learning and the Chiefs can't find out what they have in him. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

I can see the Chiefs trading a third day draft pick for Mack.  Not sure he would help that much, but couldn't hurt.  Jones is just too expensive.  I don't see how the Chiefs afford him with a lower cap next season.  They just have to muddle through this season and hammer the IOL and LB positions in next year's draft.  Still bummed out that Niang isn't learning and the Chiefs can't find out what they have in him. 

Cut Hitchens

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yeah, I think he will be, but with needs in the O-line and probably replacing Sammy along with the very tight cap space, I don't see a home run FA signing.

I agree and is why I think we don’t have an option of “replacing Sammy”.  That role will go to Hardman or ever steps up.  Sammy’s cap will be eaten by current contracts/Oline patches