5 reasons to still believe in the Chiefs

Five reasons to believe in the Kansas City Chiefs

By MAGGIE HENDRICKS

The Chiefs had a shockingly good start under Andy Reid, but slowed down as the playoffs neared. Can they improve upon last season? There are plenty of reasons to believe this is a team that can get to the Super Bowl.

usatsi_7630991.jpg?w=640&h=413

( John Rieger-USA TODAY Sports)

A refocused Dwayne Bowe: His 2013 production lagged. In fact, running back Jamaal Charles led the Chiefs in reception yardage. Bowe has turned to a new diet and conditioning program to return him to the man who caught for more than 1100 yards in 2010 and 2011.

MORE:

usatsi_7617697.jpg?w=640&h=426

(Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports)

A still-scary pass rush:  Tamba Hali showed up to camp overweight, and Justin Houston is unhappy about his contract, but these aren’t factors to worry about once camp is over. With Hali, Houston, Dontari Poe and first-round pick Dee Ford disrupting the quarterback, the Chiefs can continue to keep opponents away from the end zone as well as they did last year.

usatsi_7618213.jpg?w=640&h=426

(Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports)

Jamaal Charles can do it all: Charles had 1,980 yards from scrimmage last season. His overall production has grown since he has started in the league. Knile Davis is expected to help out more, which should keep Charles healthy and productive. Of course, he came in asking for a new deal – can you blame him? — but the Chiefs were smart enough to give him what he wants.

MORE:

ap_cowboys_chiefs_football_58473056.jpg?

(AP Photo/Ed Zurga)

Andy Reid’s coaching chops: When coaching the Eagles, Andy Reid won  at least 11 games  and qualified for the playoffs in five consecutive seasons. Winning seasons are not aberrations for Reid. Even with changes to the roster, Reid knows how to win.

usatsi_7674007.jpg?w=640&h=446

(Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports)

Alex Smith looking for a long-term contract: Is Alex Smith a franchise quarterback? He has to prove it this year. Smith played well enough for the Chiefs to get to the playoffs, but not so well that the Chiefs extended his deal in the off-season. He can prove his worth this season, and make some cash afterwards.

This morning when I got in to work I spent about 30 mins on the Chiefs web site reviewing "Camp Happenings" and Interviews from yesterday. 

A few here may be a bit down on the Chiefs  but I am pretty fired up about this organization.

Alex Smith,Eric Berry, Jamal Charles, DJ, Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe, Colquitt  and Dontari Poe are all excellent  football players.

Anthony Sherman,Vance Walker, Sean Smith, Hussein Abdullah and Donnie Avery are proven starters.

Dee Ford, Eric Fisher, Rodney Hudson, Travis Kelce, Marcus Cooper and DeAnthony Thomas  are up and comers.

I think the Chiefs will be a very good team this year.

w

I agree West. We are going to surprise some people. I think the players look forward to proving themselves and embrace the harder schedule. I have a lot of hope and faith. If we beat Denver this year I will literally cry tears of joy. I want one of those games so bad.....

The number ONE reason to be optimistic this year.....we are all lifelong fans.   It flies in the face of logic.  Ask Pop what being a Chefs fan was like in 1977.   But I was a big fan then and remain one today.   Maybe a little more football savvy. Today but hope springs eternal.

I'm a bit concerned about the OL and CB... Fisher has to get better in his move to the left side because his 1st season was nothing to write home about. Jeff Allen is one of the worst guards in all of football, so he has to improve or sit. The RG situation is unsettled. Hopefully Stephenson's injury isn't serious at RT because there isn't much in depth to put faith in either.

As for CB, as bad as Flowers was at times last year he was still KC's best CB. While Lewis was bad at FS, some of it had to do with Sean Smith letting guys beat him deep more often than I prefer. We're asking last years flash, Cooper, to step up and a rookie 3rd round pick to compete for the outside. Ron Parker hasn't been a starter yet in his career and I don't know if he's any more than a backup/special teamer. Owens might man the slot, but he isn't your #1 or #2. I have high hopes for Gaines, but not this season. I'm concerned.

Parker and Abdullah will be good.

I really like Parker. He played well last year in the nickel at times and when he started against San Diego. I really think he has a good shot at beating out Smith and starting.

I really like Parker. He played well last year in the nickel at times and when he started against San Diego. I really think he has a good shot at beating out Smith and starting.

You have to like a guy who makes plays when he gets a chance. That's what Parker did last year. He's always around the ball.

Archived