Mahomes warming up for an MVP run?

43 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

This particular graphic is utterly insane and we saw it again today.  Struggled a lot until it counted.

It counted when it was 7-7 on our 5 yard line.   No bashing Mahomes but his performance today versus one of the worst passing Ds in the L was not an mvp performance.   It was terrible but just not good in Mahomes terms.  

Sorry, he still deserves MVP consideration.  Even after a rough outing.

• Generally agreed he's the best player/QB in the league by most measures and the eye test.
  • This year he's behind Rodgers in the traditional and advanced stats but he's a pretty clear 2nd place.
  • Compared to Rodgers, Mahomes has better pass catchers (call Hill and Adams roughly a wash then Kelce and KC's WR depth are superior) but worse RBs (Jones is better than anyone we have), while Rodgers has a MUCH better offensive line.  Similar defenses, I don't know how I would compare them exactly.  So the idea Mahomes has all this help and Rodgers doesn't I think is not just wrong, I think it's slightly backwards.
  • Defending Super Bowl champs, taking everyone's best shot and got to 14-1.
  • Multiple come from behind wins, and multiple dominating performances (until garbage time) against playoff teams.
  • Beat FIVE 10+ win teams on the road.
  • Also I thought this tweet was pretty good:  

4 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

It counted when it was 7-7 on our 5 yard line.   No bashing Mahomes but his performance today versus one of the worst passing Ds in the L was not an mvp performance.   It was terrible but just not good in Mahomes terms.  

Well it all counts.  Obviously I meant when they absolutely had to have it.  And when they were technically trailing, per the graphic.

A better argument against what I'm saying with regard to "when it counted" would be the dropped pick on the last drive.

He seemed skittish.  Pretty bad OL performance.  Reminiscent of the 1st LAC game.  Hopefully they can get healthy and clean that up for three weeks from now.

3 minutes ago, robgar said:

yep bad game 275 two touchdowns, and 1 pick. 

Funny he needs about 270 and 2 tds to hit the 5k and 40 td mark. Twice for him then in his first 3 years as a starter. Why I selfishly want him in for a half. Leading 40 plus tds in a season is 3 for a career by Rodgers and 5k yards is five by Brees.

50 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Well it all counts.  Obviously I meant when they absolutely had to have it.  And when they were technically trailing, per the graphic.

A better argument against what I'm saying with regard to "when it counted" would be the dropped pick on the last drive.

He seemed skittish.  Pretty bad OL performance.  Reminiscent of the 1st LAC game.  Hopefully they can get healthy and clean that up for three weeks from now.

I agree.  I just didn’t think today was a great or even good performance by his standards.  Without him we definitely don’t win today and while he might not win the MVP he’s still the best in the L.

8 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

One quarter for starters that are 100% healthy. Like a pre season game.

I’d think at least half

Mahomes in race for MVP

Kelce in race for most yards

Hill in race for most TDs

I just think Reid will let the guys play and go all out for half the game...build a lead so backups make sense and not a close game.

I'm going to make a bold statement:  you all are crazy / dead wrong if you think our big name starters see any significant action.

Reid's history in both Philadelphia and KC is CLEAR, he doesn't play the starters if there isn't something to play for.  Kareem Hunt getting the rushing title in 2017 I think is basically the only exception with KC, and he still only saw a series IIRC.  I don't think any of the things Balto mentioned will be worth risking playing the starters.

Also IIRC we even played backups when lower seeding was at stake (but not byes).

Find me a significant exception outside of Hunt, I triple dare anyone.

As for playing because we're "not right," well today they could have done that against a terrible defense and they didn't.  I think / hope they have just been playing for the playoffs the whole year.  They clearly get up for the big games and coast in what should be the easy games, to the point of playing with fire.  I hope it doesn't burn them in the playoffs, but I do think they will be more motivated.

I'm willing to bet the team isn't as concerned about their sloppy play as the rest of us are.  Who is right or wrong on that is TBD.  But I'm betting they think they will find the motivation with the playoffs here and fix things on the practice field, not in a game.

Again, I will be SHOCKED if I'm wrong.  I can envision a series, maybe.  I cannot envision a half or a quarter.  But really almost anything would be completely against Reid's history.

Rest everyone the max you can. I get rust in playoffs can lead to early loss. I know one can skip in the shower. But it takes one play to Mahomes to be like Dak or Smith as far as injury. If it happens when trying to clinch a bye or playoff seeding or playoffs or in the playoffs, so be it, but not unnecessary play for a half so we get an award or be one less week rusty. Stay in shape so injury isn’t more likely in the Divisional Round.

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Also even though I personally think Mahomes should still be getting serious consideration for MVP I think today sealed it for Rodgers in the minds of the majority of voters.

I agree, I just want to meet them (the packers) in the SB. 

11 hours ago, Balto said:

I’d think at least half

Mahomes in race for MVP

Kelce in race for most yards

Hill in race for most TDs

I just think Reid will let the guys play and go all out for half the game...build a lead so backups make sense and not a close game.

he lost it after  ARogs performance last night with 21-25 & 4 TD's

fuck that!

fuck that!

11 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Also even though I personally think Mahomes should still be getting serious consideration for MVP I think today sealed it for Rodgers in the minds of the majority of voters.

And in the snow! VS a team with a winning record! Not 4-11 team that fired their coach and GM

Just now, Handswarmer said:

And in the snow! VS a team with a winning record! Not 4-11 team that fired their coach and GM

Believe this was their best game.  They still have not done what we have and that is.....

The Chiefs have now faced a top-five defense on nine occasions with Patrick Mahomes as their starter, per @EliasSports. In those games, they are 9-0 and averaging 29.0 points per game. Pretty decent.